Retirement and Health

Travelwanted

Recycles dryer sheets
I think we have all seen articles trying to claim ER was somehow associated with shorter lifespans. I think that is biased toward the unfortunate folks who got sick at young ages.

This article backs what we already knew:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/science-confirms-retirement-good-health-180100934.html

"The study found strong evidence that retirement can improve physical and mental health and life satisfaction -- although it might take a few years for the health benefits to show."

There seems to be two kinds of people: one sees a career as defining his/her life, and the other sees it as hindering his/her life.

The former is likely to dislike retirement, while the latter is likely to thrive in it (and post on boards like this one.)

I'm squarely in the latter camp, which should surprise no one around here.

There seems to be two kinds of people: one sees a career as defining his/her life, and the other sees it as hindering his/her life.

The former is likely to dislike retirement, while the latter is likely to thrive in it (and post on boards like this one.)

I'm squarely in the latter camp, which should surprise no one around here.

Obviously, too simple a view. Any statement that starts with "there are two kinds of people in the world" lacks credibility. People can change and often do.

Having said that, I was in the first camp, then retired at 56. After a period of adjustment, I am firmly in second camp. In my case health has improved: sleep better, workout more, eat better. This resulted in losing weight and getting in great shape. Motto in retirement is "burn calories".

Obviously, too simple a view. Any statement that starts with "there are two kinds of people in the world" lacks credibility.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count to three and those that can't.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count to three and those that can't.

Also: There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't :LOL:

Obviously, too simple a view. Any statement that starts with "there are two kinds of people in the world" lacks credibility. People can change and often do.

Having said that, I was in the first camp, then retired at 56. After a period of adjustment, I am firmly in second camp. In my case health has improved: sleep better, workout more, eat better. This resulted in losing weight and getting in great shape. Motto in retirement is "burn calories".

Actually I believe Onward is correct. There are indeed two kinds of people in the world, and I think you have actually proved it. There are those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't. :angel:

Our health has improved substantially since early retirement.

Since retiring we have both lost weight, for me it has been 45 lbs. We are both now within single digits of our recommended weight. We do not eat any prepared foods and very few fried foods. Mostly fresh fruit, salad,and lean meats/fish broiled or barbequed. We have cut out much of the fats-butter, etc. A 12 pack of Coke has lasted 2 years-mostly for visitors. Since cutting out the junk and the prepared foods we can now taste the chemicals/preservatives in them when we try a sample.

We feel so much better. We enjoy travel more. So much easier to sit in a plane when you are not overweight. DW no longer needs her high blood pressure tabs. We now get plenty of exercise.

Looking back, I spend too much time on our financial well being and not enough time on my physical well being. Making up for it now...hope that it is not too late.

In preparation for retirement DW and I are doing everything to get in as good physical health as possible. I asked my Dr during my recent physical if I was healthy enough to retire. Hopefully I'll knock off another 20 lb and have my marginal test numbers well within the normal range. DW who is diabetic has been able to get her A1c down to normal with very minimal meds after trying some pretty serious drugs. The goal is to get as healthy as possible in the next few months so that retirement will be an enjoyable new adventure.

I'm one of the types, I think. As someone here says "numbers is hard" :cool:
I have definitely gotten healthier since retirement lost over 35 lbs and got my blood pressure down to 117/78. Way happier and for the most part stress free, I tend to be a worrier. Working out at the gym, kayaking and skiing keep me fit. My eating habits are way better - all around better life style.
If I had been working the last 9 years instead of ERing....I'm sure I would be in way worse shape.

The two kinds of people:

Those who divide people into two kinds, and those who don't.
:cool:

OK. Got it. I think splitting the world into two groups can lead to simplistic analysis. That's all. Makes for good bar talk though.

Agree with Danmar's first post. I prefer life with "low levels of abstraction" TM Ha.

We had a decision-tree tool that enabled all complex solutions be reduced to allocating 10 points between the choices in twos. It worked amazingly well for reducing a complex set of choices into a prioritized list with weightings. It worked well to gain buy-in to the final choices among many opposing parties.

If you had 12 choices, you could easily develop a list of the top three that got resources immediately. I used it with a group of banks, all of whom had differing priorities, to establish the common development priorities for the year.

Back
Top Bottom