Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
There are no receipts as Sue's students pay her in cash for the painting sessions.
Is Sue running a business and declaring the revenue to the IRS?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the moment she is not running a business. Her students just pay her cash, and I assume she declares the revenue to the IRS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

Is Sue running a business and declaring the revenue to the IRS?

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A friend of mine, let's call her Sue, gives private painting lessons. She has problems getting individual healthcare insurance because of her history of breast CA. All her customers pay her cash, by the session. Sue could theoretically set up a business with her partner, they both would add say $400 a month cash from their savings into the business' bank account, they would generate an annual small "profit" but both Sue and her partner would have their pre-conditions covered. So Sue would have her breast CA history covered, correct ?
"Income" would only be cash received from customers for services provided (in this case, painting lessons). Cash transferred from personal savings to the business would be a capital contribution and not income. Sue should keep good records of how much she received and from whom to support what she declares as income on Sch C.

Sue could deduct HI to the extent of income (after the 50% SE tax deduction) as long as the deduction doesn't result in a loss. Any HI that can;t be used on Sch C could be deducted on Sch A (subject to the 7.5% limitation).
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #24

I have discussed this with a CPA here. From what I understand, capital contributions can therefore be used indirectly to buy healthcare insurance. I would like to know if anyone here who has their own business has been able to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

"Income" would only be cash received from customers for services provided (in this case, painting lessons). Cash transferred from personal savings to the business would be a capital contribution and not income. Sue should keep good records of how much she received and from whom to support what she declares as income on Sch C.

Sue could deduct HI to the extent of income (after the 50% SE tax deduction) as long as the deduction doesn't result in a loss. Any HI that can;t be used on Sch C could be deducted on Sch A (subject to the 7.5% limitation).
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #25

Quote:
I have discussed this with a CPA here. From what I understand, capital contributions can therefore be used indirectly to buy healthcare insurance. I would like to know if anyone here who has their own business has been able to do this.
Oby, I know individuals in similar situations. The key to getting health care coverage for your friend (or anyone else in similar situation) is having verifiable schedule C income to prove she is a "business of one" and therefore qualifies as a small business. Health insurance companies must provide policies to small businesses. They can be underwritten, and in most states businesses of one or two employees have limited policy options, but they cannot be denied coverage. To be eligible as a small business, however, the owner will need to provide several years of tax and financial records to the insurance company. The State insurance regulatory board will have defined together with the major insurance companies the business activity needed to qualify this way.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Quote:
You didn't understand my point. Surely capital contributions can provide the cash that is used to pay premiums. However, the objective is to bet a tax benefit from the premiums and if the premiums are to be deductible, they are only deductible to the extent that you have income and capital contributions don't count as income.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oby, I know individuals in similar situations. The key to getting health care coverage for your friend (or anyone else in similar situation) is having verifiable schedule C income to prove she is a "business of one" and therefore qualifies as a small business. Health insurance companies must provide policies to small businesses. They can be underwritten, and in most states businesses of one or two employees have limited policy options, but they cannot be denied coverage. To be eligible as a small business, however, the owner will need to provide several years of tax and financial records to the insurance company. The State insurance regulatory board will have defined together with the major insurance companies the business activity needed to qualify this way.
In my case, I had just organized the business so I didn't have any tax returns but I provided my certificate of incorporation issued by the state and they accepted it.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #28

May I please ask you how you did this? Feel free to PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

In my case, I had just organized the business so I didn't have any tax returns but I provided my certificate of incorporation issued by the state and they accepted it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
May I please ask you how you did this? Feel free to PM me.
I organized an LLC for any consulting that I may do. It is a fairly simple form (one page IIRC) filed with the Secretary of State plus a fee ($25 IIRC) and then assuming that your paperwork is in order you receive articles of incorporation in a few weeks. I'm somewhat knowledgeable about such things from my work so I didn't need a lawyer - just worked my way through the forms.