Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FR....I don't know exactly what this little guy is.... ....but he shows how I feel.

Here are more flowers from TX for a speedy recovery...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful results

BTW, I had "the talk" with dh2b the other night as a result of your posts.
I got the usual nonsense, I have no problems, I'm too young, blah blah blah.

However, when I read the treatment part to him, he promised he would get a test done on his next physical. We shall see...

I'm going to tip off his (my) doctor ahead of time about his reluctant attitude. And yes, there is a waiver for medical info release with my name on it, so I can discuss this with the doc.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Like others have said... great news on the health front... and a good post for others to read and take care of business...
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
BTW, I had "the talk" with dh2b the other night as a result of your posts.
I got the usual nonsense, I have no problems, I'm too young, blah blah blah.

However, when I read the treatment part to him, he promised he would get a test done on his next physical. We shall see...
You know, to be honest, the worst part of this whole thing for me was getting mentally ready for the biopsy. The biopsy scared me to death, even though as it turned out it was no big deal. I think my fear was the same fear one experiences when getting onto a roller coaster. Once the roller coaster starts, you know there's no turning back, you're committed, and the top of the hill will start a wild ride.

I shied away from a biopsy for a year or more, and I think it was fear that, if it turned up positive, I'd have no choice but to seek treatment. And that's indeed what happened. In fact, I almost waited too long for the biopsy. But, once the biopsy came back positive, my mindset changed completely, now all I wanted to do was to get the cancer out, and I had little if any fear of the surgery or possible after-effects.

So, for a high PSA ("high"itself subject to professional interpretation), the key is a biopsy. Even a positive biopsy result doesn't mean that anything needs to be done, some of these biopsies show very low grade prostate cancer for which one can watchfully wait. In my case my biopsy came back pretty bad and, frankly, I thought I didn't have much of a chance when I saw the results. But in the hands of a skilled surgeon, almost anything is possible.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
FR....I don't know exactly what this little guy is.... ....but he shows how I feel.
Thanks Right now, though, the little guy feels more like this.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Thanks Right now, though, the little guy feels more like this.
Right now...maybe so. But it's difficult to keep a good soldier down.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like great results from the surgery and things will continue to improve. So glad for you and your family.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #28

Congrats FR. Glad to know that the plumbing works. It all "Depends" on a really good surgeon, and these new advanced techniques, as we have found in my dad's case.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Congrats FR. Glad to know that the plumbing works. It all "Depends" on a really good surgeon, and these new advanced techniques, as we have found in my dad's case.
Well, I have a bunch of unused Depends to give away if anyone needs them

I just talked to my doc's office and told them I was completely continent and they couldn't believe it, they've never had anyone completely dry right from the get go.

They asked me a bunch of questions to make sure I didn't have a blockage but I think they're convinced that I can go or not go whenever I want. They said I was their poster child for good results from this surgery. I think the key is not only a good surgeon, but I was in terrific shape before the surgery. I did kegel exercises religiously many times a day, played golf 3 times a week, worked out at the gym another 3 times a week, sailed, walked, did whatever I could to stay physically fit. And putting yourself in a good mental and spiritual state helps tremendously as well, the guy above can do anything.

I told them I'd be glad to serve as a reference for other patients, but they said they don't want to use me because other patients may expect similar results.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #30

Got my hospital bill today. A little over $15,000 for one day and one overnight at the hospital. That's just the hospital, I haven't gotten the surgeon's bill yet, I assume that will be another $10k or so. My cost share after insurance is just $250, glad I have insurance. The room itself was $1200 for one night, double occupancy. Frankly, I've had better rooms at Days Inns, didn't even have a window or a free newspaper.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #31

Sure is a good motivator for keeping up with health insurance payments.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #32

Quote:

P.S. Almost forgot. Incontinence is a big issue with prostate surgery, at least for a few months. So far looks like I'm completely continent. As I said, this surgeon is awesome. The other issue is impotence, but the doc is hopeful there too, and I should know in 2-3 months. Even there, he says there's things they can do to fix the little guy. Maybe TMI.
No, not TMI. I appreciate you posting about it. DH has had his PSA test and the number was fine, but it's nice to hear about real world results and consequences.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
No, not TMI. I appreciate you posting about it. DH has had his PSA test and the number was fine, but it's nice to hear about real world results and consequences.
Well, again if it's not TMI, I'm beginning to slowly recover that way as well.

OTOH, I hope to get back to golf next week, so it may be irrelevant.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #34

Been away for a while, mainly playing golf. My first post-surgery PSA just came in at 0! Doc says I need to redo it every 3 months for a while, but this was a biggie. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.

Surgery took 5 strokes off my golf game, though.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

That is great news.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

That's a big deal. Great to hear.

It took 5 strokes off your game?!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

That is great news!

Uh oh....here I go. I'm gonna scuff up the screen and do a little dance....
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Been away for a while, mainly playing golf. My first post-surgery PSA just came in at 0! Doc says I need to redo it every 3 months for a while, but this was a biggie. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.

Surgery took 5 strokes off my golf game, though.
Damn, I'm going to ask my doc about getting this done whether I need it or not. Glad things are going well for you.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
It took 5 strokes off your game?!
I meant, it added five strokes to my games .... both of them
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I think your surgery added five strokes to my game too....