Join Early Retirement Today

Rhinocort Aqua and Pulmicort cost.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rhinocort Aqua and Pulmicort cost.

Physician prescribed these me medications for DW because she was having a fairly severe allergy problem (wheezing and labored breathing) a couple of years ago. I think they are normally for asthma. The Rhinocort Aqua is a nose spray. The Pulmicort is a powder that is inhaled via an applicator.

Anyway, they are quite expensive. There is not a generic version available. Is anyone aware of a generic alternative?

We are looking for ways to trim the prescription drug bill.

We are going to move our prescriptions to WalMart. It looks like the generics there are about $4. That is less than the copay with our insurance for a generic in most cases.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

My wife uses advair and flonase. We're buying them from costco and their prices are a lot better than most of the pharmacies, including walmart. Consumer reports did a survey using (IIRC) a five drug "basket" of common drugs. Costco's basket cost roughly substantially less than any of he other provider...about half the nearest competitor.

You can go to costco's web site and see prices for any prescription drug.

I'm not a doctor and dont even play one on tv...and dang...didnt even stay at a holiday inn express...but I think most of the walmart $4 generics are older, less expensive drugs in the first place. You might get some of the "old school" asthma/allergy drugs. My wife found those pretty ineffective throughout her earlier life with asthma/allergies.

She's been problem free using the advair/flonase combination...which are derived from the same drug, one inhaled and the other a nasal spray.

Costco shows rhinocort (9 bottles) for $89 and pulmicort (60 day supply) for $168. I believe we're paying around $45 for flonase and $145 for advair.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about rhinocort, but Flonase went generic not many months ago so now I can get a bottle for the generic price. The generic name is Fluticasone. Target and Walmart sell a number of generics for $4. I don't recall if it is on the list as my copay price is $20 for a 90 day supply.

The attached formulary gives Flonase/Fluticasone as a generic alternative to Rhinocort

http://www.paramounthealthcare.com/d...tivesChart.pdf

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We're getting the generic flonase, thats the price I quoted...real flonase costs twice as much.

Walmart $4 drug list: http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion...icdruglist.pdf No inhaled steroids that I can find.

Looks like loratadine (which is available over the counter) and albuterol are all they have for allergies/asthma.

Seems that walmart and sams club no longer let you look up drug prices online...they used to have that...

However for comparison purposes, walgreens charges $20 more for both advair and generic flonase than costco.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the pulmicort inhalor. Each lasts 100 days. I get mine from walgreens with United Health Care/Medco coverage ... for $10 per 100 days. There is to my knowledge no generic equivalent...and Medco has not recommended any alternative.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Fluticasone propionate

Fluticasone propionate is the current generic name for Flonase. This is a suspension formulation, anti-inflammaotry steroid, and is sold by Roxane and Par among others. This is the same active ingrediant as in Flovent, an asthma medication. Fluticasone propionate is best absorbed in two puffs in each nostril (short trime between each puff). There were three strengths of Flonase (I don't know if this is true for the generics). You might be able to use a higher dose less frequently to save money. Remember to use it every day at least during allergy season as it takes time to work.

Bultacoman
A Flovent and Flonase (fluticasone propionate) user longer than I can remember
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the replies. I informed DW. She is checking with the doctor on the flonase generic.

It looks like there is not a replacement for Pulmicort. Was there no such drug for this situation (that is an alternative generic) or is Pulmicort a completely new class of drug?