Join Early Retirement Today

Prevention is prevention - not screening
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Prevention is prevention - not screening

While we discuss the merits and risks of screening, we should not forget that screening is not prevention of disease - prevention is really prevention.

Two of my favorite websites that are really about prevention are:

fitnessrocks.org -- Dr. Monte Ladner, MD, presents free podcasts (he has done about 145 of them) where he either explains research results or interviews a researcher which tell the listeners how to prevent disease. His primary emphasis is on 4 things -- 1. No smoking 2. Lots of fruits and vegetables (avoiding processed "food") 3. Weight so BMI is 25 or less and 4. 30 minutes of strenous exercise a day. If you want an education on disease prevention with research to back it up, there is a wealth of information in his podcasts. Dr. Monte is not a vegetarian by the way. Dr. Monte no longer practices medicine and I think that his wife (a cardiologist) provides the family income.

drmcdougal.com -- Dr. John McDougall, MD, has written books and a monthly newsletter that explain that a low fat vegetarian diet is the key to disease prevention. He empasizes whole intact food (whole wheat, brown rice, etc) and staying away from processed food. Dr. McDougall makes his living by giving seminars that help people make the radical (for most people) change to a whole food low fat low sugar vegetarian diet).

Here is what Dr. Monte wrote on his website for notes on his latest podcast:

"In the August 10, 2009 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine there was yet another medical study verifying that living a healthy lifestyle is good for our health. A healthy lifestyle was defined in the paper by the four habits of not smoking, eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables, exercising every day, and maintaining a healthy body weight – what I have called “The Magic Formula.” People in the study who adhered to all four habits had an 80% overall reduction in the risk of developing a major chronic disease during 8 years of follow-up."

This is truly prevention!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
medical study verifying that living a healthy lifestyle is good for our health.

Wow! Who'd a thunk it. How much does it cost for that wisdom again? I missed it.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wow! Who'd a thunk it. How much does it cost for that wisdom again? I missed it.
97% of Americans also missed it.

Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics Among Adults in the United States, 2000
Archives of Internal Medicine

The overall prevalence of the healthy lifestyle indicator (ie, having all 4 HLCs) was only 3.0%.....
Arch Intern Med -- Abstract: Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics Among Adults in the United States, 2000, April 25, 2005, Reeves and Rafferty 165 (8): 854