Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I learned from NPR that the Romans used a strigil to remove sweat. Maybe that would be sufficient for you?
Interesting:

And here's a family using strigils:

That illustration was taken from a decal that the Romans used on the backs of their chariots.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
The term "surfactant" is an abbreviation of "surface active agent". Generally speaking it is a molecule with one part that is hydrophobic (water hating) and one part that is hydrophilic (water loving). So soap which is the sodium salt of a long chain fatty acid is a surfactant - the fatty part is insoluble in water and the salt at the end is water soluble. These molecules reduce the interfacial tension between oil and water and allow fatty and particulate soils to be removed from substrates.

Hope that made sense. It is not really lubrication but a way to lower the amount of energy required to break the attraction of dirt to substrate.
Thank you.

Took a couple of readings to get it. Had to look up a few words. Techie and mechanics are easy for me, chemistry is black magic. Will work on the long chain fatty acid understanding.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

1. Second T-Al's suggestion: Work out once per day, not twice. Working out twice a day means you're either starring in an action movie where you have to be extremely buff, or you have time to kill. OK, I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind And no, I am not laughing at the idea that you might be in an action movie.

2. Pat yourself dry with towel - do not rub. Patting sounds wimpy, but your skin will thank you.

3. Honestly - do you have such an odor concern that you must shower each and every time you perspire? Don't laugh, odor could be partly your imagination - Americans are brainwashed from childhood to fear they may be "offending" others via body odor. This fear sells many products. Anyway, people do differ in the odor dept. Maybe all you need is bath powder (corn starch + talcum) for the second perspiration of the day.

4. Finally - in wintertime, I get very itchy shoulders and shoulder blades, because the skin there is thinner and dryer than elsewhere. I rub in some unscented almond oil (sold for massage use) and the itch clears right up. The oil soaks in and doesn't feel oily at all. So there is something else to try.

Amethyst
Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Scrubbing to get sweat off? That's the problem. Even if sweat dries on your skin, a little bit of water dissolves the salt and away it goes. You don't need to use soap at all.
I like "LOL!"'s idea. Unless guys' sweat contains a lot more oils than ours does, water should remove it, right? You could save the soap for one shower a day, preferably the shower right before a heavy date.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
1. Second T-Al's suggestion: Work out once per day, not twice. Working out twice a day means you're either starring in an action movie where you have to be extremely buff, or you have time to kill. OK, I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind And no, I am not laughing at the idea that you might be in an action movie.
I'll tell you a story about how I came to settle on rowing 2x/day, and walking or dancing to add a bit to this.

When I was born, my maternal grandfather was 77. By the time I could hang around with him on the farm I must have been 4 or so, so he was ~81. He ran a large mixed farm, by himself except during haying and corn harvest. Did all his own plowing, (with horses!) He was slim and wiry and extemely strong. In no way did he seem like an old man. If I do two 45-60' rowing sessions, I will still likely be doing less than 20% of his daily output. To me this seems a reasonable, perhaps even a completely wimpy goal.

Also, my physique is improving in ways that I like.

So I want to try to figure out the shower stuff, rather than cut back on my output.

I may be completely wrong, but I believe that we middle class people are not normally active enough.

As to BO, I don't think I have any unusual difficulty. But I really do not like to offend with my body, so I am careful.

I think the minimal soap idea advanced by W2R and others likely has promise. But I had about 60 years of looking forward to being really clean after working hard and getting sweaty, so it is challenging for me to change. I must do it though, I am not enjoying this itching at all.

And I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Ha
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I may be completely wrong, but I believe that we middle class people are not normally active enough.
Not to hijack the thread, but I couldn't agree more! Most of us need so much more exercise than we normally get (IMO). If you feel like working out twice a day, and it works for you, I think that is great.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

As in the camping thread, there may be something magical about the amount of "non-sitting time."

I wonder how often Granddad showered.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I wonder how often Granddad showered.
Once a day for this one.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I visited my dermatologist today, as I was still itching and inflamed. He told me what you guys did- I'm too old to shower with soap 2x/day. He says once we hit 40 it is downhill for skin, and soap, esp the wrong soap, hot water, rough brushes or loofahs etc just make it worse.

I wish I could put my machine outside and stay cool, but I'll just do a quick rinse off instead. I tried Al's idea of just rowing once daily- what I found is that I just continue to row twice, and double my time. I may just have a certin amount of nervous energy that has to be expended. It was easy before, as I like to walk around. But my distance is now limited by my hip/back- today I went to Uwajimaya and walked about 6 miles. I was fine still I got home and stopped, but then it was out with the ice pack.

Everything he said agreed completely with the suggestions here, so you guys are very smart about skin, and I was pretty stupid about skin.

Ha