Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For some insight into what kind of subsidies you may be eligible through ACA, you can check out what Massachusetts residents currently get with Romneycare.

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector

ACA will be similar but still a little different.
Thanks for the link I notice it asks for household income. That changes things some. I know the numbers are not exact but I am guessing I will not save anything going by household income. This link might help other toying around with this idea https://www.mahealthconnector.org/po...tributions.pdf
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you are going to be a stickler, then it is actually "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act". Kinda awkward to type all that, no?

But how is either more 'apt' than 'Obamacare'? It's a common, easy short-hand for the legislation, and everyone knows what is being discussed.

I have yet to see anyone here complain about some often discussed legislation when it is referred to by its common name, rather than "The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001".

-ERD50
Do you really believe that the term "obamacare" was not created as and still intended to be a pejorative?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I thought I could lower my cost because of my low income.
There are subsidies for those for whom minimal insurance isn't affordable otherwise.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

So if a couple has a MAGI of 100K they will pay $9500 for healthcare insurance. It the same couple makes $20K the next year, their insurance costs drop to $400. I see this accelerating ER for many (including me).

Numbers from the previous link (thanks): http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-in-one-post/
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Do you really believe that the term "obamacare" was not created as and still intended to be a pejorative?
I think we had this discussion a year or two ago and the mods*, after some research, agreed the term "Obamacare" may have started out as a pejorative term but had transcended to become mainstream. Of course anything may become a pejorative term if used with an inappropriate tone.

*One or more will be along shortly, I'm sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
I see this accelerating ER for many (including me).
Health care costs are the single largest source of concern for our retirement, especially due to the difference in our ages. If ACA can establish a firmer footing for us to make plans (and perhaps even help ensure affordability, too), that would be great. I fear though that these subsidies will end up needs-based on assets rather than on income, which would work against folks trying to keep their withdrawal rates in check during the first two-thirds of their retirement, and then throwing them into poverty toward the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Of course anything may become a pejorative term if used with an inappropriate tone.
I remember a scene from the comedy series Designing Women, regarding the use of the term "That's nice," by Southern women, as a "polite" way of saying the exact opposite.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Whatever meaning Obamacare had when it was first used, it has clearly morphed into a term used to describe the PPACA. This is common in the US to describe major legislative acts. As such, there is no harm in using that term here, as long as we do so in our usual, friendly and respectful manner.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
These people vote based on their misconceptions.
Could be said about a number of issues, and prob about voters in most countries too
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Obama himself has publicly welcomed the term.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I remember a scene from the comedy series Designing Women, regarding the use of the term "That's nice," by Southern women, as a "polite" way of saying the exact opposite.
Warning - Not work safe (profanity)

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

So our unearned income and tax free income will bump up the cost of whatever kind of care it is we can get through the exchanges come 2014? Once again, being conservative and frugal doesn't seem to be rewarded under whatever we can safely call the new health care law. Oh well.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Here's a video of Obama saying that he likes the term.

Mike D.

Obama likes ‘Obamacare’

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
If this percentage of the population are happy with their present insurance (i.e. from work, private coverage, etc), no one obliges them to buy a new one.
The coverage that many people now get from their employers will be prohibited under PPACA/Obamacare/the "new legislation." In other cases, employers have already disclosed that they intend to drop insurance coverage for workers once the PPACA goes into effect. So, the idea that "if you like your present coverage, you can keep it" is proving to be a less-than-accurate portrayal of options.

And the law does "oblige them to buy a new one", or pay a tax/penalty. That's another thing that changed under the new law.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

If you believe that any government originated "plan" (expand this term to include any department,organization,program,etc.) will not end up costing the taxpayer more than expected in the long run, you haven't been paying attention the last....oh.... 100 years or so !
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO, the term is like a Rorschach test.

Some see the term and view it negatively while others view it positively. All in the eye of the beholder.

Regardless, I'm just biding my time until around the fall when the dust settles more and we get a firmer picture as to how all the pieces fit together.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are correct that it's detractors used it that way but the Administration has embraced it under the view that eventually the program will evolve and improve and people will view it as a lasting legacy to Obama. I used the term from day one for the same reason - I like it. Lets face it, negativists often have their negativity backfire.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #37

Social Security was criticized when first introduced, and just like ACA, from the left and from the right. As a matter of fact, Social Security benefits were actually completely redefined before the first check went out, so by that measure the ACA has fared better than Social Security.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think we had this discussion a year or two ago and the mods*, after some research, agreed the term "Obamacare" may have started out as a pejorative term but had transcended to become mainstream.
(mod hat on)

Correct, as far as I recall. Some people used the term "Bush tax cuts" pejoratively, too, but that's what they became known as because it was something that everyone understood and was a lot easier to say than the actual name of the bill which introduced them.

The term "Obamacare" may have originally been used derisively, but it has come into widespread use now, and not just by critics of the president or the plan. In other words, the term has become more "politically neutral" than it originally was. For that reason we decided to allow using the term.

(mod hat off)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Lets face it, negativists often have their negativity backfire.
I like how you think donheff!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
... negativists often have their negativity backfire.
Are you positive?