Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
The "experts" (and my doctor) recommend an average weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. 115 pounds in one year is 2.21 pounds per week average. Sounds doable to me. I expect to progress much more rapidly than that in the early stages as I have so much to lose and haven't walked further than prison rounds for so long.
Yeah I think you can do it, and by the sound of it, you are a pretty big guy (shoe size 13EEE from your other post, and 365# currently...must be 6'6" - 6'8"), so 2.21# per week should be doable. You are right, the pounds will fall off in the first weeks/months, esp if you have a lot to lose, and if you cut a lot of the carbs and add protein. Just don't overdo the exercise in the first few can kill you! Start out low and slow, and work up to it. If you have room for a stationary bike, it might be good to have one in front of the boob toob. Hop on for a 10-15 minutes every time you turn the TV on instead of plopping down in the recliner.

Good luck!

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Good Luck! It sounds like a fabulous plan.....definitely want to see the pictures.
Any takers to join you in this quest?

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I certainly don't want to discourage you, just want you to set reasonable goals. I'll be following your exploits as you post, cheering you on. I'm doing well on my 1 lb/week plan. Next week I'll be overweight for the first time in 25 years! Seems like an odd goal to celebrate, but everything is relative.

Anyway, good luck. If you kick ass the way it sounds like you will, maybe I'll get motivated to do it too. I can't run, but swimming is my forte, and biking is OK. A walk/swim/bike triathalon would be a great thing for me to accomplish.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Any takers to join you in this quest?
I've had offers to come and cheer, but nobody planning to join me. Although actually, it's kind of hard to join someone for a tri, since you are not allowed to draft/work together on the bike section anyway.

Originally Posted by harley View Post
A walk/swim/bike triathalon would be a great thing for me to accomplish.
There were quite a few folks who were walking the last leg in DC, and many others who would alternate running with walking as they pounded it out. I had to admire their grit.

"Iron" Mike - Semper Fi
Jack of all trades; Master of none.
LeatherneckPA is offline   Reply With Quote