Join Early Retirement Today

Recent Vitamin Study..........
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recent Vitamin Study..........

Rich, I am looking for your thoughts on this. Apparently, a lot of multivitamins have copper in them, which has been found to be toxic I have a bunch of Centrum that shows 2mg of copper in every tablet..........which they now say is way too high?? :P :P

Also, I caught a show on PBS featuring Nicolas Perricone. He was talking about cortisol, and he said that the ingredients in COFFEE cause your body to be unable to burn fat, leading to an overproduction of insulin

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Recent Vitamin Study..........
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Rich, I am looking for your thoughts on this. Apparently, a lot of multivitamins have copper in them, which has been found to be toxic I have a bunch of Centrum that shows 2mg of copper in every tablet..........which they now say is way too high?? :P :P

Also, I caught a show on PBS featuring Nicolas Perricone. He was talking about cortisol, and he said that the ingredients in COFFEE cause your body to be unable to burn fat, leading to an overproduction of insulin
Not to be glib, but water is toxic too in excess. Multivitamins in usual proportions have not been shown to be harmful. Of course, they have not been shown to be helpful either, but that's another issue.

Caffeine is a drug and has predictable physiologic effects, so coffee does stuff to you. In usual quantities is appears to cause no harm in otherwise healthy people.

You will become mad as a hatter if you fret over all ingredients of things you ingest. A balanced diet with low animal fat, lots of fruits and veggies, an occasional cup of coffeee or glass of wine, etc. and sensible selection of minimally processed foods (even organic for selected items) seems to me a sound strategy.

Kind of like diversifying your investments .

P.S. Mad as a hatter: excess mercury in old fashioned hat material led to neurologic illness, hence the expression.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

A balanced diet with low animal fat, lots of fruits and veggies, an occasional cup of coffeee or glass of wine, etc. and sensible selection of minimally processed foods (even organic for selected items) seems to me a sound strategy.

Kind of like diversifying your investments .
Thanks Rich. I've done a fair amount of critical reading on the subject, and when you cut through the sales pitch, it always seems to come down to that. Eat a good variety of sensible foods.

It *is* like diversifying your investments. I love to find parallels.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Chlorophyl is based on copper, which is probably the source in the food. It is in the middle of a pretty strong chelate, so I don't think it is going anywhere soon. If chlorophyl were toxic, we would all be dead after eating spinach.

I wonder about chromium in some supplements. Soluble Cr+6 is carcinogenic. I suspect that the "chromium" in supplements is tied up as tight as the oxide coat on stainless steel and as digestable.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I suspect that the "chromium" in supplements is tied up as tight as the oxide coat on stainless steel and as digestable.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/chromium.asp

What affects chromium levels in the body?

Absorption of chromium from the intestinal tract is low, ranging from less than 0.4% to 2.5% of the amount consumed [19-25], and the remainder is excreted in the feces [1,23]. Enhancing the mineral's absorption are vitamin C (found in fruits and vegetables and their juices) and the B vitamin niacin (found in meats, poultry, fish, and grain products) [26]. Absorbed chromium is stored in the liver, spleen, soft tissue, and bone [27].

The body's chromium content may be reduced under several conditions. Diets high in simple sugars (comprising more than 35% of calories) can increase chromium excretion in the urine [13]. Infection, acute exercise, pregnancy and lactation, and stressful states (such as physical trauma) increase chromium losses and can lead to deficiency, especially if chromium intakes are already low [28-29].

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Soluble Cr+6 is carcinogenic.
Wasn't that the stuff Erin Brockovich fought against in the movie?

Anyhow, I heard Dr Will Clower on a recent podcast. I have no idea if he is a credible source, but he was against most supplements (folic acid for pregnant women is recc, though).

His thought process, which I have heard before and makes sense to me, is the supplement contains only a few of the ingredients out of a whole spectrum in the food we eat. IIRC, his example was that people say carrots are good for you, carrots contain beta-carotene, so beta-carotene supplements are good for you. But, he says, carrots also contain many other components, and isolating just the beta-carotene may not be beneficial at all.

I've also heard that sometimes your body reacts to one of these chemicals, and that reaction also controls how it reacts with chemicals that normally accompany it in normal food. So when you take a supplement, you *might* cause your body to shut down its processing of those other 'companion' components.

Time for breakfast

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote from: Ed_The_Gypsy on Today at 02:06:19 AM
Soluble Cr+6 is carcinogenic.

Wasn't that the stuff Erin Brockovich fought against in the movie?
Never saw the movie. I don't get my science from movies. (I was so desperately disappointed that I couldn't buy the flying sports car that Luke Skywalker had in Star Wars. )

I have been inside cooling towers and am glad they don't use Cr+6 (chromates) anymore. I don't know what it does, but I don't want to find out.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My bad.

Chlorophyll is based on magnesium, not copper.

Don't eat no copper. No. No.

Good thing I don't do this for a living.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to think that multi vitamins where a good insurance against... bad diet or worrying about it. I think it screwed up my system....

I recently changed my mind. I think multi vitamins are a nuisance, create all sorts of problems (including digestive...). I just think why not eat the right stuff from the get-go? No worry about added chemicals. Or the fact that the real potency is really unknown? Or the possible toxicity?

Now if a doctor tells me I have a lack of vitamin X or compund X, that's another story... I will take the one I need.

They sell multis with a million compounds/herbs unknown to most. There is probably only 1ug of each of them if anything.
They sell garlic in a pill ($$$$). Why not eating garlic with pasta (I just did that this week)
Tesy sell licopene in a pill ($$$$). Why not eating tomatoe today?
VitA Apricot, VitB Orange... Yummy...
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova

I recently changed my mind. I think multi vitamins are a nuisance, create all sorts of problems (including digestive...). I just think why not eat the right stuff from the get-go? No worry about added chemicals. Or the fact that the real potency is really unknown? Or the possible toxicity?
Strikes me as a pretty sensible approach. The trick is to reproduce a diet that our bodies have evoled to thrive on: veggies, protein, diverse food groups, low fat balanced by almost continuous exercise. The theory behind multivitamins is that few people accomplish that goal.

Research on the benefits and harms of multivitamins is destined to be ambiguous at best. There are just too many variables to control, the duration required to demonstrate an effect is too long, and compliance is too difficult to monitor realistically.

No answers here, just a cautious approach to supplements and vitamins for most healthy people on a sensible diet.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Strikes me as a pretty sensible approach. The trick is to reproduce a diet that our bodies have evoled to thrive on: veggies, protein, diverse food groups, low fat balanced by almost continuous exercise. The theory behind multivitamins is that few people accomplish that goal.

Research on the benefits and harms of multivitamins is destined to be ambiguous at best. There are just too many variables to control, the duration required to demonstrate an effect is too long, and compliance is too difficult to monitor realistically.

No answers here, just a cautious approach to supplements and vitamins for most healthy people on a sensible diet.
Question is, what is a sensible diet?

And how many in the USA are on a sensible diet?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

A sensible diet is pretty much exactly what nobody eats.

How many? Four people.

And because I have to do it...

KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...irk_scream.jpg

Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I have to do that every time I see one of your posts. My wifes starting to think i'm going batty.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
The trick is to reproduce a diet that our bodies have evoled to thrive on ...
Only trouble with that is that evolution doesn't care what happens to us after
we pass the breeding years.

Quote:
The theory behind multivitamins is that few people accomplish that goal.
And even if they theoretically did, the problem is that food (esp. veggies,
e.g. from CA Central Valley to east coast) is frequently shipped long
distances and loses a good bit of its nutritional value. No to mention
the BS that big agri-business does that puts their profits above all else,
inclduing nutritional value.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

And even if they theoretically did, the problem is that food (esp. veggies,
e.g. from CA Central Valley to east coast) is frequently shipped long
distances and loses a good bit of its nutritional value. No to mention
the BS that big agri-business does that puts their profits above all else,
inclduing nutritional value.
Well.............my sister the food scientist was a big proponent of the frozen veggies, which are often less altered than the fresh stuff, and hence have more nutrition. Other than fresh sweet corn, forzen sweet corn is WAY better than the canned stuff............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
Much research suggests that this is not necessarily true. For example, hunter gatherer groups that have been directly studied are organized in kinship groups. If the mothers can leave children with the grandmothers at least some of the time, they can gather better. And older men can make spearpoints, build huts and do other tasks even after they perhaps could not rundown and kill a large animal.

Not to be overlooked is that humans need to be taught many things, not the least of which is how to parent. Need some elders around for this too.

Ha
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Quote:
Much research suggests that this is not necessarily true. For example, hunter gatherer groups that have been directly studied are organized in kinship groups. If the mothers can leave children with the grandmothers at least some of the time, they can gather better. And older men can make spearpoints, build huts and do other tasks even after they perhaps could not rundown and kill a large animal.

Not to be overlooked is that humans need to be taught many things, not the least of which is how to parent. Need some elders around for this too.

Ha
Ferry intellesting. I guess you're talking about evolution as it applies to societies, as
opposed to individuals. So the societies that eat better foods, and the old ones hang
around longer even after child-bearing years, tend to be more successful. Good point.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote