ramen noodles

Wait a sec, ramen isn't filling at all, unless you eat 3-4 servings of it. It also hasn't been cheap for the last 3 years, it tripled in price. I remember eating it as a snack, but it's pretty bad for a meal. Potatoes/beans are the way to go for really cheap and filling food, if someone is going that way, both of which are fairly healthy. Brown rice is good too, but it requires some sort of sauce/topping to go with it.

Yeah. I know. They are a lot faster to cook than other noodles. Sometimes when I get lazy I use them instead. I don't use the packets loaded with msg, etc.

They are cheap eats but I rarely use them alone. The so called seasoning packet is pure salt so I trash that. I use the noodles in stir fry's. My favorite is rendering down a roast chicken or turkey to get the remaining meat off of it then throwing some veggies and those noodles in to the resulting stock. Makes a great chicken soup. The down side is that ramen noodles are fried and are high in trans fat. That more that the lack of fruits and veggies is the health concern so I would not make a steady diet of them.

Top Ramen with an egg (typical college student's lunch) with some green onions and a V8 as a beverage, would make a complete meal?

Here is Wiki for the instant ramen inventor - he supposedly ate instant ramen almost everyday and still lived to be 96 years old... I'm sure he ate tons of other good things, but I am a little surprised that he lived to be that old (with transfat and who knows what else in the noodles). I should be more surprised that he chose to eat the stuff everyday.

Momofuku Ando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Way back when, when living off base as a single enlisted dog, you got no living allotment, so me and my buddies ate a bunch of ramen. We would throw an egg and some green veggies in (before our times I guess). Fast forward 30 years and I still love the taste of this quick to make bowl of goodness.

I have found that on occasion you can still find them on sale for 8 or 10 bags for a buck. That's cheap in anyones book.

As to the nutritional value, I guess it has enough calories to keep you alive.

Chicken broth, mushrooms and ramen. Throw away the pack or don't drink the broth.

Back
Top Bottom