Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #21

I've always loved prunes, and school dinners in "junior school" in England often had prunes and hot custard for dessert.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I am one of the cited target demographic members who does, indeed, find dried plums preferable to prunes. The shape your mouth makes (pursed lips, as if in disapproval) and the rhyming with "ewww" put me off prunes.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I eat 4 prunes every morning with my cereal. If I eat more than 4, there is trouble. If I eat less than 4, it is trouble. 4 prunes is the right number for me!

Jo Ann
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Amethyst beat me to it. I figured the marketing people came up with "dried plums" in order to make the purchase more "palatable" to baby boomers...

Kindest regards.
I was going to comment on that as well. I think it's kind of funny that I can't find 'prunes' in the stores anymore, but you can find 'dried plums'!

But that got me thinking - what the heck is 'prune juice'? Why would you dry a plum, and then try to get the juice out of it? Isn't it just concentrated plum juice? Wouldn't that make it syrupy sweet (maybe it is, I'd have to check a label I guess).

-ERD50
Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've loved prunes and prune juice since I was a kid. Have to be careful not to overindulge, as like Tom I once couldn't stop and polished off a whole bottle. Luckily, the only other person around after was my husband.

As to good stuff for the GI tract, I recommend Kefir. I drink a glass of plain Kefir every morning. It's very tangy. I don't like milk (yeah, I know, have loved prune juice and hated milk since I was a kid -- I'm weird). But anyway, it has even more active cultures than yogurt.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Women in that age group have a horror of anything that seems "old," [I remember getting a 25th birthday card accusing me of getting old], and prunes are associated with old people - partly because of their fame as laxatives, and partly because of phrases like "wrinkled up like a prune."

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Dang, both of you beat me to it. I just sigh when I see "dried plums" on the shelf at the grocery store.

From FAQ | California Dried Plums:

Try saying that first one five times fast! And why is the target audience women between the ages of 25 and 54? And they admit (as I always suspected) that the reason they use the term "dried plums" is (a) it sounds better after years of prune jokes, and (b) they've dumbed it down, just like many other things.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've always loved prunes, and school dinners in "junior school" in England often had prunes and hot custard for dessert.
Your mention of hot custard in school brought back my own UK school dinner memory, Alan. Whenever we had a dessert that came with hot custard, the dinner ladies would pour the custard onto our pudding from large aluminum pitchers. When starting a new pitcher of custard, the dinner lady would scrape the custard skin off the top and put it into a bowl on the side. Some of us loved the skin. Every now and again, some young urchin would say, "Please miss, can I have the skin?" and would be rewarded with a bowlful of cold custard skin.

Aaah, the memories.......
Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
I eat 4 prunes every morning with my cereal. If I eat more than 4, there is trouble. If I eat less than 4, it is trouble. 4 prunes is the right number for me!
There used to be a TV ad for a laxative that had a line more or less like: "With prunes, you never know. Are 2 enough? Are 6 too many?"
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Your mention of hot custard in school brought back my own UK school dinner memory, Alan. Whenever we had a dessert that came with hot custard, the dinner ladies would pour the custard onto our pudding from large aluminum pitchers. When starting a new pitcher of custard, the dinner lady would scrape the custard skin off the top and put it into a bowl on the side. Some of us loved the skin. Every now and again, some young urchin would say, "Please miss, can I have the skin?" and would be rewarded with a bowlful of cold custard skin.

Aaah, the memories.......
I was that urchin

It was the same with the skin off the rice pudding - loved it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

So...you probably like the ends of the bread loaf, too, hmmm? Nothing like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I was that urchin

It was the same with the skin off the rice pudding - loved it.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So...you probably like the ends of the bread loaf, too, hmmm? Nothing like it!

Absolutely, I always raid the loaves to get the two ends.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #32

I needed to drink some prune juice a day or two before my oldest child was born and it did the trick. I don't think that I have had any since and he will be 36 shortly!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I needed to drink some prune juice a day or two before my oldest child was born and it did the trick. I don't think that I have had any since and he will be 36 shortly!
Prune juice or children? Though I'd think you'd remember having another child!

Hmmm, prune juice as a contraceptive? Maybe a new marketing tool?

-ERD50
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Prune juice or children? Though I'd think you'd remember having another child!

Hmmm, prune juice as a contraceptive? Maybe a new marketing tool?

-ERD50
That was exactly what I thought too!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hmmm, prune juice as a contraceptive?
-ERD50
I'm not sure I wanted that thought in my head, but you could be onto something
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Plum story: at one point growing up the family had acreage with an old prune orchard. Deer loved it, so did the cattle. Wandering in the fields I'd find perfect little piles of plum pits and finally found the cause. Cows would lay down and chew their cud, which contained lots of plums, and at certain points would spit the pits to one side and to one exact location, making perfect little piles. True story.

I'm more an oatmeal for breakfast every morning kinda guy. That and two cups of coffee...