Push-Up Breathing Question

Oh, I was mislead by the title.

I was going to say when I see a large pushup, my breathing goes a little faster and my eyes seem to bulge out a bit. :eek: :D

But now that I know the topic, my answer would be breathe out on the up and in on the down, if I was concerned about it and didn't breathe normally.

If you are just starting, you need to be sure that you do not hold your breath while exercising. Also, start slow and go slow. Too many trainers (and videos) will push you to find your maximum exertion point. That may be an effective way to build muscle for someone already in shape, but it's a good way to injure yourself, or worse have a heart attack, if you are new to exercising.

A good trainer (exercise physiologist if possible) can guide you about how to find safe levels of exertion and GRADUALLY increase as you get stronger. It's very very common for new exercisers to feel good after a few weeks and throw caution to the winds with a big jump in effort or endurance. This is a recipe to injury and may lead you to abandon your plans to exercise altogether. Be cautious. Go slow. Be safe.

Many trainers are not as knowledgeable as they think they are. Be especially careful of those that exhort you to greater effort and to push you harder. It's all too common, and can be very dangerous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom