Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
No such luck, Colorado, but we do the crystal gazing thing almost as well as the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Seriously though, I respect and value allopathic medicine and wouldn't have anything else to deal with acute injury or illness, but for chronic illness and prevention thereof I don't think that ignoring several thousand years of Chinese and Indian medicine is particularly savvy. We're lucky to have such choices.
Kevin I agree with you on this. One of the draws to going to Thailand is the choice of medical care available.

If by chance you are a person whose body doesn’t take well to allopathic medicines and you are prone to side effects, then acupuncture, Chinese herbs, Ayurvedic approaches, massage and so on is a real blessing.

When we visited the Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam, our Vietnamese tour guide explained to us how surgeries were performed underground in the the tunnels themselves using acupuncture to stop the bleeding and ease the pain. They had a full trauma center running there underground with very little antibiotics, morphine or what have you.

Chinaco
Quote:
The fact that the two of them are entering into a marriage would seem to show some commitment. Let's face it... if it were just about sex, a marriage would not have to occur. If they are happy, good for them.

Completely agree. I am mesmerized by the Asian beauties. It’s not hard to see why someone would want to enter into a relationship with them. There are pros and cons to the situation, no doubt.

Best,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think people should lay off Hobo.

Don't be so sure that there are no people who are interested in what he has to say. He is very articulate, and he pointed out the obvious fact that he is making a big commitment- like fathering children with his wife or planning to do so.

What is a man supposed to do if he is 50 and has no children but wants some? Marry a 50 year old US woman and spend years and $100,000 at fertility clinics?
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ha
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I think Hobo has children already? He refers to his 30 year old daughter in this thread.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think Hobo has children already? He refers to his 30 year old daughter in this thread.
Well, not to get too far into this, I just assumed that it was the overall topic that was creating controversy, not just Hobo who as far as I can tell is a very polite poster who has information to share and is not selling anything.

Anyway, having children already doesn't disqualify one from having more. Look at Brangelina!

There is an occasional poster on this board (dOUG) who moved to DR and married a young Dominican and had a child. Prior to this he was a virgin at fatherhood as best I can remember.

Ha
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #45

Just FYI, I'm not on Hobo's case. Just because some women run concurrent boyfriends without telling them doesn't mean that is what everyone does.

As in anything in life, one has to make their own decisions. Having traveled the world for almost 2 decades, we have seen countless older men marry younger locals. Their lives don't necessarily turn into instant bliss, and I respect the fact that they have worked it out one way or another.

People are where they are for lots of reasons - most of which we have no clue. When these December - May romances produce children then the father supports them, raises them, pays for their education, medical and so on, not to mention doing all the family things that these 3rd world families love (and 'require' them) to do.

We talk about when a man marries a local girl, he is actually marrying the whole family. In Thailand, the man is expected to support the grandparents, even to the point of buying a house, some sort of vehicle, pay for operations and so on. It's not like he gets away with something. It's a commitment for sure. It's something he has to consider.

Hey, whatever works.

All the best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Once more, I insist, come to Spain. Our public system of health care and medical services covers most everyone. Plenty of Anglos retiring here.
I'd love to move to Spain, but how does a US citizen do it? Aren't there high income requirements for "retirees" and is there a "retirement visa"? Would US citizens living in Spain as retirees qualify for the public system of health care?
Traveler987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
No sooner did I post this than a friend sent me the link to this article from an Arizona paper:

Mexicare: $250 a year covers it all

It paints an accurate picture of the costs and issues. Needless to say I am following the health care reform debate in the U.S. closely!
Thanks for the link. The article said the following about pre-existing conditions:
Still, the system has flaws: The facilities aren't cutting edge, pre-existing conditions aren't covered for the first two years, and some newer medicines are not free.

Do you know if this mean that pre-existing conditions are indeed covered after two years?
george76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink
No sooner did I post this than a friend sent me the link to this article from an Arizona paper:

Mexicare: $250 a year covers it all

It paints an accurate picture of the costs and issues. Needless to say I am following the health care reform debate in the U.S. closely!

I'm watching the health care debate closely, my self.
I wrote a couple of my Senators this morning.
I came up with some pretty good one liners for them, I think?
I've been seeing people with signs about pulling the plug on granny and such.

So I wrote things like:

Pull the plug on insurance companies.
Pull the plug on the lobbyist.
Pull the plug on any body that does not support serious reform.

I really would like to see some competition from across State lines.
Blue cross has over 80% of the business in my State.
Basically no competition to speak of.
Most of this is with tongue in cheek, but I thought it might get their attention.
Steve

PS. None of these Senators are doing much to support or help in my opinion. I actually am going against the grain with the folks I voted for.
But that vote could change in the up coming elections.
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
There is an extensive discussion of Mexico's voluntary medicare insurance system (IMSS) here, including personal experiences from a couple of US expats:
The Puerto Vallarta Scene Forum • View topic - IMSS info
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler987 View Post
I'd love to move to Spain, but how does a US citizen do it? Aren't there high income requirements for "retirees" and is there a "retirement visa"? Would US citizens living in Spain as retirees qualify for the public system of health care?
Traveler: To my knowledge there´s no specified amount of income required, other than an assurance that the retiree can justify the means needed in case of forceful return to home country. You´ll need a visa. Our public health system can´t be all that hard to obtain if you bear in mind the amount of foreign retirees we have. But I think that you´re not being a national of EEC it´ll all be about reciprocity treaties between our nations.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Abroad for this Pennsylvania girl is a coastal location in some nice place in the USA. My grandparents fled Europe for good reason(oppression)...and they were much smarter than I will ever be. And had more guts than I will ever have. I am never moving to a place where the Stars and Stripes don't fly. I don't care what happens with the economy or politics or whatever. My lot is cast here.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

WDW,

My heart is with yours.

Sadly, we may have to choose between several unpalatable alternatives one day. My wife will not be happy with any one of them but one of us has to be responsible.

Ed
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #53

Hi Group,
I just stumbled across this article. It's in line with the suggestions most of you made. American Retirees Move To Mexico For Health Care | The LA Progressive
Thanks to all that took time to post on this thread,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Abroad for this Pennsylvania girl is a coastal location in some nice place in the USA. My grandparents fled Europe for good reason(oppression)...and they were much smarter than I will ever be. And had more guts than I will ever have. I am never moving to a place where the Stars and Stripes don't fly. I don't care what happens with the economy or politics or whatever. My lot is cast here.
(emphasis mine)
WhoDaresWins, I am with you 150%. Personally I will never move to a country outside the U.S.A.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
(emphasis mine)
WhoDaresWins, I am with you 150%. Personally I will never move to a country outside the U.S.A.
i think both of you are true blooded... however, don't use your brush to paint others a bit jaded because they may disagree with you or have a cause that drives them them to another decision they may not have made otherwise based upon their retirement decision...pm me if you have a major issue with this statement...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote