Predicting how long we will live based on family tree

So my conclusion from all this is, past performance is no guarantee of future results:D

We have the family tree of one grandmother back to 1793. The percentages of those who died in childhood or in war were comparable to their generations. About 80% of everyone else lived into their 80s and early 90s in eras when that was unusual. My grandmother lived to 105.

However, my brother, who has smoked since his teens, had a heart attack last year at age 59. I, who had no cardiac risk factors, had a heart attack last month at age 61. Our 58 year old sister is a bit scared. So much for antecedents.

Only one uncle died of a heart attack (of 5). Mom had angina and so do I. But worrying about it will make it worse. Que sera sera.

Some of us just have what it takes.

Attachments

• Untitledattachment00028.jpg
    Untitledattachment00028.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
LOL. This forum is the only place where dying = winning. 😏
I just don't want to loose the FI vs longevity game. I will plan for 95. If I croak before then and loose, I don't think I will care. If I am still living at 95, I am pretty sure I will still be FI, so I will win (no cat food) and still be happy!

I was going to reply to the older thread, but figured I would drop it here as that one gave me "this is an old thread warning". The older thread referenced a research paper by the Mayo-clinic "linking" long-distance endurance events to heart problems. Yet the abstract contradicts the paper:

However, this concept is still hypothetical and there is some inconsistency in the reported findings. Furthermore, lifelong vigorous exercisers generally have low mortality rates and excellent functional capacity.
-- http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(12)00473-9/abstract

So many studies just aren't very helpful when they really don't end up proving anything one way or the other.

cd :O)

According to government statistics:

When I was born, the life expectancy was 59.8 years

For those born today the life expectancy is 78.8 years.

More than half of the people who were born at the same time as me, are no longer here. Looking back on the names of people that I went to school with (through college)... I'd say the numbers are pretty close.

Have beaten the odds... :dance:

At my current age, my theoretical life expectancy is 9 more years... or age 89.

No hurry...:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom