Join Early Retirement Today

Rowing to the rhythm
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Rowing to the rhythm

I use a Concept 2 rowing machine--when I can force myself to get on it--and have experienced total boredom while rowing for 30 minutes straight.

I found that a good marching tune, like Waltzing Matilda, gets the rhythm right. I also know if I'm getting tired, when I can't sing and breathe too.

Of course, it helps to vary the wording of the tune a bit, too. So I generally sing 'Walking Pneumonia' (...so he coughed and he snorked and he waited while his mucous dripped, you'll come a walking pneumonia with me.' Oh, as there's the alternative version from Hoot Island, entitled 'Suck My Er**tion.' The 30 minutes goes by so quickly...
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
- If you're exercising with a machine on your own at home, will you be able to beat the boredom? A gym may not be cheap but if it keeps you working out then it's a better deal than a $899 machine that's only been used 23 times. A good gym will keep upgrading to the latest equipment. Besides the social interaction (to say nothing of the scenery) is much better than a DVD player.
- Take a look at Jolie Bookspan's "exercise without pain" blog: The Fitness Fixer . She's come back from serious injuries to develop exercises that don't strain the joints or cartilage.
Well, we've got a bit under $4000 on weights & cardio machines in the basement, and my wife and I (and kids when they were still here) have made good use of them over the years. I'm pretty sure over the long run keeping decent stuff down there will be a bit cheaper than the two of us belonging to a club, and I really think we'll wind up exercising more regularly. (I wouldn't mind having access to an indoor pool though...)

I really don't get all that bored working out in my basement...we've got a great TV & sound system in the exercise area, and as a musician (bass, guitar, & limited singing) I can watch concert DVD's many times over. My wife times her workouts to coincide with hour-long cooking, remodeling, or wardrobe overhaul shows.

I'll look through the "Exercise Without Pain" site, as with nearly all aspects of my life, I never know when I've had enough until I've had way too much exercise, and have lifted myself into joint pain a number of times.

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With something as important as longterm health (weight, cholesterol, bloodpressure control), and with your limitations on the various gym machines, seems like swimming would be an ideal fill-in. To lessen the time you need walking, treadmilling, elliptical, and all the other gym "machines".

I know you said you'd rather do the stuff at home, but this is your longterm health you want to maximize---and that includes how you control your weight without prematurely wearing out the knee fixes. Swimming seems ideal fo doing both. It will take a decision to spend the time going to the swimming facility, but if you don't maybe you'll spend that time going thru more knee fixes? Besides, a routine going to the swimming facility 3 or 4 days a week could become a pleasant routine to look forward to. Get you out of the house, seeing new people. Could be a good thing.

I belong to 24 Hour Fitness where I live and they have a swimming pool. They have locations around the country. Maybe there is one near you. I waited till they had a special enrollment deal, no initiation fee, a one-time small processing fee, and if you paid up 3 years at the start, then renewals for your LIFETIME are at $20 a year! (They can do this because the average new member exercises for SIX WEEKS and quits, never to return!)

Or you can get the special deal with no enrollment, and pay monthly---I think it's about $24 a month. Lets you in 4 days a week (youchoose) use of all machines, pool, sauna, steamroom---basically the run of the place.

For those who travel a lot, they have a higher priced dues schedule lets you visit nationwide locations and get in 7 days a week (who would do that!)

Anyway, from what you say, swimming seems a good solution to multiple problems.