Join Early Retirement Today

Question for the Docs: some random speculation
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Administrator

Question for the Docs: some random speculation

Venezuelan dictator thug President Chavez has been in Cuba for 2 weeks receiving medical treatment. The attributed cause is "Pelvic Abscess". There is total silence in Cuba on this. His absence is very uncharacteristic and is raising all kinds of speculation.

Perhaps one of the medical professionals here could shed some light on what a pelvic abscess is and also speculate on the kind of complication he might be dealing with (assuming they are telling the truth).

His twitter account sent a message this morning so he is probably alive. Today is a national holiday celebrating an important battle (Batalla de Carabobo) and no words from him to the Military are like throwing jet fuel on the fire.

See here for limited background Where is Hugo Chavez? - CSMonitor.com
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw this in the WSJ and wondered as well. Very interesting to me that he'd go to Cuba instead of being treated in Venezuela, I thought.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #3

No medical training here, but I've seen published comments that indicate a "pelvic abscess" is more likely a symptom in reaction to another condition, rather than being an actual diagnosis per se.

Cuba has been providing medical personnel to other Latin American countries for decades, including Venezuela, so that part is understandable.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Odd term to use in a male, pelvic abscess, but one possibility is a diverticulum that perforated and created an abscess in the lower abdomen (pelvis). This is treated with surgery and antibiotics.

More likely, it's an evasive term and they are not being "forthright."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No medical training here, but I've seen published comments that indicate a "pelvic abscess" is more likely a symptom in reaction to another condition, rather than being an actual diagnosis per se.

Cuba has been providing medical personnel to other Latin American countries for decades, including Venezuela, so that part is understandable.
Yeah, I know Cuba's docs are good, but I guess if I was a powerful dictator, I'd have the docs come to me, rather than leave my somewhat unstable dictatorship to go there.

I mean, I can't see an American president leaving this country to get treatment in Europe or something.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Odd term to use in a male, pelvic abscess, but one possibility is a diverticulum that perforated and created an abscess in the lower abdomen (pelvis). This is treated with surgery and antibiotics.

Actually, some have wondered about his manliness.

Thanks for the clarification, Rich, and agree with you regarding their evasiveness. In effect, those in the know aren't talking.

As to Cuba, no doubt. Medical care in Venezuela is superior (Castro was there for heart surgery) but only in the private sector and decreasingly so. There has been a great deal of hostility by the Chavez gov't and supporters toward Doctors and clinics (part of the squalid oligarchy)

Medical attention is much better in Brazil. I guess this lays to rest to whole "Brazil and Venezuela are best buds" theory. Cuba is the only place Chavez can look to for help, because it's the only place that has a vested interest in keeping him alive and governing. Everyone else in the west wants him out of the way.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It is probably difficult to ever get any true medical info about these 3rd world leaders. How many times was Kim Jong and Castro himself rumored to already be dead from their illnesses and they are both still alive.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It is probably difficult to ever get any true medical info about these 3rd world leaders.....
FTFY
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree. Or maybe the confusion comes from a bad translation of "hernia del piso pelvico" (= inguinal hernia ?).

Quote:

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I agree. Or maybe the confusion comes from a bad translation of "hernia del piso pelvico" (= inguinal hernia ?).
It's not the translation. Here's an example I took from El Pais (Spain)

Quote:
la noticia de que el presidente venezolano fue operado en La Habana el viernes debido a "un absceso pélvico" -sin más especificaciones- fue una absoluta sorpresa.
I suspect you and Rich got it immediately - just your basic obfuscation.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think "pelvic abscess" is a very advanced pole dancing move.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Clap on, clap off.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
Administrator

We will know in a couple of weeks. One big downside of autocratic gov't is the power vacuum creates lots of opportunities. Venezuela has no shortage of ambitious aspiring replacement candidates. If he does not return soon he will be pushed aside.

Lots of speculation he is being treated for prostate cancer.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a doctor, but I think I had something similar to a pelvic abscess. I had a ruptured appendix that became infected and developed a phlegmon. (according to the web, an abscess can be drained and a phlegmon cannot.) I took antibiotics for several weeks until the mass diminished and I began to feel better. Then I had a laproscopic appendectomy.

So maybe Hugo is going through something similar.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think "pelvic abscess" is a very advanced pole dancing move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Clap on, clap off.
That was my thought...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I think I had something similar to a pelvic abscess. I had a ruptured appendix that became infected and developed a phlegmon. (according to the web, an abscess can be drained and a phlegmon cannot.) I took antibiotics for several weeks until the mass diminished and I began to feel better. Then I had a laproscopic appendectomy.

So maybe Hugo is going through something similar.
I'm glad you made it through that awful experience. Sounds scary.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #17

Quote:

That or complications from a prostate procedure.

DD
Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I'm glad you made it through that awful experience. Sounds scary.
Thanks! It was only scary up until the antibiotics took hold. And the colonoscopy prep.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yeah, I know Cuba's docs are good, but I guess if I was a powerful dictator, I'd have the docs come to me, rather than leave my somewhat unstable dictatorship to go there.

I mean, I can't see an American president leaving this country to get treatment in Europe or something.
It's amazing to me how bias people can be relying solely on the depiction of Chavez in the American media. BTW, he was democratically elected and is a hero to the vast majority of Latin Americans. People feel so comfortable referring to Chavez as a dictator and thug and completely ignore the fact that the rest of the world considered George Bush exactly that.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
It's amazing to me how bias people can be relying solely on the depiction of Chavez in the American media. BTW, he was democratically elected and is a hero to the vast majority of Latin Americans. People feel so comfortable referring to Chavez as a dictator and thug and completely ignore the fact that the rest of the world considered George Bush exactly that.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter - but a nutjob is a nutjob...