Purchasing a walker?

Dreaming of Freedom

Recycles dryer sheets
Will regular health insurance help pay for a walker if someone has a demonstrated need for one as well as a doctor's order? I think Medicare/Medicaid will help pay, but this person needs a walker immediately, has not been approved for disability yet, but does have regular group health insurance. Any info would be helpful.

Can't help. Can verify Medicare paid for my MIL's. We had to buy a second one for her for use at our Florida place.

Group health plans will cover certain walkers if you jump through the hoops in the right order. There has been so much fraudulent DME billing that you probably need to obtain "pre-authorization" from the insurance company in addition the the doctor's order. The insurer may restrict where you can obtain the DME from to certain authorized vendors. The plan may have a deductible or copay. I have seen them at Goodwill for less than the copay.

Contact the insurance company to obtain their exact process for having it approved and covered.

Last edited:
Will regular health insurance help pay for a walker if someone has a demonstrated need for one as well as a doctor's order? I think Medicare/Medicaid will help pay, but this person needs a walker immediately, has not been approved for disability yet, but does have regular group health insurance. Any info would be helpful.
A walker is classified as "Durable medical equipment" and is usually covered by insurance. There needs to be a prescription and the equipment is subject to deducible.

Search craigslist. We found an almost new wheelchair and walker for my MIL. After we no longer needed it we put it back on craiglist and gave it away to someone else in need

Search craigslist. We found an almost new wheelchair and walker for my MIL. After we no longer needed it we put it back on craiglist and gave it away to someone else in need
+1. My local Salvation Army has a bunch of these just sitting. Since almost anyone can get one for free, they have little resale value.

In March I bought my Mother a walker . The brakes on her previous one failed . Insurance will cover a walker every five years since this walker was three years old I bought one from Amazon . A deluxe walker with a seat and wheels was $64.00.

Medicare part B will pay 80% if you go to an approved supplier.

But if someone needs a walker now, just go out and buy one. Then turn the bill in for reimbursement. Sometimes it's just not worth waiting or the hassle of dealing with pre-approval.

I bought mine on Craigslist for less than my copay. It was almost brand new. Think it was $10.

They are not expensive, just buy one.

It will be much less expensive than a fall.

If you feel you need one buy it now regardless of if/or when you may get insurance to pick up the cost. Broken hips and/or other injuries are a lot more expensive and painful. Walkers aren't a guarantee against a fall or injury and you may never know if the walker "saved you", but you'll sure know if you fall and break something without one.

(emphasis mine)
They are not expensive, just buy one.

It will be much less expensive than a fall.

+1

Many people on the forum would spend more money than the cost of a walker, on a dinner out with wine. If it was me, I'd buy it immediately.

Last edited:
+1. My local Salvation Army has a bunch of these just sitting. Since almost anyone can get one for free, they have little resale value.

+1

Our local thrift shop has a whole section of durable medical equipment and I think it's either free, "pay what you can", or dirt cheap. Limit 1 item per person.

Back
Top Bottom