Reporting "Life Events" to Healthcare.gov

Rpharmer

Dryer sheet aficionado
I recall that one of the mandatory life events to be reported is a change in income. My estimated taxable income for 2014 was simply interest income from CDs plus a calculated Roth conversion amount. My thought is that, since I don't actually do the conversion until December (because by then maybe I'll know whether Missouri is going to expand/reform Medicaid or not) there's no requirement that I report anything now.

I'll simply state what I plan to convert in December 2014 when I re-enroll. I could report the (anticipated) lower amount now, and presumably lower my premiums immediately. But if it can all be taken care of at tax time 2015, in the form of a refund, that's fine with me.

Just to be clear, I wanted to purchase insurance on the exchange with a subsidy, and not be eligible for Medicaid, so I did a higher Roth conversion than was "necessary," given the political uncertainty in Jeff City. My opinion is that I can probably now just plan on a Roth conversion to make my income 100% of FPL, not 138%. Politically, I just don't know that for sure -- and who does?

Has anyone out there done a Change of Income reporting, perhaps shedding light on this feature of the ACA? Thanks.

If I understand you correctly I think you'll be okay. Whatever you do and whatever the state does it will all come out in the wash at 2015 tax time. I suppose if you wait until the very last minute your challenge may be convincing the powers that be that your estimate for 2015 is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom