Join Early Retirement Today

Question about Open Enrollment
Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Question about Open Enrollment

This year I wasn't eligible for subsidies and went directly to BCBS to purchase insurance.

With Open Enrollment coming up, I'll be eligible for subsidies next year so I plan on applying thru the exchange and picking the same BCBS plan that I currently have.

My question is, should I cancel my current BCBS policy before I purchase a new one via the Exchange? I'm guessing the systems aren't sophisticated enough to know that I'm the same person and I'd probably wind up with two policies if I didn't cancel the current one first.... ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your policy through HealthCare.gov won't start until 1/1/15, right? Don't cancel your current policy until January.

Last year we did something similar, going from retiree insurance (2 single policies) to ACA insurance (both of us on a family policy) with the same insurance company. Being that the ACA insurance was such a new system, I called and explained the situation. DH's ID number even stayed the same but mine changed to his since we were on the same policy.

Our insurer handled everything just fine. It took a few months until they offered online bill paying but it all works well now.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't cancel until your enrollment is confirmed. You can probably just not pay your January premium on the existing policy in late December as you normally might, then cancel as soon as you see you are actually insured on the new plan.

When I was laid off last year I took a short-term policy through BCBS until the end of 2013. My wife is insured through her employer but I went through the Marketplace. I have the same member ID as I had with my short-term policy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think it will be wise to wait until the first couple of weeks in December to enroll on the Exchange so that the effective start date thru the Exchange will be 1/1/2015. There will also be a significant change in income on a year over year basis (six figure salary, bonuses, and accrued benefit payouts in 2014, nothing but dividends and capital gains in 2015) so it would also be best if the delineation between income changes match up with the start date for subsidies.

My initial experience with BCBS's billing systems was a nightmare which is why I'm skeptical they will get it right. Sounds like going forward with the Exchange, getting a policy secured and confirmed thru the Exchange, and then not paying/cancelling any redundant invoicing is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think it will be wise to wait until the first couple of weeks in December to enroll on the Exchange so that the effective start date thru the Exchange will be 1/1/2015. There will also be a significant change in income on a year over year basis (six figure salary, bonuses, and accrued benefit payouts in 2014, nothing but dividends and capital gains in 2015) so it would also be best if the delineation between income changes match up with the start date for subsidies.

My initial experience with BCBS's billing systems was a nightmare which is why I'm skeptical they will get it right. Sounds like going forward with the Exchange, getting a policy secured and confirmed thru the Exchange, and then not paying/cancelling any redundant invoicing is the way to go.
Have ACA for 2014. Used, Blue shield of CA. You should "yelp"
them.
claims, billing, premiums, dept. a mess. When ever you call, you get a
different answer.
During open enrollment, will change carriers.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One benefit of a private pay system - if you don't like your insurer, you can change.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote