Q. re: using Medicare

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been lucky with my health so far, so I'm fairly ignorant about the medical system, insurance, etc.

I'm on original Medicare and have supplemental Aetna Part G.

I've had an on-and-off pain situation with something (muscle or tendon) in my upper arm just beneath the shoulder. It goes from occasional twinges to full-out pain at times. I know it's there and I probably avoid doing things as a result.

Since this has been lingering for a year, I'm wondering if I should seek attention from a professional. I have no idea where to start or how. It's so minor at the moment that I hate to bother my primary physician. I'd like to know what it is and the cause and how to address it to make it go away. What do I do? Can I/Do I self-refer to a physical therapist?

omni

Certainly you can self refer to a Physical Therapist. Most prefer a referral as they get an initial diagnosis from the doctor.

I might have some insight (but not about Medicare - sorry). At the risk of sounding like old people comparing ailments, I had what sounds like the same condition several years ago. Turns out it was an inflamed bursa that sits under a bone in the shoulder. It couldn't heal because the bone constantly puts pressure on it. I lived with it for a year, but finally saw my regular old PCP, who fixed it with a simple steroid injection. Happy, but felt like a goober for living with it so long.

I recommend seeing your PCP and letting them diagnose your symptoms. I would not recommend deciding that physical therapy is the proper treatment for something that hasn't been diagnosed.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy responses.

Looks like I'll be making an appointment with my PCP.

omni

Back
Top Bottom