Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Lets face it, negativists often have their negativity backfire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you positive?
Basic math. We all know two negatives make a positive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Basic math.
Are you making light of my disability?

\/
\/
\/
\/

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
a realistic perspective
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

a realistic perspective

In 2009 I was diagnosed with throat cancer. I was eligible for pension but not full medical benefits, I had 27 yrs. and 29 years were needed to guarantee medical benefits. My survival chances from the cancer were 50/50. Time was not on my side. I was 51 yrs. old. I chose to leave two years early as my future was a crap shoot. I may lose all medical benefits in June of this year. That would be tragic, but I welcome Obama care. There is a need for it. I have never understood the animosity from almost all sides. There are plenty of people who are not Medicare eligible based on age and not insurable for a variety of reasons. I agree with an earlier point that Obamacare will make early retirement more accessible and reduce the risks of having a life savings wiped out by the inability to pay for catastrophic illness. We cannot afford to be uninsured as the unexpected can one day arrive at your doorstep. Pre-existing conditions can be imposed on such simple ailments as obesity, cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking etc. Lets not give insurance companies that much control. Obamacare will provide some measure of oversight to an out of control medical empire. Why is an uninsured rate so much more than a contracted rate. I fully expect to pay for it but at least am grateful for the opportunity to be able to purchase insurance on a level field or at least an equitable rate.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #44
Administrator

Ratface, good to hear from you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
nice to be remembered
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

nice to be remembered

Thanks guys, great to be alive and great to be back. Forgot what an informative and friendly place this is.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
Thanks guys, great to be alive and great to be back. Forgot what an informative and friendly place this is.
+1

Excellent post.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an old HS buddy who is about 8 months into stage 4 cancer (55 y.o.). He decided years ago that he was healthy enough that he didn't need health insurance. He RE about 10 years ago and lives frugally off of a modest dotcom windfall. When the current diagnosis came up he successfully applied for county aid, and has had maybe $500K of treatment so far...all at county expense. He is doing okay so far, but the prognosis from the start has been that he has 1 yr +- to live.

This story illustrates one of the reasons I support (non-pejorative) Obamacare. Turns out my friend did have health insurance...he just didn't have to pay for it...we did with our county taxes. Same with the people who have their kids' colds treated (non-pejoratively, they may have no other option) at the ER. Let's figure a way for us all to have appropriate medical care options (ER for emergencies, clinics for colds, etc) and a way to equitably share the cost of that care. Obamacare certainly hasn't gotten it "just right," but it is a start and we can see how it works and make improvements from there.