Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My experience is this is the exception. Most in these parts make it a policy to not provide the PD measurement.
Agreed. That is why I keep going back to Costco. Offering a bit more is one way they stay ahead of their competitors who often act like chiselers.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I got my PD right off the printout from my last glasses order at Costco. You gotta love those guys!...........
I asked the optician at Costco for the PD and he said, "they'll measure it for you out there in the eyeglass department".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I asked the optician at Costco for the PD and he said, "they'll measure it for you out there in the eyeglass department".
But will they tell you what it is?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In my opinion, Zinni does a better job and is a bit cheaper based on what I bought over the years. Zinni's website is feature packed and easier to navigate.

Both places supply quality glasses for a great price.
I've ordered a couple of glasses from them in the past year.

Those two pairs cost me less than buying one pair at retail, even Costco.

But the frames are cheap and really seem more like stuff you can dispose of, not worry about swapping in new prescriptions.

I got plastic frames for the first time in a long time. Every time I wipe the lenses, the frame is creaking and the lenses seem to move around.

However, now I'm thinking about getting a pair of sunglasses from them, which would be pretty pricey (though still way cheaper than retail) with polarized lenses, high index, mirror coating.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The PD numbers where printed on the Rx/receipt sheet they gave me when I picked up the glasses. Costco is the only outfit where I have bought glasses that gives up that information without having to ask for it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've done very well with glasses from Costco, cost has been under $200 for variable bifocals. Some years ago, their optometrist got my daughter fitted with and using contact lenses when two private optometry practices couldn't.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the cost of ex glasses has been the source of widespread complaints.

Once I came across a forum for optometrists and opticians.

There's a lot of grousing about Costco, Warby Parker and especially all the online businesses.

Then recently one political party talked about improving consumer protections like airfares and FX glasses.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea, if I bought glasses there. Oddly the tech just marked the eye centers on a frame sample with clear lenses using a felt tipped pen, then measured with a ruler.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I use the method down the page in this article. Several methods are discussed and evaluated.

the Optician: Measuring Your Own Pupillary Distance
I find it difficult to be very accurate dotting my glasses with a pen as per the optician. It would seem that looking through pin holes in a card would get the same results provided the card was placed at the same distance from the eyes. When I look at an object 200 feet away I see one circle for 57, 58, and 60 mm so that's not very conclusive, either. When I focus close I get 57mm. So my guess would be 60 for distance and 57 for near if using the standard 3mm difference.
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Warby Parkers gets good reviews but for their prices I could go to COSTCO or wally at least if they can't get them right I can return them for full refund.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It is too bad that Zenni gave me better service than my local $500 per glasses shop. I was more satisfied working with someone in China than my own local shop.

My doc wrote a script, I asked for it and told them, "sorry, I'm going on-line because I want 4 pair." These are long distance readers computer monitor distance. I wanted a bunch of them to throw around.

Doc wrote the script right, but the incompetent office, which is associated with the opticians, transposed some numbers. I entered on Zenni's site. About 1 hour later I get an email from them saying the prescription was "likely to be incorrect, could I please double check." Sure enough, I look at an older prescription and see the mistake. I corrected it over email. She responded with an affirmation of my change. All very professional and with good English. Pretty sure these communications were from China.

I now have the 4 pairs, total $60, and am beyond pleased.

Look, I want to buy local, but I also want flawless service.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I measured myself, on a mirror and with a ruler.

Even if not on the exact mm, I think you have plus or minus 1 or 2 mm.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Of the one's I kept my past lens orders all have the pd's on them. Problem is they are all different. So much for accuracy when being measured by the optician. One taken by COSTCO was with a pupilometer and is in the middle of the hand taken ones.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #34

PD is really important. It can be the difference between satisfaction with your glasses and annoyance with them. While most of the time they go with the distance between pupils, some use separate right and left measurements, starting at the center line of your nose. Makes a difference with some people, not with others.

I've had mine measured dozens of times through my life, and the range of variance has been stunning. Some opticians are simply better at it than others.

Now I generally like to use the little ruler that Zenni sends, but I like the way Costco includes their measurement on your invoice. No other optician has ever been willing to give the measurement to me, so I've always just insisted on looking at their input (paper or computer screen) "just to be sure the prescription is right."
Old 08-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I get my prescription from an ophthalmologist and buy the frames and lenses at Costco. They are progressives and correcting an astigmatism. They're perfect for me.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I get my prescription from an ophthalmologist and buy the frames and lenses at Costco. They are progressives and correcting an astigmatism. They're perfect for me.
I'm not a Costco member (as a retired single I don't buy enough to justify a membership). I recall hearing that some products can be purchased at Costco by non-members.

Does anyone know if glasses/optical services fall into the "able to be purchased by non-members" category?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Does anyone know if glasses/optical services fall into the "able to be purchased by non-members" category?

omni
Yes. Also the pharmacy.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Not my local ones.

They'll let you go in and get an eye exam but when you need to pay for glasses, you need to present your Costco card.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In my opinion, Zinni does a better job and is a bit cheaper based on what I bought over the years. Zinni's website is feature packed and easier to navigate.

Both places supply quality glasses for a great price.
I ordered from both Zenni and 39dollarglasses recently. It was my first time ordering glasses online. They each had specials going on (my sense is these are continuous).

I had to return the 39dollarglasses pair because the frame was too wide for me. The highly reflective lenses were very distracting around my peripheral vision. 39dollarglasses made it easy to get a replacement (a new, narrower frame). Those new glasses are now the ones I favor because of the good fit. I'm still trying to adjust the Zenni ones; the frame doesn't settle quite right on the bridge of my nose.

Each pair cost around $35, but with Zenni that included the anti-reflective coating. That's a big plus.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about Zenni emails, but I spoke to one of their opticians on the phone about my husband's Rx, and the voice I was hearing was pure New York (I should know, I'm from NJ). Of course, he might have moved to Beijing, you never know....

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
It is too bad that Zenni gave me better service than my local $500 per glasses shop. I was more satisfied working with someone in China than my own local shop.

My doc wrote a script, I asked for it and told them, "sorry, I'm going on-line because I want 4 pair." These are long distance readers computer monitor distance. I wanted a bunch of them to throw around.

Doc wrote the script right, but the incompetent office, which is associated with the opticians, transposed some numbers. I entered on Zenni's site. About 1 hour later I get an email from them saying the prescription was "likely to be incorrect, could I please double check." Sure enough, I look at an older prescription and see the mistake. I corrected it over email. She responded with an affirmation of my change. All very professional and with good English. Pretty sure these communications were from China.

I now have the 4 pairs, total $60, and am beyond pleased.

Look, I want to buy local, but I also want flawless service.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote