Join Early Retirement Today
Recurring sinus infections
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Recurring sinus infections

Does or has anyone else struggled with recurrent sinus infections? I get them about every 2 months. I've tried nasal surgery, allergy shots, nasal irrigation, prescription nasal sprays, reducing dairy products and nothing has worked. Has anyone had success with anything else? When I get these , it really knocks me out for several days. Thanks.

David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
David, I'm a fellow sufferer. I've tried everything you mentioned with the exception of allergy shots. No matter what I did I consistently came down with two or three sinus infections every year.

A few years ago I noticed the infections seemed to always show up following yard work in dusty conditions. I began wearing a dust mask whenever I mow or cut brush and, knock on wood, have reduced my incidence of infections dramatically. I've only had one in the past three years.

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
One of my mottos is, "don't leave home without it, lots and lots of it."

Of course, the "it" is Kleenix.

I don't know what I have, as a child in a cold climate we laughed and called it, "chronic rhinitis." Now, I just associate it with flowers coming into bloom, but so much as a slight change of wind will bring it on. Certain Thai curry dishes do an excellent job of clearing my sinuses.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
I have had (just moderate) sinus trouble on and off throughout my life - - nothing as bad as yours, luckily, at least so far.

Moving to a different part of the country essentially eliminates my sinus problems for a few years, though so far it has not been a permanent cure. When I moved from Texas to Louisiana, my sinus trouble was practically eliminated for 4-5 years though I am having trouble with it again.

For me it also really helps to avoid catching colds when possible, and to stay out of crowds of people that might give me a cold or virus. I think my sinus problems are related to mild allergies or sensitivities. Perhaps in my case, my allergic/sensitivity reactions are more easily triggered when I am sick with a cold or virus. At least, when I am sick my sinuses seem to get infected and then I feel miserable for days to weeks. One of the aspects of retirement that I will enjoy is not having to go to work with a bunch of sneezing, coughing, sick people every day.

This year, my moderate hay fever is getting ridiculous and I might eventually have to seek help for it. My sinuses are driving me nuts, too. Everything is in bloom - - EVERYTHING. The pollen is so thick you can see it all over the cars. Not only that, a person who is always sick moved into the next cubicle at work. She never uses sick leave when she is sick. She saves it to use for "fun days", and when she is sick comes in and coughs and sneezes and does her best to spread her germs everywhere. Oh, goodie.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've suffered from allergies and asthma all my life. When my allergies are under control, I don't have many sinus infections, and vice versa. What has worked pretty well for me is singulair and advair, but YMMV.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote