Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Lunch on a workday is usually so rushed, I eat the high-fat take-out stuff, love shrimp-meat sandwiches with mayo, and even Chinese food can be dangerous. Usually after a few days off I'm into the cookbooks making healthier choices. I'm really looking forward to that part of retirement--a cooking hobby.

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Lunch on a workday is usually so rushed, I eat the high-fat take-out stuff, love shrimp-meat sandwiches with mayo, and even Chinese food can be dangerous. Usually after a few days off I'm into the cookbooks making healthier choices. I'm really looking forward to that part of retirement--a cooking hobby.
Agh, that high fat take-out stuff will kill you! Can you take your lunch and eat at your desk? There are a lot of healthier options that don't require much preparation - - for example maybe a salad and boiled shrimp or a boiled egg with maybe some fruit for dessert.

Of course, your keyboard will suffer if you eat over it, but then it's really THEIR keyboard anyway!

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I used to joke with an old girlfriend that I should put a couple of keyboards and monitors on the dinner table so we'd feel a little bit more "at home" over our meals.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Exercise is really important. Last night I was introduced to Putin, pronounced (and possibly spelled PUTEEN). I had been to a swing dance with lot of college age and early 20s people. A huge workout; no one sat down for 4 hours. Afterward I followed them next door to a late night deli that served this stuff. Fries with gravy, topped with cheese curds! Apparently it's the delicacy with these Vancouverites and Bellinghamers who come down for dancing. The Deli added it to the menu just to accommodate them.

All these people were slim, slim, slim!

As you said, they were "college age and early 20s". We all remember, at least I do, that when we were young we didn't have to exercise to keep the weight off. I could eat ice cream any time and still remain slender. These days , age 58, I can exercise until exhausted every day but if I don't cut out the fattening foods I will gain weight. The middle aged body does not process junky foods very well at all. I have been reading about how the liver plays into this. Apparently, at middle age the liver can be close to worn out from detoxing all of the high fat, junky American foods. If the liver is full of fat, it has difficult processing more fat, hence dramatic weight gain. That's just one nutritional theory which supports the widespread admonition to change our diets, eat more fresh fruits and veges and get rid of processed food.
Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets
I think once you find things that you enjoy doing (away from the kitchen) you'll be fine...

What about walking, gardening, bowling, and when you are in the kitchen - cook up some healthy recipes!!!! Enjoy time away from work...
Retire to Asia - Save and Live like Royalty
brookiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
When you retire, you should have alot more time for exercise, so eating should not be a problem.

We eat out alot -- several times a week, but we rarely, if ever, eat more than half of what is put in front of us. We always take a to-go box or two home with us. Imagine taking half a Chili's hamburger home for next day's lunch! Also, they will serve steamed/sauteed veggies instead of fries if you like.
careful, a lot of restaurants like to toss their steamed veggies in butter...

my sis works at a chili's like chain restaurant and says they have a giant industrial slab of butter in the back - they butter the buns BEFORE the mayo!!! you can only view their calorie/fat counts online, but even then they show you what it is "per serving" and you may have 2-2.5 servings on your plate!

i looked once at the chart online (and turned away in horror) one burger was like over 1200 calories and 90 million grams of fat (ok, take out the million)...
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Now that I am ERd I eat much better than when I was working regularly. Now I have time to eat regularly a low carb, low calorie diet. I work out at least 60 minutes each day in the AM. I find that eating at regular time and sane portions makes life much easier to take on.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote