Join Early Retirement Today

Retiree Daily Eating Habits ?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retiree Daily Eating Habits ?

A few of the recent threads got me to thinking about how I have changed my eating habits since I retired seven years ago. I have never had a weight problem and pretty much stay right around 180 give or take a few pounds either way. I exercise daily and usually walk two-three miles a day and play golf as well. When I worked I pretty much had three squares a day. Now since I have retired I usually have a decent sized breakfast sometime between nine and eleven in the morning and then eat a moderate sized supper between five and six. Pretty much stay away from a lot of red meat and try to do a good salad a couple times a week. Also enjoy a nice stiff martini about every other day before supper, I read somewhere it helps with digestion.

What are your dily eating habits and challenges, if any ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When I was working, I pretty much skipped breakfast, had a light lunch, and a big supper.

Nowadays, I usually have a light breakfast (cereals, fruits, dairy), a light lunch (salad or sandwich generally), and a decent supper (cooked meal) with a glass of wine. My main challenge is to make time for breakfast and lunch. Even in retirement, I get so busy that it is easy to skip a meal - or two.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The biggest differences are that I can eat/drink whenever I want and I can use the bathroom whenever I want-- instead of between work meetings.

When I was stationed at training commands, my bladder would start sending signals during the last 10 minutes of practically every hour-- when Navy classrooms take their breaks before the next class.

These days I pretty much graze all day and from mostly the same limited menu. I also don't eat dessert after dinner anymore, and I stop eating/drinking by 7 PM. That's cut down on a lot of "entertainment eating".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much eat 3 meals/day a regular times, same as when working.
  • Breakfast with DW about 7:30am - waffles/fruit/nuts/maple syrup OR granola/(soy) milk OR steel-cut oats/fruit/nuts/brown sugar OR scrambled eggs/cheese/crumbled tortilla chips/salsa. English muffin, toast or bagel once or twice a week. 2 cups coffee, no more or less.
  • Lunch around noon - small lunch, either homemade or frozen Amy's, Kashi, Lean Cuisine, Homerun Pizza (local?) or equivalent. Lunch out once/week or less.
  • Dinner around 6pm with DW - something healthy homemade Mon-Fri, dinner out Sat & Sun. List of homemade dinners about 20-30 standards.
  • We eat small portions of chicken, turkey, shrimp, fish or vegetarian (1-2/week) mostly. Small portion of rice, pasta, rarely potatoes. Lots of veggies with every dinner, try to fill up on veggies. No red meat at home, and DW never eats red meat period. I'll have a steak about 6 times/year or a burger about 1-2/month.
  • Drink water most of the day. One soft drink/day or less. DW drinks milk once/day.
  • Might have an apple, piece of fruit or small handful of nuts in the afternoon.
  • One drink after dinner 3-5 times/week; wine, beer (least common choice) or cocktail (rum or scotch). Almost never more than 1 drink w alcohol in a day.
  • We believe in one cheat day/meal (cheeseburger, steak, Mexican combo page, rich Italian) a week (Fit for Life), usually Sat nights.
  • I exercise 5-6 days/week, walking, biking, hiking, resistance/weight training. Usually 30-45 minutes/day.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big difference for me. Before ER, usually have breakfast at work and usually high sodium and fat stuff (like a pie) with free office coffee (with milk). Lunch is again high sodium and fatty stuff with office colleagues - sometimes no veg. Dinner again high sodium oily food outside. And usually biscuits or cakes for late supper with alcohol. I ended up with a high cholesterol level before I ER. Now, I have breakfast at home around 8 am with DH before he goes to work. Bread, fruits and oatmeal with black coffee. Lunch is either at home or outside. If outside, I choose the healthier stuff and make sure I eat my veg. Dinner is usually home-cooked - white meat and fish with lots of veg. I still have my glass of liqour 4 or 5 days a week before I sleep.

And, I exercise everyday now. The effects? I lost 5 lbs this year, still have to test my cholesterol level but my toilet visits are easy jobs! And I sleep better.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm eating a lot healthier in retirement. When I was w*rking, I tried to eat healthy but I know I strayed a lot. Now, I'm reading a lot about proper nutrition and making better choices when grocery shopping and when eating out. I exercise more, I've lost some weight and I feel better than I've felt in a long time.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everyone is so regimented it makes me wonder what we are doing wrong. I guesss just enjoying retirement and our goofy lifestyle. We have no set schedule except for dinner and that is hit or miss proposition. Dinner is always early, like 4-5 PM. Most days, no breakfast-just coffee. Lunch is a maybe. Lately it's been Wendy's for a baked potato, chicken sandwich and diet Coke. If we eat breakfast out, we never do lunch. Sometimes we split a sub at Publix for lunch. In reality, we don't eat the way one should and may pay later for it. Maybe I'm paying now as I'm probably 30 lbs overweight.
This is probably due to my usual couple drinks a day. Gin and tonic about 3PM and a scotch/water in the evening.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We really eat super well in retirement, mainly because I have plenty of time to cook some really nice stuff, and when we go to eat out, we go for something nice. No more having to cram in a quick meal or being in a rush at a restaurant.

Our budget in groceries has steadily increased in retirement because I keep seeking out higher quality ingredients since I know how to treat them (and us) right . My chef skills have been steadily improving in retirement. Because we cook well (DH has his special dishes too), we are pretty picky about what we go out for. No fast food except for good taquerías.

Since Costco opened in town this spring, we have really been enjoying good stuff. Their avocados have been amazing, we eat several a week now. The berries fantastic - $3.49 for a 12 oz flat of Driscoll raspberries. And recently they have been carrying fresh Copper River sockeye salmon fillets for $10.99 a pound! I've been making a pilgrimage every weekend to pick up a 2-3 lb fillet. Just smoked one of them and now I want more!

Regular meals? More or less, although the timing is pretty flexible and depends on what else we are doing. We tend to eat dinner late - usually after 8. Never skip breakfast even though it's super simple. Lunch? (or brunch) whenever.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Everyone is so regimented it makes me wonder what we are doing wrong. I guesss just enjoying retirement and our goofy lifestyle. We have no set schedule except for dinner and that is hit or miss proposition. Dinner is always early, like 4-5 PM. Most days, no breakfast-just coffee. Lunch is a maybe. Lately it's been Wendy's for a baked potato, chicken sandwich and diet Coke. If we eat breakfast out, we never do lunch. Sometimes we split a sub at Publix for lunch. In reality, we don't eat the way one should and may pay later for it. Maybe I'm paying now as I'm probably 30 lbs overweight.
This is probably due to my usual couple drinks a day. Gin and tonic about 3PM and a scotch/water in the evening.
I wouldn't sweat it. If you are satisfied, it likely makes very little difference.

Ha
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We really eat super well in retirement, mainly because I have plenty of time to cook some really nice stuff...
What's your address? I want to make a reservation!
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote