Qualified Roth distribution not counted as income for ACA calculation?

blueskyk

Recycles dryer sheets
We have limited our income to qualify for ACA subsidy and are close to the 400% FPL edge- I see on Healthcare.gov that qualified Roth distributions are not counted as income. Is this really true? Has anyone here with a subsidy used Roth distributions and had them not count as income?

https://www.healthcare.gov/income-and-household-information/income/

IMG_0394.JPG

Non-taxable Roth distributions are not considered income for ACA purposes. A taxable (non-qualified) distribution would be different.

+1 since the starting point for ACA MAGI is tax return AGI, if the Roth distribution is not taxable then it isn't included in ACA MAGI since there is no specific adjustment to adjust tax return AGI to add it back.

Thanks so much. We are planning to move to another state and in the process of selling our current home and buying a new home it’s nice to know we have some resources that can be tapped without exceeding the income limit.

MAGI computation for Obamacare subsidy

Hi, Planning to apply for premium subsidy for my 2018 health insurance. I had my insurance thru the exchange for 2 years but never applied for subsidy due to higher income. However, my income would be much lower for 2018 and will now be eligible for the subsidy.

upon checking numerous sites, I am confused how MAGI is computed. Some sites only mention these 3 things to add back from AGI to arrive at MAGI (do not mention IRA contributions to be added back):

"Any amount excluded from gross income in section 911 (Foreign earned income and housing costs for qualified individuals)

Any amount of interest received or accrued by the taxpayer during the taxable year which is exempt from tax

Any amount equal to the portion of the taxpayer’s social security benefits (as defined in Section 86 (d)) which is not included in gross income under section 86 for the taxable year. (Any amount received by the taxpayer by reason of entitlement to a monthly benefit under title II of the Social Security Act, or a tier 1 railroad retirement benefit.)"

some argues that IRA contributions should be added back to AGI to get MAGI.
"to calculate your modified adjusted gross income, take your AGI and add back certain deductions. Many of these deductions are rare, so it's possible your AGI and MAGI can be identical. According to the IRS, your MAGI is your AGI with the addition of the following deductions, if applicable:

Student loan interest
One-half of self-employment tax
Qualified tuition expenses
Tuition and fees deduction
Passive loss or passive income
IRA contributions, taxable social security payments
The exclusion for income from U.S. savings bonds
The exclusion under 137 for adoption expenses
Rental losses"

Sorry if this was already discussed but could not find anything using the search function. Hope someone can help to clarify this. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom