Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was little, yogurt was considered a "hippie health food" and no one in my family would touch it because it smelled and tasted sour.

When I was a teen, yogurt was considered "diet food" for women only, right up there with cottage cheese. Something men wouldn't eat, and kids didn't like. There was only really one brand, Dannon, with the fruit preserves on the bottom that you had to stir up.

Fast forward a few years, and suddenly sweetened, flavored yogurt is a major food for everybody, especially kids. I dislike most of it; way too sweet for my taste. The local grocery store chain has its own brand of genuinely "plain" yogurt which is actually quite good, with fruit cut up into it.

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Fat Head » Two Things That Ought To Change Everything

Quote:
Two items have appeared the news lately that ought to change what most people think they know about diets and health – that is, if most people were aware of the news items.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy the current crop of Greek yogurt products in part because they are high in protein. My current favorite, Yoplait, happens to have 0 fat, but I don't buy it for that reason. I buy it because I like the way it tastes especially with dry roasted Almonds. It is a great food pairing, flavor wise, IMHO, and there is plenty of fat in those expensive (Emerald) almonds.

On the fat front, I've read in my exercise books that our bodies do not metabolize dietary fat for immediate energy (glycogen), so all dietary fat gets stored away. Also, to "burn" fat to fuel the body requires oxygen, hence the term "aerobic exercise." That is something that I misunderstood for a long time always thinking that I should be out of breath when doing aerobics.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

This has been an interesting thread. I appreciate all the article links - I've been reading quite a few of them.

I am off dairy for the time being. It may be at the root of some of my autoimmune problems. Amazingly, I'm a lot less stiff/sore after exercise, and it's been a while since I've experienced knee pain even though I've been pretty active. I never thought about diet......
Old 07-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Diet is the single most important thing anyone can improve/change to improve their health.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Diet is the single most important thing anyone can improve/change to improve their health.
Yes but knowing WHAT to do is quite difficult.

Western doctors are not trained to treat their patients through diet.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes but knowing WHAT to do is quite difficult.
I see so many people who don't really understand diet/food.

One family member went on a low carb diet and frankly had no idea what a carbohydrate was. They just read a book that said stop eating certain foods. They though fries were OK - "fries are loaded with fat, right". sigh

These seem to be the same folks who think they planted a special variety of tree called a "shade tree" in their yard. Yes, that was a "pin oak", it's quite different from a crab apple. sigh

I guess many (city) folks have simply lost touch with the natural world around them (including food).
Old 07-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I see so many people who don't really understand diet/food.

One family member went on a low carb diet and frankly had no idea what a carbohydrate was. They just read a book that said stop eating certain foods. They though fries were OK - "fries are loaded with fat, right". sigh

These seem to be the same folks who think they planted a special variety of tree called a "shade tree" in their yard. Yes, that was a "pin oak", it's quite different from a crab apple. sigh

I guess many (city) folks have simply lost touch with the natural world around them (including food).
Your thesis seem to be that living in the country confers an understanding of human nutrition, or am I missing your point?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Your thesis seem to be that living in the country confers an understanding of human nutrition, or am I missing your point?
Probably not a better understanding of nutrition, but a better understanding of where food comes from; i.e. not from a package...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

And then there's this...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0714124901.htm

Quote:
Summary: A new study has found that it would be cost-effective to treat 48-67 percent of all adults aged 40-75 in the US with cholesterol-lowering statins. By expanding the current recommended treatment guidelines and boosting the percentage of adults taking statins, an additional 161,560 cardiovascular-related events could be averted, according to the researchers.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Likely more of a problem with people that think food comes from small boxes, and all cooking consists of selecting the right box and putting it in the microwave for the right length of time.

Cluelessness is a basic component of the modern human condition. Keeps 'em docile and easy to herd.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Likely more of a problem with people that think food comes from small boxes, and all cooking consists of selecting the right box and putting it in the microwave for the right length of time.

Cluelessness is a basic component of the modern human condition. Keeps 'em docile and easy to herd.

I am not a savant on food nutrition, but I clearly know my weakness isn't lack of knowledge. My problem is on occasion that the hand and mouth usurp power from the brain and run wild until until order can be restored again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Of course people don't understand nutrition. Where are we ever taught it? Unless our parents were educated on the subject we would not have learned as children - and a lot of that would have been family folklore anyway. All I have learned required me studying on my own over several years. And much of what I learned has now been disregarded, I have to learn all over again.

There is so much conflicting information on the Internet, even someone searching for answers today will get lost many times over.

Cluelessness has always been part of the human condition.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is so much conflicting information on the Internet, even someone searching for answers today will get lost many times over.
Hear Hear
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Of course people don't understand nutrition. Where are we ever taught it?
Isn't that what all the stuff between Saturday morning cartoons was for? Teaching us the basic food groups... You know... pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers? All part of a balanced breakfast!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Isn't that what all the stuff between Saturday morning cartoons was for? Teaching us the basic food groups... You know... pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers? All part of a balanced breakfast!
Good one!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #57

I apologize in advance for posting this
"A team of researchers at Johns Hopkins University have found a link between the consumption of dog urine and the decreased likelihood of heart attacks, team leaders announced Tuesday in cracking, uneven voices."
Dog Urine Lowers Heart-Attack Risk, Say Snickering Researchers - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Well, that's the kid's version. The adult version is on later in the day - sugar, salt, fat, and alcohol.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting video on Youtube concerning saturated fats by a Dr. Yusuf.

Quote:
Dr. Salim Yusuf is the Marion W. Burke Chair in Cardiovascular Disease at McMaster University Medical School in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and the lead investigator in the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiological Study (PURE).

SalimYusuf Presents Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) Fndings

In he talks about a study that seems to contradict the World Health Organizations views on consuming fat, especially saturated fat. He attributes this 'error' to the use of surrogate end points - that is not actually measuring CVD but instead measuring things like cholesterol LDL levels. He does warn against consuming extreme amounts of fat in the diet.

The findings on fruits and veggies were a bit of a surprise to me. Regular daily consumption of all types of fruit was found to be protective, but veggies were not protective.

Of course, one study, especially an observational study does not conclusively prove anything. And, as many of us know, we each react differently to diet, medicine, etc.

Note: According to an article I read this video has been taken down from Youtube and added back several times.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #60

I suspect I will be dead for hundreds of years before any definitive findings are universally accepted as truth.