Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's wrong with carry 2-3 pairs of glasses? That's how many my husband has. Computer glasses, reading glasses.

Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
What's wrong with carry 2-3 pairs of glasses? That's how many my husband has. Computer glasses, reading glasses.
It might be easy for anyone carrying a purse, but with nothing but pockets, and few of them in summer, carrying a phone and 2-4 pairs of glasses (two strengths in sunglasses and indoor) is a minor pain to me. I assumed progressives would be better, and hopefully they will given a little time. If not, I'll be carrying a pair of +0.75's for distance and +2.25 for reading.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #43

I first got progressives about 15 years ago at 42. Adjusted in a couple days with no problem and have had them ever since.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #44

I had no problems and have had maybe fifteen years.

Could be there's a bigger problem if your primary issue is reading/farsightedness than nearsightedness like me. Been wearing lenses since fourteen and progressive was no big deal since all that happened was less lense strength in lower reading area.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #45

I've been wearing progressives for years with no problems. But like others here have experienced, DW could never adjust to them. She's recently started wearing bifocal contact lens and loves them.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #46

I once had a problem with my progressive lenses. I felt like I had to tilt my head down to use the distance part of the lens. The optician made an adjustment to my glasses and solved the problem.

Midpack, if you are having problems when you look left or right (if I read correctly), the lenses may not be correct. Talk to the eye doctor.

- Rita
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Had similar experience myself. I LOVE my progressive glasses - for whatever reason they were super easy to get used to almost immediately (and I had read a bunch of literature and was willing to go through weeks of transition). I got the same progressive prescription applied to some sunglasses - so they work for both driving and reading outside. But DW tried them and they didn't work for her at all - dizzy/nauseous whenever she wore them. She tried for about 3 weeks and gave up.

So definitely YMMV.

The only downside (other than the fact they are glasses I have to wear all the time - yuck) as others have mentioned is going down stairs. Not a huge deal, but you do have to look down at the stairs as you descend. But not having to swap reading glasses for distance, etc. is totally worth it!
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

This thread may be dead, but I thought I'd try one more question.

My (Ray-Ban) progressive sunglasses seem to substantially compress depth perception. I haven't had that sensation with the clear progressives. Anyone else have that expereince?

Old 04-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

My glasses are only adjusted for astigmatism - don't know if that matters. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I need to move my head side to side slightly to read a sentence across a page, wasn't expecting that.

...I don't have to. Did in the beginning looking straight ahead at the book. Then I realized if I looked at the page through a point a bit below the centre I can read the whole sentence. So I tilt my head a little back. And look down on the page. But not too much back.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This thread may be dead, but I thought I'd try one more question.

My (Ray-Ban) progressive sunglasses seem to substantially compress depth perception. I haven't had that sensation with the clear progressives. Anyone else have that expereince?
I have transition lenses. There is no difference between clear and fully tinted. The problem is the few minutes it takes to go clear when going into a lower light location.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've worn progressives for 20 years. I started with the Verilux and it took me about 4-5 weeks to adjust. You can't go back and forth with single vision lenses or your eyes won't adjust to them. Once I got adjusted I couldn't be without them. I was fortunate to had a good optician because the PD and centers needs to be absolutely correct. I have tried other lesser expensive lenses but they never could get right so I got my money back. In recent years I'm have a harder time adjusting to new lenses. I don't know if it's because I have more astigmatism or if the younger optician just aren't well experience.
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like the verilux brand. Local stores push their digital alternative and I have had the experience of having one store misrepresent that they were giving me verilux lens when they instead gave me digital lens. I had new glasses made last week with verilux lens and huge difference especially with the sun glasses. Very frustrating that u can't tell from the lens, no marking, as to what type of lens is being sold. Buyer beware!
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I really like the verilux brand. Local stores push their digital alternative and I have had the experience of having one store misrepresent that they were giving me verilux lens when they instead gave me digital lens. I had new glasses made last week with verilux lens and huge difference especially with the sun glasses. Very frustrating that u can't tell from the lens, no marking, as to what type of lens is being sold. Buyer beware!
Not sure if it's comparable, but my lenses are Trivex? Supposed to be the next to the best lens ForEyes offers.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've had them for years. I have a pair of single lens sunglasses I use when driving and playing golf. Never adjusted very well to progressive when trying to hit a golf ball.
Same here. I have a pair for about 3 months now and have adjusted. As you have said....no good for golf.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I've worn progressives for 20 years. I started with the Verilux and it took me about 4-5 weeks to adjust. You can't go back and forth with single vision lenses or your eyes won't adjust to them. Once I got adjusted I couldn't be without them. I was fortunate to had a good optician because the PD and centers needs to be absolutely correct. I have tried other lesser expensive lenses but they never could get right so I got my money back. In recent years I'm have a harder time adjusting to new lenses. I don't know if it's because I have more astigmatism or if the younger optician just aren't well experience.
I started progressives with Verilux. Never had a problem. The ones I just got are a problem for reading small print. I'm back to the older pair. I'll have to ask at Costco what type of lens the new ones are.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 AM   #56

I'm late to this party but here is my experience with Progressive lenses.

I actually don't need glasses at all for the computer or reading, but I got tired of misplacing my distance glasses and having to take them on and off at places which required some longer distance and some reading distance times (like Mass). I've also always had transition lenses. So I now wear glasses full time just out of pure convenience. I have found that the "mid distance" view (computer distance) doesn't work well enough on the progressives so I do take my glasses off when at the computer.

I tried to return my first pair of progressives 3 times during the trial period. I HATED them. I'm glad the optometrist wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I love them now, but it did take me about 6 weeks to really feel comfortable.

Last year I got my first pair of prescription sunglasses (ie: not transitions, but full time sunglasses). I wanted more a wrap around to use for fishing. I don't find any difference in compression of distance that you are experiencing. I would go back and discuss what you are seeing with the optometrist.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I graduated to progressive bifocals at 50, after 40 years of glasses and contact lenses. The only issue I've had is that the smaller lenses that were in fashion when I got the bifocals, didn't have enough room at the bottom for the small-print RX. Mr. A. had the same problem. Larger frames solved this, although with the unfortunate side effect of being heavier (yes, even the expensive "lightweight" frames get heavy on the nose).

I also have bifocal contact lenses, but they have gotten less effective over time. Dr. says this is age-related (isn't everything?)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

It has gotten a little easier over the past 3 days, but I have to aim my head side to side and up and down to find the best focus, and peripheral vision is severely limited - that's the big unexpected surprise for me. Having fuzzy images in my periphery all the time isn't desirable to me. I'll keep at it, but this has not been what I expected at all.

I've had cheapo clear and sunglass bifocals before and adapted to them instantly. I expected progressives to be the same as bifocals with the split line smoothed. They aren't that at all. Peripheral vision with bifocals is vastly superior to both pairs of progressives I got.

I don't care about the fashion aspect of having lines in my glasses. I sure wish I'd asked more questions about $526 ago...