Retirement personality type

The right versus left handed is just another odd trait. There are more left-handed folks here than in the normal population, IIRC. Plus I like being left-handed 'cause it makes me more like unclemick...heh heh heh

Has anyone done their Enneagram?

Enneagram Institute: Enneagram Testing & Training

Based on the names of the "9 Types," I was sure I'd turn out to be a 4 or an 8. Much to my surprise, I am a 6 with strong 1 and 9 traits. Surprisingly, I see myself in those descriptions.

Of course, I'm also a Sagittarius. Surprisingly accurate there, too :rolleyes:
Quiz Result: What does your Zodiac sign mean?(really detailed) | Get More Quizzes at Quizilla

"If your sun sign is Sagittarius, you are a person with great integrity, going your own way, rarely following others - nor do you want others to follow you. You do your own thing. Freedom is a key word for Sagittarius. You need to be independent, even though that might lead to limited resources and other difficulties. To you, freedom is a wealth surpassing that of money. Like the archer, you aim far. Your goals are distant, some would say unobtainable, but thereby they are also interesting, not to say spectacular - certainly to you. Only things that seem to be out of reach are worth reaching for.

"If the sun is in the middle of Sagittarius, you guard your integrity and independence against any intrusion, without making much noise about it. You are hard to catch, although you don't seem to be running. "

I am an INFJ, "empathic". Yep, pretty much me in a nutshell!

SG, that is my M-B "type," as well. Although I can just as easily turn out ENFP. It all starts to resemble horoscopes after a while [Amethyst raises a skeptical eyebrow, winks and grins]

Anybody stopped to consider that the folks most likely to hang around the Internet, tend to be people who like computers and computing? That, in itself, could be behind the apparent preponderance of engineers and INTJs on this forum.

INTP, strongly right handed. Like Donheff, I can't ever remember what I am on these tests. (But of course I do love my pajamas so maybe I have a little PJ there :) )

INTP, strongly right handed. Like Donheff, I can't ever remember what I am on these tests. (But of course I do love my pajamas so maybe I have a little PJ there :) )

I am ISTP and P stands for PJ's . I just got some new ones from Lands End and they are great .

There are more Ps here than I thought. I scored at the very top of the spectrum for J (which is judging) with not even a whisker of P to my name.

This is why I am spending a lot of time snorting in derision of the so-called "Critical Thinking" class I am taking right now for my degree program. As the boss says "what, you aren't already critical enough?"

Oh, and Capricorn, baby, all the way! I am totally a goat. My description reads something like: Capricorns like giving advice, solving problems, and managing people. Or as I like to call it--Freelance nagger.

Amethyst, my Enneagram is 9 with a 1 wing. Thought I'd be a 5. That stuff is kind of interesting, though I'm not into the part that gets mystical.

Oh, and Capricorn, baby, all the way! I am totally a goat. My description reads something like: Capricorns like giving advice, solving problems, and managing people. Or as I like to call it--Freelance nagger.

That's pretty funny. I'm a Capricorn, too.

Nearly ambidextrous, too lazy to find out what other types apply. Can do most things left or right except writing, it is atrocious with both hands, hence I write with block letters.
Always practice all Jujutsu moves both left and righthanded.

DW likes TP to roll off the top. So that is how it is.

"

I am on the cusp of Aquarius and Capricorn so I am a free spirited nagger !

INTJ, right handed, TP from the top, Leo. Hear me roar! :LOL:

ISTJ as well. From reading the online descriptions at least, they describes me to a T.

Was ISTJ while w*rking (wonder if that has changed?)
Very right handed
TP from the top
Age 13 is about when I started retreating into myself and into books (mainly science fiction and literary classics)

What she said, but substitute "adventure stories" for "literary classics".

Except I'm sometimes borderline ESTJ, depending on my mood at the time. I suppose that accounts for my enjoyment of fast machines like acrobatic airplanes and motorcycles.

DW is also ISTJ. Perhaps that's why disagreements are so rare, and never serious.

Took the test at w*rk back in 1989 or so, ESTJ all the way. :D
Dominant lefthanded, but pretty ambidextrous due to necessity of using right hand primarily while left hand was recovering from carpal tunnel surgery. I even taught myself to write with my right hand.

Except I'm sometimes borderline ESTJ, depending on my mood at the time.
I always came out ESTJ whenever we took the full MBTI at work, but recently I took an online junior version and came out ISTJ. Wondered if I was changing in retirement, but maybe it was my mood. Not sure I want to take the full MBTI again just to find out.

Never heard of these personality types until I saw them mentioned in this forum. Apparently, many public workers take these tests at work. Why? Is it a requirement? What they gonna do to you if you are a wrong type? What are they looking for?

Never heard of these personality types until I saw them mentioned in this forum. Apparently, many public workers take these tests at work. Why? Is it a requirement? What they gonna do to you if you are a wrong type? What are they looking for?

These are perceptive questions. I've taken it 3 times at work; the first time, in a 2-day session. The reason given was "to help everyone to understand that we are all different, and to provide us with strategies for getting along and working together effectively." Far more useful in my working life, was a Dale Carnegie course I purchased on audio tapes about 20 years ago.

So much hype surrounded the first time I took MBTI, that I was chagrined to find that the results were ignored once the class was over. The exception was that some people like to use the results to justify the way they or others behave, e.g. "I'm an E, of course I like to dominate conversations," "He's an I, that's why he won't look you in the eye when talking to you," or "Messy desk - must be a P, huh?"

Another occasion for the test, plus a full day's group-grope, was that the person in charge had received complaints that people in his section weren't getting along. Naturally, he assumed that something must be wrong with us, although he himself was causing the contention, by giving 2 highly competitive people the same project to lead, and always talking to them separately about the assignment.

According to what I have read, the test was invented by two people with no psychological training, but with terrific marketing skills. The test has many staunch adherents. When I hear someone defend MBTI, it is often as if they have invested something of themselves into their 4-letter ID. Based on my observation, people who always get the same results tend to seem happier about it than those who get different results each time.

I've never formally taken it, just the online versions, and saw one in a book. For me, it just helps to understand why some people do the (apparently) strange things that they do.

As in, why would someone be excited about a 30% off sale, then pay six or twelve months of credit card interest on the charges, thereby negating any "savings" from buying on sale? Behavior like that is absolutely incomprehensible to me, but I see one SIL do that all the time. Or why are some people, even those with good educations, utterly incapable of saving money?

Like the couple we know who are $700k in debt. She's a recently retired math teacher, which means (where she worked) she must have at least a MS in mathematics. Yet at one point in the past year, unable to get credit anywhere else, she obtained a car title loan to finance going on a trip. I just don't get it.:confused:

In contrast, DW and I routinely save money for what we want, and I haven't paid a dime in credit card interest charges since my ex moved out, and the only time DW paid cc interest charges was when she was in her 20's, and that was for a transmission repair on her car, which she paid off in three months.

I've never formally taken it, just the online versions, and saw one in a book. For me, it just helps to understand why some people do the (apparently) strange things that they do.

As in, why would someone be excited about a 30% off sale, then pay six or twelve months of credit card interest on the charges, thereby negating any "savings" from buying on sale? Behavior like that is absolutely incomprehensible to me, but I see one SIL do that all the time. Or why are some people, even those with good educations, utterly incapable of saving money?

In contrast, DW and I routinely save money for what we want, and I haven't paid a dime in credit card interest charges since my ex moved out, and the only time DW paid cc interest charges was when she was in her 20's, and that was for a transmission repair on her car, which she paid off in three months.

AFAIK, MBTI wasn't designed to tell ants from grasshoppers.

My agency made managers take 40+ hours of "management" training each year. I must have taken the MBTI every other year as part of one class or another. The idea was to better understand your personality and how it affected your management style.

I'm not sure how accurate the MBTI is, or how useful it is. I think I already knew I had a personality that liked to be "in-charge" and "directing" before I learned I was an ESTJ. Apparently the folks who worked for me knew I could be characterized as "The Enforcer / Supervisor / Guardian" when they took to calling me "El Chicote" - Spanish for "The Whip".

AFAIK, MBTI wasn't designed to tell ants from grasshoppers.

Probably not, but it may give insight to the way people spend their money. I have spent some money, but for certain things for my own pleasure but not to impress, ie. not conspicuous consumption. On the other hand, I have several female relatives who like to spend as much money as a new car on jewelry. I am glad my wife is not one. I am actually not a very perceptive person. I am not sure what type my wife is. I will try to get her to take a simple test, and compare her result to my guess to see if I understand my wife of 29 years.

My agency made managers take 40+ hours of "management" training each year. I must have taken the MBTI every other year as part of one class or another. The idea was to better understand your personality and how it affected your management style.

I'm not sure how accurate the MBTI is, or how useful it is. I think I already knew I had a personality that liked to be "in-charge" and "directing" before I learned I was an ESTJ. Apparently the folks who worked for me knew I could be characterized as "The Enforcer / Supervisor / Guardian" when they took to calling me "El Chicote" - Spanish for "The Whip".

Then it works in your case. Yeah, I looked up ESTJ type and it appeared to fit you, from what little I read from you in this forum. Works in my case too.

Back
Top Bottom