Preview of 2018 ACA plans is LIVE

IL.

There is a plan that is HSA eligible, but higher premium. I'll end up going with the eligible one.

BCBSTX went to only one HSA eligible plan with a big jump in premium - bronze of course. They did a very interesting thing - they cut the deductible in half. It's a much lower deductible than they've ever offered on a bronze plan. IMO this allowed them to raise the premium at least $100 a month to "make up the difference", so even the healthier folks who don't need the much lower deductible end up paying this extra if they want to contribute to an HSA.

They are switching us to this new plan and premiums have jumped 28% for me and 25% for DH. I don't think the HSA contributions tax savings make up the difference for us anymore but DH and I still really want to contribute to our HSAs.

There is one other cheaper plan that is not HSA compatible and has over twice the deductible, higher OOP and no out of network coverage at all. It's quite a bit cheaper. I'll come back later and post the price differences.

BCBSTX went to only one HSA eligible plan with a big jump in premium - bronze of course. They did a very interesting thing - they cut the deductible in half. It's a much lower deductible than they've ever offered on a bronze plan. IMO this allowed them to raise the premium at least $100 a month to "make up the difference", so even the healthier folks who don't need the much lower deductible end up paying this extra if they want to contribute to an HSA.

They are switching us to this new plan and premiums have jumped 28% for me and 25% for DH. I don't think the HSA contributions tax savings make up the difference for us anymore but DH and I still really want to contribute to our HSAs.

There is one other cheaper plan that is not HSA compatible and has over twice the deductible, higher OOP and no out of network coverage at all. It's quite a bit cheaper. I'll come back later and post the price differences.

The one HSA eligible plan for you sounds very similar to the situation for me. Instead of having a plan with a higher deductible, then 100% coverage after deductible met, now a lower deductible but copays and co-insurance plus higher premium (for me about $100 more a month).

I need the HSA though as I use those funds for my dental and vision and want to keep that way.

This is what they did for my area of Virginia too. Only 1 HSA plan available, lowered the deductible but it's not half. The deductible went from $6,000 to $4900. (Bronze)
Yes they figured out that for those of us who don't use our Health Insurance plan much at all (only when we have to), it was better for them to get the hike in monthly premiums. At least that is the way I read it.

The one HSA eligible plan for you sounds very similar to the situation for me. Instead of having a plan with a higher deductible, then 100% coverage after deductible met, now a lower deductible but copays and co-insurance plus higher premium (for me about $100 more a month).

I need the HSA though as I use those funds for my dental and vision and want to keep that way.
$1200 is a pretty high cost for the HSA. Do the numbers really work out? You can pay for dental and vision out of any account. An extra $300/yr for an HSA works for me, but not much more. I'm single and in a low tax bracket so my breakeven may be a lot lower than yours.

$1200 is a pretty high cost for the HSA. Do the numbers really work out? You can pay for dental and vision out of any account. An extra $300/yr for an HSA works for me, but not much more. I'm single and in a low tax bracket so my breakeven may be a lot lower than yours.

I really haven't had time (well, actually dawdling with fun stuff instead of the ACA) to work any numbers through. I like paying for dental and vision out of HSA with the tax benefit, plus growth with tax benefits of the HSA. Oh yeah, also the HSA tax deduction too.

Same with BCBS of IL. Out of pocket remains over $6500 but deductible is just under $3000. Premium went up about another $300 per month compared to 2017 but tax credit rose even more, so net reduction in premium. Seems odd, but I'll take it.

Same with BCBS of IL. Out of pocket remains over $6500 but deductible is just under $3000. Premium went up about another $300 per month compared to 2017 but tax credit rose even more, so net reduction in premium. Seems odd, but I'll take it.

Those of you getting the tax credit really make out then with this arrangement!

Yes, this year is out of the ordinary. Other years the full price vs subsidy was not so much in our favor.

Since ACA started in 2014 our options in plans have decreased. A couple of insurers disappeared and some networks have become very narrow. Our income has stayed very steady, just under 250% of FPL, yet every year the subsidy jumps all around. It's very unpredictable.

Not complaining at all, just commenting on how wacky all this is.

For the heck of it I played with the ACA marketplace Plans and Prices page. I am shocked to see the amount of the subsidy they say I qualify for if my income stays under 80K for my household of 3.

There is only one provider: BCBS of Texas. All 6 plans are HMO's and I know my doctors do not accept HMO's, so that would be a big issue. But aside from the plans not being a good fit for me because of our doctors, financially the subsidies would help me in 2018 MUCH more than the same calculator has shown in previous years even with the same basic variables plugged in. In fact both bronze plans would have premiums of $0 and the most expensive plan, a silver plan, would have a premium of $629/mo. That is a LOT cheaper than the cheapest megacorp retiree HDHP premium of $1178/mo.

2018_aca_subsidy_79k.jpg

It's pretty clearly the result of the administration's decision to stop reimbursing insurers for silver plan CSRs. Silver plan premiums went up as a result, so the premium tax credits went up as well.

It's pretty clearly the result of the administration's decision to stop reimbursing insurers for silver plan CSRs. Silver plan premiums went up as a result, so the premium tax credits went up as well.

That's still got me shaking my head.

That's still got me shaking my head.

Could be what we call a deficit. With tax cuts you at least take a chance there is additional revenue that can be generated. That being said just came off cobra this month. Went from $530 to $679 for two month then $850 starting January.

I hate Obamacare. Might be time for single payer program

Ready. Fire. Aim. :D

That's what happens when you make big policy changes without sufficient study and deliberation and sprinkle in some group-think as well.

Yep, that's pretty much been the whole story so far and not just with the ACA. And it's not just the executive branch either.

Help me choose a plan. This is for my friend who recently lost her husband.

California
No income; Living off Life insurance Proceeds
Plan to start IRA money to a Roth Ladder @ $19500 a year
Single
Age 49

(I personally get health insurance through my husband's pre retirement employer so I have no knowledge of this system)

Last edited:
Start off with healthsherpa.com
Much more useful than Heslthcare.gov for evaluating options and estimating costs. Even easier than my provider's site. Already done for this year, bookmarking that for next year. Thanks

Thought you might be interested in the background. Basically, back at its initial rollout when healthcare.gov was a non-functioning embarassing mess, three tech gurus that were frustrated trying to find information on healthcare.gov got together and built a better mousetrap.... in one long weekend! Shortly thereafter, the powers that be at healthcare.gov decided to build in functionality that allowed one to look at available plans without running the registration and income verification gauntlet.

How hard is it to create a website to help people get health insurance under the Affordable Care Act?

For three 20-year-old programmers in San Francisco, it took about three days' worth of work.

Spurred by the problems that have surrounded the rollout of the official HeathCare.gov site, the trio created an alternative, Health Sherpa, quickly and cheaply. At first glance, it looks like a triumph of tech-startup nimbleness over government inefficiency.

Trio of young coders build health-care website in days - CNN

Back
Top Bottom