Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Question About Soap and Shampoo
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question About Soap and Shampoo

Hi all,

Since i got my rowing machine at home I have fallen into a 2x/day exercise pattern, morning and afternoon. I cannot put in 30 minutes or so without getting a pretty good sweat going, so I need to shower each time.

This is a lot of showering- 14 or more every week, and I need some way to not get my skin dried out and itchy.

I don't know anything about any of this. The shampoo is ok I think. I use Aveda Rosemary Mint, which I started years ago as it is easy on the scalp.

How about body soap and perhaps a post shower lotion? I know zip about these, but I would like some suggestions from more experienced people.

Thanks,

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Hi all,

Since i got my rowing machine at home I have fallen into a 2xday exercise pattern, morning and afternoon. I cannot put in 30 minutes or so without getting a pretty good sweat going, so I need to shower each time.

This is a lot of showering- 14 or more every week, and I need some way to not get my skin dried out and itchy.

i don't know anything about any of this. The shampoo is ok I think. I use Aveda Rosemary Mint, which I started years ago as it is easy on the scalp.

How about body soap and perhaps a post shower lotion? I know zip about these, but I would like some suggestions from more experienced people.

Thanks,

Ha
Ha, I shower often and love my hot water. I have found nothing to really help during the showering phase, but afterward I always use oatmeal based lotion. I use the equate walmart version as it does the same as the higher priced aveeno brand. I put it on immediately after shower, and have never had itchy skin since I started using it. Regular lotion did me no good.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ha, I shower often and love my hot water. I have found nothing to really help during the showering phase, but afterward I always use oatmeal based lotion. I use the equate walmart version as it does the same as the higher priced aveeno brand. I put it on immediately after shower, and have never had itchy skin since I started using it. Regular lotion did me no good.
+1

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think the stuff you use in the shower washes off, so I'd focus on what you apply after the shower when you are dry. I would second the oatmeal stuff. Rarely have dry skin, but that is what I use in the dead of what passes for winter here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My legs get very dry, especially the front shin area. I use Softsoap Ultra Rich Shea Butter Creme moisturizing body wash every day. I apply a small dab to a terry wash cloth, which also helps to remove dry skin as I wash.
The bodywash does not have a "girly" fragrance, so you might like it.
In the low humidity of the winter, my skin gets very dry, so good old fashioned baby oil is used after the shower. Just enough to lube but not so much that it gets on my clothes.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard that a cooler shower doesn't dry your skin out as much.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

Once I bought a water softener most of my dry skin problems went away, but prior to then Oilatum soap was great. I haven't bought it in years so don't know if it's still around.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Administrator

I have been using Vaseline Intensive Care (fragrance free) for years due to chronic dry skin. It is less expensive and just as effective, according to Consumer Reports 10 years ago or so. Best prices are at Costco and Sams, a bit more at WalMart or Target.

Consumers Reports has a recent short review which does not include that product but does include others. They declare Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion as superior.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

My granddaughter has dry skin and the doctor recommended Cetaphil Moisturing Cream. We bought a large jar of it as Sam's Club.

I am going to look at the Equate Oatmeal lotion the next time I go to Wal-Mart. I normally use Suave lotion or if I am going to be outside for a quick walk, I use Lubriderm with SF 15.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Two workouts/showers per day sure sounds like too much to me, even if it isn't damaging.

Anytime you take a shower -- especially a hot one -- with soap and a scrubbing device like a washcloth or a loofah, you're undermining the integrity of your skin's horny layer. The soap and the hot water dissolve the lipids in the skin and scrubbing only hastens the process. The more showers you take, the more frequently this damage takes place and the less time your skin has to repair itself through natural oil production. What's more, the horny layer of your skin can be sloughed off by scrubbing, exposing the delicate skin cells beneath. The result of showering too frequently is generally dry, irritated and cracked skin.

Another problem related to showering too often is the use of a towel to dry off. While rubbing yourself dry with a towel is common practice, it's also a damaging one for your skin. Air drying is the optimal way to dry off following a shower, but if you don't have time to wait for evaporation or don't like tracking bathwater throughout your house, you can still use a towel. Just make sure it's a soft one and use a gentle patting motion to absorb water.

The chemistry of each person's skin is different, so showering ever day may not be as damaging to some people as it would be to others. Still, you might want to skip a shower every once in a while. You can also protect your skin by using soft soaps with warm instead of hot water. To top it off, apply a moisturizer after each shower. We all love feeling clean, but we also have to strike a balance between clean skin and healthy skin.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Two workouts/showers per day sure sounds like too much to me, even if it isn't damaging.

Anytime you take a shower -- especially a hot one -- with soap and a scrubbing device like a washcloth or a loofah, you're undermining the integrity of your skin's horny layer.
At my age the last thing I want to do is undermine anything horny. But to skipping showers, how? On weight days I lift am, row pm. On all other days, I row twice. I keep the radiator off, and open up the windows, but exercise just makes you hot. I really can't get behind going around dirty. I am hoping that a better soap and one of these lotions will do the trick.

I know I have probably not been too kind to my skin, I love a hot shower after a workout, and i like back brushes and abrasive devices to get all the sweat off.

Remember, cleanliness is next to godliness.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #12

One helpful tip is to apply the lotion to wet skin. Let it soak in for a minute or two then very lightly pat your skin dry. More of the lotion will absorb with this method.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I shower twice in a day as often as not, but I just use plenty of hot water and standard products (Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo, or Suave shampoo, and Ivory soap). I only use a washcloth for washing, instead of a loofa or brush. Lots of hot water is especially helpful after a workout, plus the shower massager feels good on tired muscles.

No problems with dry skin, I guess due to the humidity here, maybe? I don't even use a lotion most of the time. I had lots of trouble with dry skin in less humid climates.

I have noticed in some locations where I have lived (notably one location in rural Mississippi, but other more highly populated places too), that the actual water from the shower has something in it that I am sensitive to and that makes me itch and get all blotchy. Maybe it is metal, or maybe some other chemical; I don't know. Is it possible that you need some sort of filtering device for your water?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Use simple soap ((Kirk's Castile ?), only use soap on portions of body subject to smelling bad.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Use simple soap ((Kirk's Castile ?), only use soap on portions of body subject to smelling bad.
+1 and a scrub pad. Very little soap.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

DW uses various type body moistureizers but for bar soap she swears by Oil of Olay. I'm not pickey. And we have a water softener. Back when we were not used to soft water, I hated to shower in soft water. Always felt like I still had soap on me. Now I can't live without soft water. Had trouble with our softener last week and knew right off there was something wrong. Had to call the Aquarius guy out. Regular service plus replace some o-rings, $60.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
DW uses various type body moistureizers but for bar soap she swears by Oil of Olay. I'm not pickey. And we have a water softener. Back when we were not used to soft water, I hated to shower in soft water. Always felt like I still had soap on me. Now I can't live without soft water. Had trouble with our softener last week and knew right off there was something wrong. Had to call the Aquarius guy out. Regular service plus replace some o-rings, $60.
Oil of Olay... Haven't used that word since about 10 years ago, as a Christmas gag gift bought my GF's mother a bottle. Packaging, bottle, and color of bottle looked exactly like it except on the label it said "Oil of Old Lay".. She didn't notice it at first and actually thanked me for it before she did a more thorough reading of the label.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Oil of Olay... Haven't used that word since about 10 years ago, as a Christmas gag gift bought my GF's mother a bottle. Packaging, bottle, and color of bottle looked exactly like it except on the label it said "Oil of Old Lay".. She didn't notice it at first and actually thanked me for it before she did a more thorough reading of the label.
I assume that's ex-GF now. MILs aren't usually known for their sense of humor.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #19

I use Dove soap and am very happy with it.

From their site: "Dove® contains ¼ pure moisturizing cream and mild cleansers that leave skin clean, soft and smooth. Soap, on the other hand, contains drying ingredients that strip skin of its natural moisture, leaving it feeling dry and tight."

The air here in the winter is very dry and using Dove soap keeps my skin from drying out. Year-round, I never have to use lotion or moisturizer after bathing which makes me happy.

Maybe it's just me... I like showering and getting my skin clean but I dislike getting my skin "not clean" by putting something like a lotion on it right after I shower, as lotions always leave my skin feeling like there's something on it and it's no longer clean.

YMMV.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

+1 here to what omni550 said. I buy the green Dove soap because I like the smell, but I do fine with any of the Dove bars.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote