Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You might also look at your diet:

Magnesium deficiency is one potential cause of both depression and insomnia.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 03:55 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Get a recommendation for a psychiatrist who is diagnostic and not looking to build up their practice. One or two visits should do it. All the other issues are symptoms. Good luck. I was cured in 2 visits. Different issue but more debilitating.

I used to do this as a psychiatrist, not because I wasn't looking to build up my practice, but because it was the way I was trained and the ethical way. However it was the few and far between patient who wanted to just talk and not walk out without a prescription. Retired now, sorry I can't help the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I have to agree about MBSR. I have tried various talk therapies and cognitive therapies over the years (CBT: Aaron Beck and RET: Albert Ellis). However I have found that a mindfulness based approach to ruminations and anxiety has been very effective for me. If you are an Audible listener or into the Great Courses, listen to Ronald Siegel "The Science of Mindfulness" which covers the intersection of mindfulness and psychotherapy. It is super practical and will allow you to advance without the need of a therapist. But mindfulness does require you to spend time practicing meditation which is, in essence watching your own mind and being skeptical of the thoughts be secreted by your mind. Where CBT and RET are skeptical of distorted thinking, MBSR is skeptical of thinking itself. It is very helpful!
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
For anyone with experience or training in the area, how do you find a good and appropriate psychiatrist or therapist?

Basically, I have been suffering from OMY syndrome a very long time; and, I am considering TMY (Two, or Three, More Years) for a new opportunity. So, I think I need my head examined. But, I don't know where to start. Enough stigma still exists that I am reluctant to pose this question to people in my physical social circle, family, etc.

Seriously, this is not urgent; but, (not even pretending this is for a friend) more that one person has mentioned to me the possibility that I may be mildly depressed. And, I have had some mild symptoms that could be related to stress or anxiety if not depression.

While nothing is sever or debilitating, I would like to try to find out if this stems from j*b related stress (staying or retiring), family stress, andropause or other chemical imbalance, etc.
Do you want to relocate when you finally retire? If so,you can always put your home up for sale if you own. Once the escrow is done you have no choice at that point. That should solve your OMY syndrome.
Understanding both the power of compound interest and the difficulty of getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #25
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Definitely not miserable but probably not as content as I could be, definitely not where I would like to be. Some specifics for anyone who is interested:
  • Significant desire for free time of ER but significant anxiety as well
  • Occasional but recurring sleep issues
  • Recurring skin issues
  • Both lack of interest in and anxiety about career
  • General irritability/cantankerousness

As I read this, I think I should probably go back to see my primary care physician again. It has been well over a year.

Many thanks again to all who have offered suggestions and insights.
You may want to try a holistic doctor
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have a bi-polar daughter and have had to seek a psychiatrist's help from time to time. Our local hospital's mental health operation is very deficient in quality.

We live in a medium size city (140,000) with 3 psychiatrists and a couple of D.O.'s that claim to be psychiatrists. The psychiatrists have offices in 2-3 cities. When I Google their names, I find these guys have lived in numerous cities and states.
It's a shame our only child psychiatrist lost her license to practice medicine.

We used to drive 90 minutes to a larger city to see a psychiatrist, however she was doing nothing much for my daughter. We went into her office one Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. and found 50 people waiting to see her--@ $150 per 4 minute visit. She's enabling a bunch of pill heads to obtain their meds legally and is in the business for the almighty dollar.

Fortunately, my daughter now has a family practice doctor writing the same prescriptions as the above psychiatrist. If her conditions change, we'll probably have to go to a much larger medical community to find quality help. It's a shame that quality mental health care is not available everywhere. Young pill heads are screwing up the industry for people that actually needs assistance.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote