Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to renew my driver license. Heaven forbid, but they needed to see my actual social security card which no one has seen since I was age 14 and locked it away. Not only that, they wanted to take a photo of me. I was incensed. What is the government doing meddling in my private life and especially my identity?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW I just looked at my SS card, which is a replacement card that is at least 40 years old. Judging from the penmanship on the signature I would guess I signed it in 1970 or so. Have no recollection of why I might have needed to get a replacement. It is just a form on which the ss number and my name have been typed (anybody remember typewriters?)

Across the bottom of the card it says "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES -- NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION". So many entities use the ss number for identification, though. Guess something went wrong.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Can you explain a bit what you mean, Ha?
Rich, I am so glad you asked that question. When I went to the Washington website to clarify my thoughts, I saw that I either was wrong all along, or the law has been changed. Now, only to get a free freeze must one prove ID theft. Also, those => age 65 one can get a free freeze from all the credit bureaus without proving victimization.
Security Freeze Procedures

I don't suppose this would do much to protect fromt the DL problems that Leonidas mentions though.

Ha
Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Rich, I am so glad you asked that question. When I went to the Washington website to clarify my thoughts, I saw that I either was wrong all along, or the law has been changed. Now, only to get a free freeze must one prove ID theft.
Ha,

You aren't mistaken -- the law has indeed been changing in Washington State. In 2005 you had to show actual damage (theft, or personal data stolen) to get a freeze on your credit reports. My husband and I were victims of identify theft before 2005 and debated what to do should we become "eligible" for a credit freeze under the new 2005 laws.

See this 2005 announcement extolling this improvement: Credit Report Security Freeze Can Help Identity Theft Victims. Further improvements which you described in your email were enacted in subsequent years (2008 I think).

--Linney
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

When asked at a physician's office for a copy of my ID I always ask for a photo copy of the Physician's medical and drivers license for my malpractice files

Solves a lot of problems
Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
Ha,

You aren't mistaken -- the law has indeed been changing in Washington State. In 2005 you had to show actual damage (theft, or personal data stolen) to get a freeze on your credit reports. My husband and I were victims of identify theft before 2005 and debated what to do should we become "eligible" for a credit freeze under the new 2005 laws.

See this 2005 announcement extolling this improvement: Credit Report Security Freeze Can Help Identity Theft Victims. Further improvements which you described in your email were enacted in subsequent years (2008 I think).

--Linney
Thanks, Linney. I will research this further and may do it. Nothing I hate quite as much as being victimized. Goes back a long way, in my life and also the lives of my hillbilly ancestors.

Ha
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I called someone in the financial fraud division at my old employer and got the scoop. In a word, from the pros - we're all "f***ed". I really want to know how a rule that says identification must be checked turns into a policy of keeping copies of identification documents. .....
If the rule says ID must be checked how does the doctor's office prove they were doing so to some LEO who asks for proof? What carries more weight - a statement from Rhonda the Receptionist attesting to her constant checking, assuming she didn't quit and move to Rwanda six years ago, or a copy of Leo the patient's DL. Aren't you the guy who mentioned that scraps of paper carry great weight evidence-wise?

Maybe video of all patients checking in and showing ID, but too low-res to show the ID specifics...

I just go along, but my gal is more the rabble rouser and, says, one, that she hates rules, and two, that it all comes down to too many people, or perception of too many if you wish to cavail.
Medical Historian Examines NIMH Experiments in Crowding - The NIH Record -July 25, 2008
Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Leo asked why the copying when just looking will satisfy the law. The reason is simple, they want to be able to prove they looked. When I last did a bank financing transaction it copied the licenses for their file. The lenders said that the compliance department required it.

The law needs work, it is silly to have it apply to this kind of credit. Personally, if I was a doctors office I would have a policy to check the license and have a little box in my patient's file showing it was checked.

I am thinking about a freeze on my credit but I'd have to pay a fee. Most states now allow a freeze to anyone, but fees are often charged if there was no ID theft.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If the rule says ID must be checked how does the doctor's office prove they were doing so to some LEO who asks for proof? What carries more weight - a statement from Rhonda the Receptionist attesting to her constant checking, assuming she didn't quit and move to Rwanda six years ago, or a copy of Leo the patient's DL. Aren't you the guy who mentioned that scraps of paper carry great weight evidence-wise?

Maybe video of all patients checking in and showing ID, but too low-res to show the ID specifics...
Without re-digging for the law again, what is says in summary is that credit institutions are required to have procedures in place to look for indicators (red flags) of identity theft. It does go into detail about what kind of procedures they consider adequate. If I remember correctly it was to have new patients show their identification, insurance card, and then compare the photo to the person and the names and address on the cards to what is given by the patient. If the patient supplies an address that is different they should be asked to bring something like a utility bill that has the correct name with the new address. They should also look for obvious signs of alteration to the identity documents.

Recently I went to the endodontist and a maxillofacial surgeon, and had to show my ID at both places. They looked at my DL and then used a webcam to take my photo and attach it to my file. They did not scan my DL. Every time they pull up my file there will be my smiling face beaming back at them. ID easily checked at every visit by comparing me to the photo.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #30

I think the main reason for the checking and photocopying of DL, the taking of photos for the file, is to curtail insurance fraud. Apparently is not unheard of for uninsured or underinsured people to "borrow" cards from friends and family and receive medical goods and services in this way. Medical offices that don't know you likely would be liable in some way for this fraud if they do not verify identity. I have been told when opening a new bank account that the reason for photocopying the DL is a homeland security reg.