Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Read about this a few days ago in the state newspaper and told DH that I am accompanying him to his next dr appt. to ask questions. (He is fine with that because he says, "I won't remember.") He was put on 20mg of Lisinopril a few months ago for bp that was averaging about 140/90. He eats relatively well and exercises about 5 days a week.

Mine was creeping up also, until about 6 months after retirement, where it now hovers around 120/80. How long that will last....i wonder.

I hated DH being put on the med (his only one), but I figure the MD knew more than I. He (we both) need to lose some lbs. Why that has not happened? We need a new strategy. More salads (yes) and fewer beers ( ummmm).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I might add that the DASH diet has been shown to be as effective as medication in controlling BP. Damn hard diet to follow, though. Losing a few pounds helps a lot, too.
DH was taking medication for high blood pressure. He has a very strong family history of stroke so was particularly motivated to watch his blood pressure. It started going up when he was 60ish, particularly as he added pounds.

Over the last 3 years he has followed Weight Watchers and has lost 65 pounds (he is about 9 pounds from his goal weight now). Anyway, he has been luckly enough that losing weight has entirely normalized his blood pressure and he no longer takes medication.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Read about this a few days ago in the state newspaper and told DH that I am accompanying him to his next dr appt. to ask questions. (He is fine with that because he says, "I won't remember.") He was put on 20mg of Lisinopril a few months ago for bp that was averaging about 140/90. He eats relatively well and exercises about 5 days a week.

Mine was creeping up also, until about 6 months after retirement, where it now hovers around 120/80. How long that will last....i wonder.

I hated DH being put on the med (his only one), but I figure the MD knew more than I. He (we both) need to lose some lbs. Why that has not happened? We need a new strategy. More salads (yes) and fewer beers ( ummmm).
Several of us that post here have had success lowering weight and also lowering BP by eating more "real food" and less processed food. It ends up being a lower-carb diet, because you eat fewer grain products/baked goods, replacing a lot of those calories with healthy fats. You can eat as many veggies as you want, and moderate amounts of fish, meat, eggs. My wife brews beer, and I am not about to give up drinking beer, but I didn't have to once I changed to eating this way. Here is one good website and book on the type of eating plan I am talking about:

Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet
Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Several of us that post here have had success lowering weight and also lowering BP by eating more "real food" and less processed food. It ends up being a lower-carb diet, because you eat fewer grain products/baked goods, replacing a lot of those calories with healthy fats. You can eat as many veggies as you want, and moderate amounts of fish, meat, eggs.
But, then there's my DH. He has a dramatic decrease in blood pressure (he was on several medications and now is on none) after losing weight. He has lost 65 pounds but had the most dramatic decrease in blood pressure at about the the 50 pound mark.

He doesn't eat lower carb at all. He does avoid when possible eating refined grains. We buy whole wheat bread for the house and he eats brown rice. If we eat out and he buys a sandwich he will eat whole grain bread if they have it and will eat white bread if they don't. He does eat beef. He enjoys fruit (and veggies, but enjoys fruit the most).

But, truthfully, he has eaten that way for a long time. The big change for him has not been what he eats but how much. It is the losing weight that has lowered his blood pressure.

We did just for curiosity try a 30 day trial of no gluten. We are currently on day 29. Neither one of us have noticed feeling any difference by not eating gluten. Well, DH says he does feel different not eating gluten. That is because he feels like he misses bread... We'll add gluten back in after the 30 days and see if we feel any different when we do. But, I suspect we will find that gluten doesn't bother us so we'll go back to eating whole grains.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting articles, especially the one by the European cardiologist. I have heard several doctors say that the use of BP-lowering medications is responsible for the relative dearth of stroke victims these days compared to the past when hospital beds were full of them. Does anyone have data to evaluate that claim?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #26

Lose It or Fit Day can be really helpful for tracking calories in and out. They're free, too!