Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post

So as with most things there are two sides to this story.

I think it makes sense that it depends upon the individual.
... and the job. Still, I am happy to retire early and it extended my life (so I believe).
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... and the job. Still, I am happy to retire early and it extended my life (so I believe).
If nothing else, get rid of the aggravation factor.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

So far, so good...
Retired @53...now 83...
Old 06-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Are you on BP meds?
No meds at all. I think 3 things improved the BP:

1--No work stress
2--Satisfying daily accomplishments
3--Much more exercise.

What ever dropped the BP, I feel great. I used to be able to feel my heart pulsing when at work.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thats great.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

RE definitely reduced stress and improved sleep.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My job was my passion, my hobby, my entertainment, etc. It had been my Dream since I was 5 years old and I had achieved it all. I knew it was messing up my health as I got older and my body responded differently to the constant disruption of circadian rhythm. ( I hear ya' Marko. )

I walked away from a 200k annual raise and a lot of fun. ( And yes, requisite amounts of B.S. too. )

Health is the priority. No amount of money or fun will get it back.

I am certain that had I not done so...I would not be typing this 3 years later.

80 lbs. lighter, not a single pill bottle in this house, haven't seen a Doctor in 8 months and I thank God everyday for the wisdom granted to see things clearly enough to do the unquestionably right thing against all others advice and my own conflicting emotions. Advice which was mostly based on " BUT, think about THE MONEY!" or something equally as shortsighted and based in avarice and lack of common sense.

I mean, I really enjoy Ice Cream also...But, I don't keep eating from the bucket it until it makes me sick enough to die.
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
No meds at all. I think 3 things improved the BP:

1--No work stress
2--Satisfying daily accomplishments
3--Much more exercise.

What ever dropped the BP, I feel great. I used to be able to feel my heart pulsing when at work.
I am 63 and could have written this. I have to go back on statins though after breaking all diets on a recent river cruise. No other maintenance meds.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some of you know that I am a beekeeper. Hard working bees in summer lives about a month vs not so hardworking bees in winter can live up to 6 months. We are not so different than bees after all!

On a serious note, elder friend of mine worked hard and retired at 62 to only live 5 more years before he passed away due to heart attack.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
On a serious note, elder friend of mine worked hard and retired at 62 to only live 5 more years before he passed away due to heart attack.
A coworker of mine at my old company retired at 59 but passed away at 65. He had just gotten married at 56 (for the first time) so he did enjoy some good years in his fairly brief retirement. Good thing he retired early.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Some of you know that I am a beekeeper. Hard working bees in summer lives about a month vs not so hardworking bees in winter can live up to 6 months. We are not so different than bees after all!

+1

DW and I dropped a combined 110 pounds after retirement. My numbers have never been better.

Recently a really great former co-w*rker was riffed at 60. He passed 6 months later. Been obese for many years, like me, and started exercising. Unfortunately he stroked out. RIP.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
BP while working----142/84 average
BP after retiring at 51 now 54, 117/72, heart rate 62.

Lost 10 lbs, and riding bicycle 120 miles/week. Based on this data, retirement should prolong my life.
Very similar experience.

I donate blood products regularly and my BP keeps dropping. I had to ask if their machines were working properly!

Independent readings confirm they are, including my doctor who still uses the old manual method.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Companies cited - Boeing and Lockheed Martin. Been there done that. Before stents and by passes I remember the age 40's and 50's heart attacks when things got chewy. Let alone 60''s.

Hindsight says getting canned/lay off at 50 was a blessing as indicated by the article.

heh heh heh - got my 25 ER years in and hope for some more. Also cheering on SpaceX from the bleacher section.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

This hoax about a study reporting that Boeing and Lockheed Martin retirees leaving their job at 65 only to die 18 months later has been circulating on the Internet forever.

And it reappears on this forum once every few years.

See: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote