Prevnar 13

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Had a visit with my VA doctor recently and received a Prevanr 13 vaccination. VA looks after us very well.

I had no idea about this vaccine though the nurse said that the CDC has been running multiple ads about it. Proves I never pay attention to ads on TV. I have had the pneumonia shot, but this adds 13 more stains to the 23 that the older one protects against.

I was told that one must be at least age 50 to receive it and normal cost is $250.Has anyone else received it yet?

Prevnar 13 vaccine is used to prevent infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. Prevnar 13 contains 13 different types of pneumococcal bacteria.
Pneumococcal disease is a serious infection caused by a bacteria. Pneumococcal bacteria can infect the sinuses and inner ear. It can also infect the lungs, blood, and brain, and these conditions can be fatal.
Prevnar 13 works by exposing you to a small amount of the bacteria or a protein from the bacteria, which causes the body to develop immunity to the disease. Prevnar 13 will not treat an active infection that has already developed in the body.
Prevnar 13 is for use in children from 6 weeks to 5 years old, and in adults who are 50 and older.
Prevnar 13 Vaccine for Pneumococcal Bacteria - Drugs.com

I have had a old pneumonia vaccine. The VA told me I needed to be 60. Are you younger than 60?

If so, I might go get one... I am 56.

I have had a old pneumonia vaccine. The VA told me I needed to be 60. Are you younger than 60?

fromOP's link (and others): "Prevnar 13 is for use in children from 6 weeks to 5 years old, and in adults who are 50 and older."

I had the older vaccine. Made my arm hurt for days afterwards.

I got it last September, also at the VA. Also hadn't heard of it until they offered it. I went in for my annual flu shot and they told me about this new pneumonia shot and it sounded like a good idea. No side effects for me.

I stand corrected Senator. Age 60 was the age I now recall as correct for the VA. It will later drop to 50 after the older folks @ VA are taken care of. I am 71.

MY PCP is the US military. VA is a back up/duplicate. I wonder why they have not offered it to me? I'll inquire on my next visit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom