Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Well, it took me three years to decide to go back to work after 29 years of police work, then another two years to find something agreeable. The first year was like being on vacation (we moved to a different state/less congested area) and yeah, I spent a LOT of time on the screened-in back porch enjoying not having to do anything. SIL, a wise nurse, surmised that I was "decompressing". In hindsight, I'd say she was right. The first winter we had a 2.5 foot snowfall and I didn't go any farther than the mailbox for a week, and loved it. Like you, I hate cold weather.

"The Plan" at retirement was that DW and I would both get part time jobs, but around here none of them pay enough to cover commute expenses so there's no point to that. She's gone back to school 15 minutes away to finish a BS degree she stopped working on because of some family issues that demanded her time. She's going slow, just one class per semester, and enjoys having free time to spend with family nearby. I think she adjusted better than me, we both left high-pressure jobs. When the degree is finished in two years she wants to look for a low-impact part time job.

The college catalog just doesn't have anything that interests me much. Don't know why, a lot of people enjoy that. Just not my style I guess.

Then I started to get looking for something to do. For about 20 years I was enthused about radio control airplanes, but the interest waned the last couple of years of years before retirement - I guess I just plateaued with that. The intention was to resume at retirement but the interest just isn't there so I'm selling that stuff off.

Bought a small boat & outboard to try fishing and exploring the river. That's fun but not every day and no way I'm doing that in the winter.

For about a year and a half I was helping a friend build an airplane - Pitts Special - and did a couple of short-term contract jobs in computer forensics. That's out now, my certifications expired and one really has to be full time in that field to stay current. It changes fast.

So I just started the training phase of a job last week, the specific goal in mind being either a travel trailer or another full-size airplane. I had an airplane in my mid-20's. But since I've "been there done that" I suspect the travel trailer will win. So for now I'm working with that goal in mind. The job also has a much lower stress level so I think it'll be easier to go to.

But it sure is nice knowing that I don't HAVE to work if I don't want to!

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i've always been somewhat of a loner in life so joining clubs of some sort wont be very enjoyable,volunteering i never understood as why should i work for nothing.also i dont have unlimited money so constant travel aint gonna happen.
life presents both opportunity & obstacles enough that we can take opportunity to build road blocks or deconstruct obstacles to open new road.

"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #23
Jambo, it seems that another poster was right, you are worried about being bored. So you are a worrier ... that's probably a full time hobby in itself. You're last post on having cabin fever is fairly telling. You may need to get out of the 'northlands' for the winter and get into a warmer climate during this time of the year.

I, like many on this board are relishing retirement (or the thought of it). I am 6 months into it and not even close to being bored ... ever ... even when I don't have anything in particular to do. I have been traveling for a while and one of my favorite passtimes is to go where the locals are and watch the local people (especially the young girls (kinda like the young hot surfer girls that Nords seems to be obssessed pre-occuppied with ).

Best of luck to you. Hope you find you way.
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Some people enjoy working. Nothing wrong with that!

DW has been retired for several months now. She is past the long vacation phase and beginning to consider something to add structured activity. I think it takes a while to adjust.

Her ER can kinda suddenly with an ER offer for the employer so she did not have much prep time... although she was eager to take it.

When she worked, she was in a fairly high pressure work setting. If she decided to work again, it would be a much less stressful (and probably low pay) part-time job. I believe she would do it more for the social interaction than anything else. She might volunteer. I suspect that she would be interested in 2 days a week.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #25
I can't answer for those that are fully retired - I'm just semi. But i found that in resurrecting my old hobbies I now don't have enough time to pursue everything to the degree that I want to. This is mainly due to the internet - I research all of my interests online and I'm always finding new things to explore. Some people find it easy to escape boredom. Good luck in your adventure!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
.....I research all of my interests online and I'm always finding new things to explore.
Same here.....I'm always looking up something or the other. Doing Google searches and reading Wikipedia takes up quite a bit of time in the evenings and on gray days.

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote