Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Reasons Why People Retire Early
Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
gone traveling

Reasons Why People Retire Early

Retirement is definitely a new phase of life as you can find it is time during which new doors for opportunity get opened. It will be a real boost to your life, if you afford to enroll for premature retirement. The real trouble with people is that they are scared of leaving their regular job because they don't have any business idea to do something different.

During busy working life, people fail to do any family interaction and keeping touch with close friends. So sometimes home sickness and family bounding are the important reasons why people retire early. If you retired early then you may come to know recent activity conducted in your community. In case you have resident's association you may want to take active part in them so that people around you may benefit from your own experience.

What you think are there any more reasons for getting people retired early
Scribbler33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not retired yet but the main motivators for me to retire early are:

1. I am lazy and would prefer not to work 5 days per week.

2. I do not like working in my "typical" Corporate America middle management job because I feel like I am adding very little value to society. I am slaving away simply to make the top 25-30 execs in my company incredibly wealthy. We are announcing record revenue, record profits and our stock is at an all time high. Meanwhile, we closed down 3 plants this past year and gave everyone a 2% merit increase.

3. I want to have the free time to pursue the things I enjoy (travel, hiking, sports, partying with friends, spending time with my daughter) full time.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only reason I ever worked in the first place, (other than to eat regularly and sleep inside), was so that I could quit.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The only reason I ever worked in the first place, (other than to eat regularly and sleep inside), was so that I could quit.
Really? That would sure make working seem like a longer more tedious experience than it could be. After a while, in my case maybe 25-30 years, I can understand but right off the get go? I sure wouldn't want to be your boss.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Trigger for my retirement was cancer (cured now), but at the time in my own business and about to expand and take on debt. Looking death in the face gives a different perspective. Fortuitive forced decision.
Having been retired for a time, now... have become selfish... Love the freedom that makes worries seem insignificant.

Joyous... waking in the AM, and not having to go to the train.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Really? That would sure make working seem like a longer more tedious experience than it could be. After a while, in my case maybe 25-30 years, I can understand but right off the get go? I sure wouldn't want to be your boss.
Funnily enough I was promoted.....and, at one point in my 'career', (before I was transferred to Saudi), I was approached at a company party by two of my cohorts, (both of whom were on the 'fast track' for ongoing 'onward & upward promotions), and told that I was "The cream of the crop" and asked "When was I going to buckle down?"

My work was good, which, (as I intended), resulted in my being left alone as a pretty much autonomous operative......my customers were happy, my bosses were happy, and I was happy, since I wasn't subjected to the constant self-validation that some of my contemporaries faced.

And...other than doing odd jobs, construction/truck driving...even skinning kangaroos for pet meat once......while I bummed around the world, (and before I returned to school), I only worked at 'serious' jobs for ~ 15 years before I 'retired' at age 46.

I didn't 'hate' what I was doing, but as soon as I didn't have to do it...I stopped.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I hated getting up early and running around and trying to eat breakfast fast enough to make my train...........and then I HATED the commute, even 2 days a week in my last 17 months of working. The commute was long, tiring, and often sickening.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Because fortunately I could afford to never have to work again at least on paper at age 57. I had a good career and a great job, but after 35 years it had just run it's course and became boring. I had acheived everything I had hoped to there, some goals many times.

It wouldn't surprise me if I get bored with retirement in which case I'll go back to work, though in an entirely different (less responsibility/stress) line of work. After a year, I'm not bored with retirement though, time will tell...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
2. I do not like working in my "typical" Corporate America middle management job because I feel like I am adding very little value to society. I am slaving away simply to make the top 25-30 execs in my company incredibly wealthy. We are announcing record revenue, record profits and our stock is at an all time high. Meanwhile, we closed down 3 plants this past year and gave everyone a 2% merit increase.
Hmmm...sounds like where we work, except most of us got 1.5% increases.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The trigger to make me look at and decide to retire early is stress from my job. Plus the constant headaches. When I snapped at my wife of 38 years on her birthday just because she asked me how the job was I figured it was time. Then the following Monday I argued big-time with a city inspector which is a big "no-no" in construction.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The trigger to make me look at and decide to retire early is stress from my job. Plus the constant headaches. When I snapped at my wife of 38 years on her birthday just because she asked me how the job was I figured it was time. Then the following Monday I argued big-time with a city inspector which is a big "no-no" in construction.
Congrats on being smart enough to recognize some kind of change was in order, another job/career if not retirement. Life's too short...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

1. Because I'm getting lazy
2. Because I can
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I want to retire so I can decide what my priorities are, not some executives running the company. Probably should have run my own business but never wanted to deal with the risks.

I want to retire so I can enjoy pursuing my hobbies before my health declines. Mom and Dad had health issues that slowed them down in their early seventies, they have been slowed down since and are in their late 80s now. If my health and longevity are similar to theirs, I know there is a window of opportunity to do what I want to and then the window closes.

I don't want to set the alarm anymore. Getting up in the morning is seriously getting rough for the first time in my life. My job is not terrible, but getting so close to the goal is giving me the "itch"!

I am thankful that current health issues are not the reason I am looking to retire.
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Because life is finite and just as you got to do what you wanted to do as a kid (play), you RE in order to have that opportunity again while still able to enjoy it.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The book "The Experience of Retirement" by Robert S. Weiss and David J. Ekerdt (Cornell University Press) is a detailed academic study of 89 people before and after retirement, their feelings and emotions and why they chose the path(s) they did.

What was surprisingly to me most of the people had reasons beyond reaching an age threshold to retire.

Conflicts/lack of appreciation from a new boss.
Friends had left the workplace.
make room for younger people to move up
weren't given responsibilities they had in the past.

and so on. In general though they may have stayed were it not for some undesired event(s).

here's my thoughts on the book and the discussion that followed: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-56039.html

Quote:
They (Weiss and Ekerdt) areacademics and do a fabulous job of categorizing the distribution of emotions and issues both before and after retirement. They interviewed 89 people going through the transition all from middle class backgrounds.

My takeaway from reading the book is that retirees enjoy the freedom of retirement but suffer (some quite a bit) from re-defining themselves and their identity in retirement. Also a number of retirees suffer from social isolation in retirement.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Meanwhile, we closed down 3 plants this past year and gave everyone a 2% merit increase.
I got a 2% decrease in pay. And that continues into the new year so.... My surreptitious and unethical plans to spike my pension with an underserved massive pay increase in the last few years were foiled! Therefore, I might as well retire early.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Like a kid with ADHD, I got bored and stressed out. I didn't like being cooped up all day in a cubicle or a windowless laboratory, I didn't like wasting time in stupid meetings, and I didn't feel like my knowledge and creativity were being challenged anymore. It was time to move on.

I think I chose the wrong career from the get go. Looking back, I was pretty much funneled into it from a pretty early age. Oh well, it worked out anyways.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
Because life is finite and just as you got to do what you wanted to do as a kid (play), you RE in order to have that opportunity again while still able to enjoy it.
I compare my ER to the 6-week time period after I finished my last final exam as a college student and before I began working at my first full-time job after college. That 6-week period, from late May through early July (1985) was a fun time. I traveled locally (NYC area) to visit friends and made a trip to San Diego to visit relatives which was a lot of fun just after my graduation in early June. I had no real responsibilities for several weeks until I had to make arrangements to move into my new apartment just after July 4th.

But my ER has lasted much longer than just 6 weeks. It has been close to 4 years now with no end in sight!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler33 View Post
During busy working life, people fail to do any family interaction and keeping touch with close friends. So sometimes home sickness and family bounding are the important reasons why people retire early. If you retired early then you may come to know recent activity conducted in your community. In case you have resident's association you may want to take active part in them so that people around you may benefit from your own experience.

What you think are there any more reasons for getting people retired early
Retirement had nothing whatsoever to do with family or moving, for me.

I had always worked very long hours, and even as a child I worked long hours and did not have the opportunity to play much at all for reasons I needn't elaborate on right now. When I realized at age 51 that what I really wanted was a chance to relax and do whatever I want to do, for the first time in my life, I decided to cut back on hours and to retire as soon as possible.

And I did! Did I ever mention that I LOVE retirement? Every single moment is just amazing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
gone traveling

Because the alternative was not acceptable to me...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early retirement, retirement