Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had four prostate biopsies over the last 20 years. All negative, but each time I agreed it would be a prudent thing to do, based on how my PSA readings were trending each time. Mine is quite large, which I believe is the cause of my normally high PSA reading. I've done various courses of drugs (Flomax, Avodart, etc.). Drugs were only moderately effective so I stopped them and had a TUNA procedure which was quite effective. Symptoms have been under control since then, about eight years now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Mine is quite large, which I believe is the cause of my normally high PSA reading.
This is exactly why even the Doctor who invented the PSA test no longer recommends using it for general screening. All it really tells you is, you have a prostate. Unless they can differentiate cancer produced PSA from normal PSA they were doing too many needless biopsies some of which as Marko stated did more harm than good.

Even if Marko's had revealed, yep, ya got cancer, he almost croaked in 48 hours from the biopsy but doing nothing could have given him a pain free 10-20 years. I say, at least do a 2nd and 3rd PSA before taking a leap. If the doctor says he "knows" anything, he's lying or has a medically unwarranted confidence in himself.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #23

Interesting stories. What is missing from the original post is the reason for the procedure. Is it BPH diagnosis?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Interesting stories. What is missing from the original post is the reason for the procedure. Is it BPH diagnosis?
Yes. It's a new way to shrink the prostate
Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Yes. It's a new way to shrink the prostate
After treatment, does the prostate still function normally? After all, the prostate is not just some kind of out of the way toy, it has a sexual job to do.

Ha
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
After treatment, does the prostate still function normally? After all, the prostate is not just some kind of out of the way toy, it has a sexual job to do.

Ha
Based on my reading of the relatively sparse data on it, the excitement over this procedure is that it fixes the problem of enlargement while having very little in the way of side-effects, either sexual function or urinary related. Unlike the surgical options which lead to more complications. More "bad with the good" type of outcomes.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Based on my reading of the relatively sparse data on it, the excitement over this procedure is that it fixes the problem of enlargement while having very little in the way of side-effects, either sexual function or urinary related. Unlike the surgical options which lead to more complications. More "bad with the good" type of outcomes.
Thank you. This sounds like a real advance.

Ha
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I finally required an operation and had the Green Light Laser treatment. My only regret is I did not have it earlier. I have stopped all medication. And, urinals are my friend but not my best friend. I am almost 10 years old again.

I am sharing since all I could find on line when researching prostate procedures were the people who had a negative experience. My recovery was about 5 weeks to stop all bleeding. I was a good boy for the first 3 weeks and followed all the take it easy recommendations which I expect helped. I have since taken a few bike rides and am back to running, b-ball, etc.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I finally required an operation and had the Green Light Laser treatment. My only regret is I did not have it earlier. I have stopped all medication. And, urinals are my friend but not my best friend. I am almost 10 years old again.

I am sharing since all I could find on line when researching prostate procedures were the people who had a negative experience. My recovery was about 5 weeks to stop all bleeding. I was a good boy for the first 3 weeks and followed all the take it easy recommendations which I expect helped. I have since taken a few bike rides and am back to running, b-ball, etc.
Sounds like great news! What were your symptoms that lead you to this? If you prefer not to say publicly, would you please PM me? I've been having some issues and want to see if symptoms match.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

That's wonderful! Full disclosure - I work for the company that makes GreenLight, so it warms my heart that our products are helping people. If you have any problems, definitely tell your doctor.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Sounds great; very happy for your results.
I fully expect to be a candidate myself one of these days, so I'm always interested in this topic.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with BPH. My PSA was and is in the OK range. But, urine flow was very slow and holding it was sometimes impossible.

I was placed on Tamulosin 4mg per day (one pill). That made a big difference, taking me back to a more normal life. That lasted perhaps 5 years when my dosage was doubled. That again improved my ability to pee and to hold. Not back to pre-BPH days but perhaps back to the one pill days.

Then a few months ago, the ability to hold and pee got worse again. I was already on the max of the Tamulosin. So, the next step in the 'pre-operative' approach is Finisteride. This medication is designed to shrink the prostate but it takes six months to do its job.

At the time the problem was bad but manageable. THEN, while following up on my annual physical, the blood test showed my Creatinine level more than doubled. This was an indication that the kidney maybe damaged or becoming damaged. I did an immediate ultrasound that indicated the urethra was blocked by the prostate (perhaps by a great amount of pressure or an actual block. I do not know) So, the urine was backing up and the bladder was bulging.

The immediate solution was a catheter. And while that was uncomfortable, it was a great improvement to a bulging bladder. It also relieved the pressure on the kidneys. With the catheter in place, surgery was scheduled as soon as possible and performed with the success mentioned in my previous reply.

My understanding is I went through the recommenced process of medication and ultimately surgery if/when required. As stated by an earlier poster, retrograde ejaculation is a common side affect. I have read that with the TURP and often with the other less invasive operations, this is a common side affect. I had it with the Tamulosin which is also a side affect of that medication. Since the operation, I have had varied results in this area. But, even so, it is a mind over matter in my opinion. Ejaculation happens but the sperm goes into the bladder. So, all the sensation exists but it just does not come out. Obviously a problem if you still desire children. Otherwise, it is just weird.

Happy to answer questions for this important topic based on my experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, davef. Does not match my symptoms. I am seeing a urologist and nothing like this has been suggested, and I wanted to see if it should be considered.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post

Like the other poster said, you don't have to talk about anything you don't want to but, this is increasingly, my bailywick. How was it decided you should have the green light laser procedure as opposed to one of the thermo-therapy procedures? (The ones where they "cook" the prostate with microwaves or inject it with steam, for those unfamiliar with all these)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

davef, that is good news. Hope things continue as they are.