Join Early Retirement Today

Purchasing a walker?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchasing a walker?

Will regular health insurance help pay for a walker if someone has a demonstrated need for one as well as a doctor's order? I think Medicare/Medicaid will help pay, but this person needs a walker immediately, has not been approved for disability yet, but does have regular group health insurance. Any info would be helpful.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't help. Can verify Medicare paid for my MIL's. We had to buy a second one for her for use at our Florida place.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Group health plans will cover certain walkers if you jump through the hoops in the right order. There has been so much fraudulent DME billing that you probably need to obtain "pre-authorization" from the insurance company in addition the the doctor's order. The insurer may restrict where you can obtain the DME from to certain authorized vendors. The plan may have a deductible or copay. I have seen them at Goodwill for less than the copay.

Contact the insurance company to obtain their exact process for having it approved and covered.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Will regular health insurance help pay for a walker if someone has a demonstrated need for one as well as a doctor's order? I think Medicare/Medicaid will help pay, but this person needs a walker immediately, has not been approved for disability yet, but does have regular group health insurance. Any info would be helpful.
A walker is classified as "Durable medical equipment" and is usually covered by insurance. There needs to be a prescription and the equipment is subject to deducible.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Search craigslist. We found an almost new wheelchair and walker for my MIL. After we no longer needed it we put it back on craiglist and gave it away to someone else in need
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
Search craigslist. We found an almost new wheelchair and walker for my MIL. After we no longer needed it we put it back on craiglist and gave it away to someone else in need
+1. My local Salvation Army has a bunch of these just sitting. Since almost anyone can get one for free, they have little resale value.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

In March I bought my Mother a walker . The brakes on her previous one failed . Insurance will cover a walker every five years since this walker was three years old I bought one from Amazon . A deluxe walker with a seat and wheels was $64.00.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Medicare part B will pay 80% if you go to an approved supplier.

But if someone needs a walker now, just go out and buy one. Then turn the bill in for reimbursement. Sometimes it's just not worth waiting or the hassle of dealing with pre-approval.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't buy one. It took me 6 months to get rid of ours and I was offering it for FREE. Some nursing homes won't even take them any more.

Besides craigslist, if you live in NewEngland you can also try the below URL - clearing house for durable med stuff that people want to donate.

Find, Buy, Sell, Donate Assistive Technology (AT) Equipment - The Assistive Technology Exchange in New England - Welcome
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought mine on Craigslist for less than my copay. It was almost brand new. Think it was $10.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

They are not expensive, just buy one.

It will be much less expensive than a fall.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you feel you need one buy it now regardless of if/or when you may get insurance to pick up the cost. Broken hips and/or other injuries are a lot more expensive and painful. Walkers aren't a guarantee against a fall or injury and you may never know if the walker "saved you", but you'll sure know if you fall and break something without one.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=3776971

$58 ... seat brake, and larger wheels. Choice of most of the folks in our CCRC.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
(emphasis mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
They are not expensive, just buy one.

It will be much less expensive than a fall.
+1

Many people on the forum would spend more money than the cost of a walker, on a dinner out with wine. If it was me, I'd buy it immediately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1. My local Salvation Army has a bunch of these just sitting. Since almost anyone can get one for free, they have little resale value.
+1

Our local thrift shop has a whole section of durable medical equipment and I think it's either free, "pay what you can", or dirt cheap. Limit 1 item per person.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

aren't those things really cheap?