Join Early Retirement Today

Queston FEHB Going Into Medicare
Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Queston FEHB Going Into Medicare

This site has a number of retired Federal (CSRS) employees who may know of other forums or information sources that can address my SSA/Medicare/FEHB situation; I am now about 65 and time to register for SS (which means only for Medicare, no SS benefits). Up to now I have been ‘double covered’ by FEHB AND DWs state medical benefits, there is no charge to either of us for my coverage under her plan. I contacted my HMO (Kaiser) and they said I have to choose only one source for their Medicare Advantage Plan. If I choose to continue to be covered by my wife’s system how do I decline FEHB coverage? If I decline it now can I restart at some open enrollment period in the future? (Just remotely possible that her former employer may want to decrease dependent benefits someday.) I see references to ‘file & suspend’ but these references usually cite Tricare coverage as the alternative and I do not have such coverage. This could potentially save me $1K a year in premiums if it all works out smoothly. But I see that in registering for Medicare they want me to apply for Part B and Kaiser wants me to pay into Part B yet would I not be covered by DWs coverage paying into Part B as a dependent?

Sent an email to OPM, I do not expect a response.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am on my phone and can't easily look it up but there is a Forum called Fedsoup that has a sub forum on FEHB and Medicare. Some very knowledgeable people there.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can suspend the FEHB if you have other coverage, but if you cancel it then you can never reenroll in FEHB.

This is a link to the form which includes details about suspending or cancelling FEHB.

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/ri79-9.pdf
Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
You can suspend the FEHB if you have other coverage, but if you cancel it then you can never reenroll in FEHB.

This is a link to the form which includes details about suspending or cancelling FEHB.

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/ri79-9.pdf
That form appears to indicate that you can cancel to go under a spouses FEHB plan and reenroll later or you can suspend to go under Medicare Advantage, Tricare and a couple of other specific plans and reenroll later but there is no section to suspend to go under a spouse's private plan. If you want Kaiser's Medicare Advantage plan (but not regular Medicare A&B) it sounds like you could suspend and reenroll. It irritates me that the government distorts its regs to support Medicare Advantage but doesn't do the same for simply staying under a spouse's private plan and Medicare Part A. Just another slight tilt toward Advantage (in addition to the subsidies).