Join Early Retirement Today

Question about new healthcare reg for retiree
Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question about new healthcare reg for retiree

I retired as a public employee with 100% of my healthcare payed for. The new healthcare law requires children of those covered by employee sponsored healthcare to be covered until 26 years old. I have a son who is 21 and I was hoping the healthcare I have in retirement would cover him. They tell me not so but aren't very specific about what part of the new law exempts them. Anyone have any info on the subject?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is probably an exemption for retiree benefits from the age-26 law.

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It may also be that it simply won't apply until the new plan year. I am expecting to cover my daughter under my Federal plan starting in January.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I retired as a public employee with 100% of my healthcare payed for. The new healthcare law requires children of those covered by employee sponsored healthcare to be covered until 26 years old. I have a son who is 21 and I was hoping the healthcare I have in retirement would cover him. They tell me not so but aren't very specific about what part of the new law exempts them. Anyone have any info on the subject?
I think the new law only applies to 'new plans' your plan is probably an 'old plan'. My understanding is that an 'old plan' becomes a 'new plan' and subject to the law when it changes - in some way I'm not familiar with.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few months ago I asked my DHs pension plan about this. They said that the new reg applied to employers and not to pensions and that they had decided not to offer it. Then we got their newsletter and it said that they are modifying their plan in response to the federal health care reform legislation.

We can now cover our 23 year old (graduated from college in 2009), they removed the lifetime maximum for medical and pharmacy and modified the coverage structure for preventative tests and procedures to align with the provisions of the legislation.

Adding our son will add $40/month to our cost and he will be reimbursing us. He's gone almost a year without health insurance, been lucky and not needed medical care but he knows he needs to have it and compared to single coverage on his own this is a very good price. It has a high deductible for both medical and pharmacy but good coverage for the expensive catastrophic events, which is really what he needs the insurance for anyways.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I think the new law only applies to 'new plans' your plan is probably an 'old plan'. My understanding is that an 'old plan' becomes a 'new plan' and subject to the law when it changes - in some way I'm not familiar with.
No, this is not a situation of old vs new plans. (My health care reform update post tells you what applies to only new plans) However, retiree only health plans have a special set of rules and IIRC are exempt from the age 26 rules. The OP will need to check to be sure that is the case. I am relying on my feeble memory.

EDIT: FWIW,here is a short discussion of retiree only plans and exemptions: http://www.seyfarth.com/MA062110/

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote