Psoriasis anyone?

shoe

Recycles dryer sheets
I am curious to know if anyone here has psoriasis or has a loved one who does. My dermatologist has suggested home phototherapy and I was hoping someone can offer their experience. TIA:)

For a mild case Fluocinonide .05% might work. Read the insert! Probably only available from HC professional - whom you should consult in any case.

Thanks Koolau, but my case is considered severe.

Thanks Koolau, but my case is considered severe.

My DH has been taking Enbrel for this for several years with great results. Light therapy, creams, long sleeves and avoiding swimming pools are a thing of the past. It does have some side effects, for him, mild flu like symptoms for about 8 hours after dose. He has learned to take this in the evening and sleep through the side effects. This has been a life changing solution for him.

About once a year he has to go to bat w/insurance company to continue but it's well worth the hassle. Initially his dermatologist was reluctant to prescribe as well, saying that afore mentioned half measures should suffice. Some substantial persistence by DH was needed to convince doc. Now he is the poster child for success in this docs practice - go figure:rolleyes:

If you pursue this path, you can expect annual blood work and needles as it is an injectable.

Thanks Janet! A colleague of my husband swears by Enbrel as well. I did not want to try the big gun biologics, though, until I see what a course of phototherapy can do. The list of side effects of Humira and Enbrel has scared me off.....for now!

Back
Top Bottom