Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had a couple of mohs and they're no fun either. They take a whole day almost and if you have a high deductible they are quite expensive. In the range of $2000 each for me. If it's only one spot I'd definitely go for the cream. Also you'll be wearing a bandage with the mohs for a couple weeks anyway. The one good thing about the mohs is that you'll be sure the BCC is gone. These things can disappear on top but still be growing quite large underneath.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences. I am leaning toward using the cream.
gailwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

So, I am blonde, blue eyes and fair skin... and grew up in the Arizona Sun. I have lots of skin damage and am always having the actinic keratosis spots frozen off my face and arms.

I have done some cream on my face back in 2010. Mostly on my forehead; temples to hair line. Lots of redness and took 4 weeks.

Last Friday I had the blue light therapy on my entire face. They first scrub my face with acetone. Yea, that felt good. Then they apply a pain killer lotion to my face and I wait 40 minutes. Then they the apply the special lotion and I wait 15 minutes.

Then I lay back on a chair, have my eyes covered and sealed, and place my head in a box. I endure 16 minutes of UV treatment. Significant heat sensation and some pain around the lips.

I have experienced the red, painful and peeling skin for nearly a week. The most affected areas are the areas I did not previously treat with the cream; temples to the chin. Feels like a very bad sun burn.

The point of this treatment is to get a comprehensive treatment over the entire face and have the whole recovery completed in about a week.

I don't have pricing yet. The cream I used years ago cost $200 to treat only my forehead. I think this blue light treatment is going to cost somewhere around $600 and they want me to do it twice.

Given the amount of redness on my cheeks, I will be doing this treatment again sometime in the fall.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
I've had a couple of mohs and they're no fun either. They take a whole day almost and if you have a high deductible they are quite expensive. In the range of $2000 each for me. If it's only one spot I'd definitely go for the cream. Also you'll be wearing a bandage with the mohs for a couple weeks anyway. The one good thing about the mohs is that you'll be sure the BCC is gone. These things can disappear on top but still be growing quite large underneath.
My friend who had the MOHS surgery also said it took 8 hours. They would remove a bit, send it for biopsy, wait for the results, then go back in and remove more until the results came back clean. That sounds pretty miserable.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

A side comment about flourouracil cream - don't leave it out where kids or pets can get to it. I read a recent report of a dog who died after chewing up a tube that had been left out.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
A side comment about flourouracil cream - don't leave it out where kids or pets can get to it. I read a recent report of a dog who died after chewing up a tube that had been left out.
+1

Good advice for all meds.

I remember being at a vet's office when a lady came in after giving Tylenol to her cat. Tylenol and cats don't get along, it's poison to them.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #67

Quote:
My friend who had the MOHS surgery also said it took 8 hours. They would remove a bit, send it for biopsy, wait for the results, then go back in and remove more until the results came back clean. That sounds pretty miserable.
My experience was that it took about 2 hours, but they did get it all with the first procedure. Biopsy of margins was clear so I went home right away. Of course, YMMV.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
My experience was that it took about 2 hours, but they did get it all with the first procedure. Biopsy of margins was clear so I went home right away. Of course, YMMV.
Same for me, less than half a day total. I had a spot on my cheek that the Dr cut out, sort of elongated football shape and then pulled back together. I do still have a slight scar from the incision, but since I worked as an engineer, the scar is a non-issue for me.

My melanoma scar on my back is a big divot that is definitely not so subtle. But it beats having the cancer. Being on my back it does not really bother me since I can't see it and it does not cause any discomfort.

Just went to dermatologist today, took off three spots to check. Results to find out in a week or so.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Same for me, less than half a day total. I had a spot on my cheek that the Dr cut out, sort of elongated football shape and then pulled back together. I do still have a slight scar from the incision, but since I worked as an engineer, the scar is a non-issue for me.

My melanoma scar on my back is a big divot that is definitely not so subtle. But it beats having the cancer. Being on my back it does not really bother me since I can't see it and it does not cause any discomfort.

Just went to dermatologist today, took off three spots to check. Results to find out in a week or so.
Also have a melanoma scar (4 inch) on my back. Thankfully, they caught it early, as the doctor told me that untreated melanoma can only lead to an eventual death.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Also have a melanoma scar (4 inch) on my back. Thankfully, they caught it early, as the doctor told me that untreated melanoma can only lead to an eventual death.
As does everything else. Eventually.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
I just had a biopsy which turned out to be a basal cell. It's on the very tip of my nose. My doctor gave me a choice of fluorouracil cream or MOHS surgery. I opted for the cream, but I admit I'm a little freaked out by the descriptions of how awful the spot will look during treatment. I haven't picked up my prescription yet, and I'm seriously wondering if I should just go ahead and have the MOHS.

FWItsWorth. My husband did both therapies. He had the flourouracil cream after having mohs surgery and a new spot grew into a pea sized lump during the treatment due to the cream. Then he had to have more mohs surgery on the nose. They stretched the skin and did as best they could.
The doctor said sometimes the cream does that. I wondered why they would prescribe a med that causes the cancer to grow uncontrollably. Today, 10 years later, the same area is now bleeding and flaking again. Time to go back to the doc.
Might have to cut out more significantly this time.
This was our experience. YMMV.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:07 AM   #72

I'm very fair skinned and have had everything under the sun but Melanoma so far. I see the dermatologist at least every 6 months and often 4X a year. This has been going on for the past 20+ years. Each time she burns off at least a dozen spots on my face and scalp. I have also had 4 Mohs surgeries and 3 other surgeries for some kind of skin cancer.

I also have used a few different versions of flourouracil (10+ times) and a blue light with a chemical treatment (6+ times). You lose track after a while. My experience with all of them has been very unpleasant/painful and only lasts for a few months each time. The flourouracil treatments take about 3-4 weeks and feels like being scalded after the first few days. The Blue light treatment is about 16 minutes after an initial chemical application and a 2 hour wait. It burns for those 16 minutes but they have a cool air hose to blow on my head or face. Then I have to stay indoors in low light for a few days. Both types of treatment make me look like I carry the plague.

This will be ongoing until the bucket is kicked but is better than skin cancer.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote