Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
[/I][/B]

Nobody can tell if you still have the gland or not if removed or otherwise treated, so there is not as much of a personal identity issue involved. The numbers aren't as bad as breast cancer, either.
Well my wife might be able to tell I have had it removed if I become impotent or incontinent or both.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Well my wife might be able to tell I have had it removed if I become impotent or incontinent or both.
Sure, I don't mean to be flippant about the possible consequences,; by saying "nobody" I meant people who don't know you.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #23

Best wishes for a good outcome on the antibiotics. If needed (Here) is a good site for info on prostate cancer.

One piece of info my urologist imparted was that after factoring in the grade and stage information, the cancer can be fought several ways and he would give advice/guidance but expected the patient to make the choice. So being highly informed will make you a much better manager of your fight.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
As a result of my visit with my doctor yesterday a DRE was performed and according to him Prostate Nodule was detected. He told me to make an appointment to see a urologist. I have googled this topic and pretty much concluded that biopsy is the next step?

For those that have gone through it, what should I be looking out for? Should you go back to your doc and see if he can still feel a nodule? Should you go back to your doc to see if he can still feel a nodule?

Thanks,

MP
So is the nodule gone or was it never there or did the urologist not find the one your doctor found?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Good question. I have no idea who was right, however, I believe the urologist has done a lot more DREs than my gastroenterologist. I am sticking with my urologist for now. My next PSA test is about two months from now. So far my highest reading was 3.1.
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Good question. I have no idea who was right, however, I believe the urologist has done a lot more DREs than my gastroenterologist. I am sticking with my urologist for now. My next PSA test is about two months from now. So far my highest reading was 3.1.
Worth going back and seeing if the first guy can find the nodule again? I agree the urologist is the guy to trust but I'd be tempted to go back to the first guy and say "find it again." His initial "find" has caused lots of activity and angst.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an appointment to see him this coming Wed regarding my gallstones, will bring this up and see if he wants to do another DRE?

I did think about a third opinion but will wait to see what my next PSA test (in six weeks) will show.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The DRE is very subjective. It's common to have experienced docs disagree on the presence of a small nodule. Also, not all nodules are cancer, and not all cancers present as nodules. PSA's can fluctuate, with infection, inflammation, recent ejaculation, even bike riding, so hopefully the next PSA will be lower. The PSA "normal" range is <4.0, however that must be interpreted in the context of previous PSA's and age. For someone 50 y/o, a PSA > 2.5 is high. A PSA of 3.5 might be ok in a 70 y/o, unless in was 1.0 the year before.

Hopefully, you will never be diagnosed with prostate cancer, but for those with early-stage (PSA<10, Gleason 6 or even 7) treatment may not even be needed. For those who want or need treatment, there are so many good options, surgically and with several forms of radiation therapy, that picking treatment is like picking your poison. Each option has pros and cons, and treatment should be highly individualized.

I would warn all about radiation centers that are privately owned by physicians, either the urologist or radiation oncologist. This is increasingly common throughout the country because of the profits one can make with a particular form of radiation called IMRT. There is inherent conflict of interest at those centers. Medicare will reimburse $35,000-$45,000 to a doc that prescribes a radiation called IMRT if that doc owns the machine. To do a prostatectomy, a urologist might only get $1200. To do a seed implant, a radiation oncologist gets reimbursed about $1200. Which treatment do you think a doctor who does not have your best interest in mind will recommend? Just one of the problems with US healthcare.
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I have another appointment coming up on May 14th, just a follow up (I hope).

mP
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from my visit with my urologist, he wants to do a biopsy because my test result has elevated to 3.35 from 3.31.

The latest test was done on 05/03/12 = 3.35 - test performed using VITROS immunodiagnostics immunometric method.
Previous test performed on 03/10/12 = 3.1 - test performed using Siemens chemiluminescent method.

Not sure if there is a huge difference in the two methods? There is a note from the Siemens method "Values obtained from different assay methods can not be used inerchangeably".

Opinion anyone? I thought 3.35 is normal for 58 years old.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #31

Lightspeed seems to knowledgeable about PSA tests, do you have any family history, have you had a PSA done earlier than March?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #32

That difference is not significant. I think there may be some other reason he wants to do a biopsy. Mine averages around 4, and has been anywhere from 3.6 to 4.5 for the last ten years. I've had three biopsies, all negative, during that time, and my urologist is quite content with this level of stability.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
Lightspeed seems to knowledgeable about PSA tests, do you have any family history, have you had a PSA done earlier than March?
PSA history

2003 = 1.5
2005 = 1.3
2008 = 1.8
2010 = 2.3
2012 March = 3.1
2012 May = 3.35

My urologist said he does not like the trend. I read somewhere that the new cutoff point is now 2.5 instead of 4. Had it not been for my other doctor who supposedly detected nodule on my prostate I would not have gone to my urologist as I always thought that anything below 4 was OK.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even tho I've been through (and am still going thru) the issues of my DH's prostate cancer (diagnosed in 12/10) I will not attempt to tell you what you should do. I am not a doctor, I only have experience with my DH's situation.

What I would like for you to think of is; do you feel comfortable/have faith with your urologist. How much would you worry if you didn't have the biopsy?

FWIW, DH had a biopsy and felt very little discomfort and had no problems after the procedure. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with PCa. His PSA had risen slightly over the years to a 4 (age 56). He had no other symptoms whatsoever.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I would agree with the urologist- the upward trend is worrisome, and 3.35 is high for your age. The different assays, or even day to day variation can account for that small difference, but in either case your psa is high. Braumeister's PSA is less worrisome because it has been within the same small range for a long period of time. The good news is, if you do have prostate cancer, it will likely be very curable at such an early stage. If you were 80 with that PSA, or even 70 with a lot of medical problems, you could live a with the cancer without treatment and you might die of something else. But you are 58, and assuming your health is reasonable (life expectancy of 10 years or more) the best time to treat it is now. If you wait 5 years and your psa creeps up to 7 or 8 due to a slow growing cancer, it would still be curable but less curable than if you got treatment now. Let us know how the biopsy turns out (or feel free to PM me for questions you don't want to ask publicly).
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #36

I have been dealing with the rising PSA for about 5 - 7 years. Age 62 now, at age 50 PSA was always around 1. Last few years, consistently around 6 -7. I had a biopsy and it was negative. Lots of controversy around the PSA, as we all know. However, the free PSA (fPSA) is somewhat more predictable and should be taken along with PSA. The higher (above 25 is best) the better. Google 'free PSA' BTW, with local anesthesia, (and anti-biotics before and during), my biopsy wasn't so bad. More emotionally fearful than the procedure, but if you are questioning what you have or don't have, I wouldn't hesitate with the biopsy to know for sure. Then, take your time deciding what you might do next. Best luck !
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Richard4444 has a good point about the "free paa." Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate that almost all men get to some extent as they age, causes a rise in "free psa" as a proprtion of total psa. Cancer cells release psa that is bound to an extra protein, or non-free psa, so the proportion of free psa is useful sometimes in differentiating BPH vs cancer as a cause of elevated psa. In many cases however, the free PSA is in the mid range, and biopsy is carried out anyway.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys, although appoinment was made for next Thrusday for the procedure I am still debating. I was surprised that my doctor did not suggest additional tests or other alternatives. I think he feels that biopsy is a better tool than the alternatives and it is better to just get it done and over with.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #39

Also, as it has not been noted in this thread yet, for the most accurate PSA, do not ejaculate for 72 hours prior as it would increase the PSA # and avoid heavy bicycle riding at least one day prior to PSA testing. Good luck with the biopsy should you do it.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally had my biopsy done August 3rd. The results are positive with low grade, low volume cancer in 3 out of 14 samples. I have been frequenting the Healingwell board and Healthboards.