Join Early Retirement Today

Prostate Cancer and index finger length
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Administrator

Prostate Cancer and index finger length

Probably not a replacement for other types of testing, but it is easy to check and only needs to be done once.

Prostate Cancer Risk Is Lower in Men With Long Index Fingers, Study Finds - Bloomberg
Quote:
Men with long index fingers are at lower risk of prostate cancer, a study found. Scientists in the U.K. who compared the hands of 1,500 prostate cancer patients and 3,000 healthy men found that those whose index was longer than their ring finger were 33 percent less likely to develop the potentially fatal disease.
“Relative finger length could be used as a simple test for prostate cancer risk,” said Ros Eeles, one of the study’s lead authors and a researcher who investigates links between genetic makeup and tumors at London’s Institute of Cancer Research, in a statement. The study was published in the British Journal of Cancer today.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whew! ......I was worried that this post might have something to do with "self examinations"!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

No wonder all those grampas always want their fingers pulled.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Whew! ......I was worried that this post might have something to do with "self examinations"!
"You'll only do it once"!

Again with the finger length or ratio having some sexual indications. Wonder if prostate cancer is reduced in either men with reduced testosterone or of a gay predeliction? (hmm - or testosterone levels between the catchers and the pitchers in male gay couples)

Digit ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Turns out that you can tell men from women by the index-to-ring finger test (women have index > ring and men have the opposite) fairly reliably. For the record, there are many more enjoyable ways of making the distinction but just in case you're in a pinch (so to speak) this serves well.

Once upon a time it was thought that ear lobe creases were a coronary risk (not born out). These type of anthropometric theories rarely survive more serious prospective scrutiny.

In my case, the right 2nd and 4th fingers are equal, and on the left, the 4th (ring) finger is longer. I will work on pulling my right 4th finger as often as I can.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I was even more worried that it'd have something to do with choosing a doctor for a prostate exam.

As Rich_in_Tampa would say, "Two thumbs up!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was even more worried that it'd have something to do with choosing a doctor for a prostate exam.

As Rich_in_Tampa would say, "Two thumbs up!"
Nords, we're doing this online these days. Got a USB port?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Nords, we're doing this online these days. Got a USB port?

martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got a USB port?
Of course, everybody's got one.

You docs always come up with fancy names for body parts, don't you.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... there are many more enjoyable ways of making the distinction...
This reminded me of a couple of scenes in "Crocodile Dundee", but I was not able to find the clip on youtube.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #11

I always thought the relation between finger lengths extended to other body parts. No?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Administrator

Didn’t take long for this thread to get off track. Not one serious response.

No, no finger pulling, self examinations, pitchers and catchers, USB ports (I did like that one) or hints about other body parts. Rich, I already can tell the difference between men and women, but I do appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind during my next trip to Brazil or anytime I find myself in a pinch.

So, are we to conclude that gay men suffer lower rates of prostate cancer, or men with lower risk are in denial about their sexuality? Hmmm - the lack of responses from the men on this forum about their index-to-ring finger ratio makes me wonder.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Turns out that you can tell men from women by the index-to-ring finger test (women have index > ring and men have the opposite) fairly reliably. For the record, there are many more enjoyable ways of making the distinction but just in case you're in a pinch (so to speak) this serves well.
That could come in handy if I'm ever in Bangkok, thx
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Reminds me of the excellent movie, The Crying Game (it is not a comedy!)

A friend from college was visiting us at DW's parent's house one time and DW's little sister (10 yr old I think) says to him "Do you know how to tell I'm a girl?". Our friend was horrified and stammered, but she rescued him by saying, "look, ear rings".

My index finger is fractionally shorter, but I can stretch it so that it appears equal length. Guess that doesn't get me out of the annual DRE.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

My index finger is fractionally shorter, but I can stretch it so that it appears equal length. Guess that doesn't get me out of the annual DRE.
My index appears shorter than my ring finger, but....

looking at the wiki site on this, it says you measure from the crease where the finger meets the hand. By that measure my index finger is only slightly shorter.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My index appears shorter than my ring finger, but....

looking at the wiki site on this, it says you measure from the crease where the finger meets the hand. By that measure my index finger is only slightly shorter.

-ERD50
That is more scientific, and it puts my index about 1mm longer than my ring finger.

I still don't think I'll skip the annual probing. As the old joke goes, it is worth asking the Doc for a note after the exam that I can show DW that, in fact, my head is not up my a$$ after all.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Well by that definition all men are susceptible to prostate cancer via the index to ring finger test.

who would have thought
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

So women aren't subject to prostate cancer? That's hardly fair - here's a poor chap that died from uterine cancer..... probably his finger length ratio didn't apply.

Queens man Vincent Liew dies of uterine cancer after kidney transplant from NYU Medical Center
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Guess there could be more than one reason to have a little kid pull your finger, huh?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think I'll have my ring fingers cut off. It would cut the risk for two potential problems.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote