Ranking of teaching hospitals?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Other than U.S. News & World Report's rankings of top hospitals every year--and Thomson Reuters Top Hospitals (Solucient's old rankings) that rates the "performance IMPROVEMENT leaders"--does anyone know of any way to find out rankings and reviews of major teaching hospitals? I am doing some homework and attempting to find the better hospitals, and am not finding all that much...probably because I'm not in the field,:confused: and have no idea what is reliable or not.

Other than U.S. News & World Report's rankings of top hospitals every year--and Thomson Reuters Top Hospitals (Solucient's old rankings) that rates the "performance IMPROVEMENT leaders"--does anyone know of any way to find out rankings and reviews of major teaching hospitals? I am doing some homework and attempting to find the better hospitals, and am not finding all that much...probably because I'm not in the field,:confused: and have no idea what is reliable or not.
All big University affiliated hospitls in the US are good. If some are better than others, it is usually in one area-like cancer at M.D. Anderson, or heart disease at the Cleveland Clinic.

Ha

You might try the AAMC website - American Association of Medical College - don't knowif they have a ranking list though - haven't looked myself. Probably any ranks would be more by speciality.

Other than U.S. News & World Report's rankings of top hospitals every year
All the listed hospitals are good in their respective specialty area, but many other good ones abound. And a hospital can easily be strong in ENT and mediocre in cardiology, for example.

All big University affiliated hospitls in the US are good.
Well, all have their strengths, but many would not be considered "good" in all regards. They are often over-crowded, predominantly indigent service institutions (good in many ways but with 4 hour waits, interesting looking wards, multi-patient rooms, etc. And some substandard care is given for lots of reasons.

You might try the AAMC website...
Medical education advocacy and credentialing group, not a source of hospital quality surveys.

IMHO best course is to use word of mouth, esp your PCP, and check out the Joint Commission web site.

Rich_in_Tampa: What is PCP? Great website..thanks!!!!

My mother who is almost 90 in a couple weeks just went to emergency for the 3rd trip in 6 weeks this week. She was there from 8:30 am until 4 p.m. when they FINALLY wheeled her to a room. She was not offered water or anything to eat all that time, and had not eaten anything or had anything to drink all day. She is also diabetic.
She had one test in the a.m. They just let her lie in the bed and, frankly, forgot her. Lots of beds empty in the entire hospital, so it wasn't that. It was just sloppy, I don't care service which is typical of this entire medical area. Like I say constantly, when my duties are done here, I am getting the heck out asap.
Finally, at 5:30 pm (she was to be fed at 5 pm before everyone else) she had some food come up as I was out in the hallway having a hissy fit! Caring? Good service? NOT!!!
So, this is what you can expect from a very mediocre hospital in a very poorly medically serviced area I guess.
I have learned from this experience that unless you have a caring family member or friend watching over you and assertive enough to ask for service for you, you can be left alone...to just be by yourself, starve and hope for the best. Rough thing to go thru alone I see.

Back
Top Bottom