Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
..................So, what was the TSA agent's medical interpretation of your scan?

Or was his comment simply about your anatomy?
Something about drinking too many beers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You are having the year from hell, Lisa. So sorry. I don't blame you for wondering if you can do whatever you can, proactively, to protect yourself.
Thanks Bestwife... it has certainly been the year from hell! I know many have it far worse than me, but some days I would to just love to stay in bed and pull the covers over my head.

Another reason to look forward to retiring; staying in bed all day if I want!

And thanks everyone for the debate. I know science doesn't back full body scans but I wanted to hear from you guys as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

Lisa -
I can relate to your fear. While I never considered a full body scan, I did take some steps to look at my personal cancer risks. This is because 3 of my 4 grandparents had cancer. My dad beat prostate cancer only to die of complications from the multiple myeloma treatment. My mom died of ovarian cancer. My brother beat melanoma, then was taken down in his 40's by neuroendocrine carcinoma (not the slow growing carcinoid - but the rare aggresive carcinoma.). I only have 3 cousins. 1 had tumors removed from her spine. Another beat prostate cancer at a young age (was about 40), only to have testicular cancer come along (currently being treated.) I am very paranoid about cancer.

For me - I did genetic testing. Originally (when my brother was first dx'd with his second type of cancer) I had the test for the BRCAA gene. This was before 23 and me testing. I was *VERY* relieved to learn I don't have that variant. Later I did the 23 and me testing. I know I'm at the same risk as everyone else for the "big" cancers.

I have Kaiser Permanente - and my doctor and I have a slightly more frequent schedule for the preventative stuff. Mammograms and paps every year. Every 5 years I get a new baseline MRI of my reproductive stuff (due to mom's ovarian cancer and it being hard to detect early.) Kaiser tends to be fairly frugal, but looks at risks and odds - they think it's worth the cost to be a bit more proactive than their "standard" schedule for this stuff with me. They didn't pay for genetic testing, however. That's fine. It was worth it for the peace of mind.

I get why you worry. But I wouldn't do the body scan.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rodi, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I had completely forgotten that I've had 23andme genetic testing.

I've gone back and looked at the results and my risk is the same as or lower than the general population for the big cancers.

Doesn't mean it won't happen, but I'm a bit more settled now.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #25

That's wonderful news, Lisa99.

Pay attention to your body, but don't add new problems by worrying/stressing about risks that might not be there.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't do it

I have a pretty unique perspective. 5yrs. ago I was diagnosed with stage four Head and Neck cancer during a routine doctors office visit. This cancer is notorious for spreading to the lungs. I underwent chemo, radiation and surgery. My very first post treatment CT scan revealed 4 lung nodules and a thyroid nodule. I cannot begin to describe the terror that set in after the first CT scan. Now you have to wait for the next scan and compare the result to the first scan. (six months) No change. Now you wait for the third scan and compare to previous scans. (six months) No change. Now you wait for the fourth scan (six months) and compare and so on and so on. Turns out all of those nodules were there prior to my cancer and are unrelated. I know that now but spent way too many sleepless nights worrying about the "suspicious nodules" and countless hours on the internet doing nodule research. We all have some abnormalities and a CT scan will find every last meaningless one of them.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

While there is always a small chance a "preventive" scan will find something significant, there is a much larger chance that it will find something harmless that will need to be worked up at great expense only to find that you have wasted your (or your insurer/government's) money.