Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ron Paul
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 147
Ron Paul

Ron Paul is Congressman from Texas and a Republican candidate for President. He is also a pediatrian. Even though Ron Paul is a member of the Republican Party, he fundamentally is a Libertarian.

Here is the Health Care Reform Act he proposed to Congress on August 02, 2007.

Ron Paul Library, Introducing the Comprehensive Health Care Reform Act

Many articles and policy statements on health care by Ron Paul can be found here:

Ron Paul Health Care (from the Ron Paul Library)

Thoughts?
__________________

__________________
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 567
1. Seems pragmatic. I'm surprised he's made it this long. I like him

2. Never trust a man with two first names
__________________

__________________
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Posts: 1,005
I would not blame him for something his parents did to him...
__________________
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
pfpelican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 229
How did his parents pick his last name?
__________________
Old Guys Rule
pfpelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
I think his plan is fine for smart ,fairly healthy individuals but how will the uneducated who use most of the healthcare figure it out ?
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
2. Never trust a man with two first names
Serial killers usually have two names, assassins have three. But I dont think theres any correlation with multiple first names...hmmm...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 567
C'mon, that's playground common sense. Everyone knows that you should never trust a man with two first names. Just ask Google:

"Never trust a man with two first names" - Google Search
__________________
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,221
He is popular with the internet crowd.

But many don't see him as a viable candidate, if he stays around ($$),
he might have a chance to be a spoiler. He is not the normal religious
right winger, I'd might vote for him.

He was #1 in an ABC poll, but they threw out his results, stating it was
biased by the fore mention internet crowd. Gotta wonder about a
network that throws out results in its own poll because it doesn't like
the result.
TJ
__________________
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 860
I like some of his ideas, especially making every American eligible for an HSA, regardless of what kind of healthplan they have. We need to stop assuming that uneducated people are too stupid to figure out how to save some of their own money for out-of-pocket medical expenses or too stupid to figure out how to take advantage of tax deductions associated with those savings. It's not that complicated....Given the right money-saving incentives, even uneducated people will make an effort to understand how they can save money too. People will naturally gravitate towards higher deductible plans as they figure out that the combination of lower premiums and personal savings results in money-savings, in-general, over time.

I don't think he went into enough detail for most people to understand why his plan would work.

The dems won't like it, because it gives tax credits...(most people who can't afford health insurance in the first place, don't pay much taxes, so the tax credits really aren't of much benefit to them). On the other hand, you have to look at the BIGGER picture. A good portion of the uninsured can actually afford insurance, but choose not to have it. If we can give those people an incentive to purchase, at minimum, catastrophic health insurance coverage, we will bring a lot more healthy people into the risk pool, which results in lower premiums for everyone.

Any plan for reform needs to address those people who will slip through the cracks. Ron Paul's plan doesn't seem to do that. There's got to be some kind of guaranteed issue plan for those who can't medically qualify, and it needs to be accessible and affordable, on a sliding scale, for anyone who might "slip through the cracks". IMO, this plan needs to be either a limited benefit plan or a catastrophic plan (not a full-coverage plan).
__________________
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
He appears to be a nutball who will remain a fringe candidate outside his home state. But we got lots of those...
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs View Post
Blah Blah Blah
Oh let me guess...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 330
As usual, in America we never elect the candidates who make the most sense. Anyone who speaks their convictions and not the political party line(s) are called, crazy, nut cases and other names by seemingly so-called more "intelligent", individuals.
If only enough Americans got off their butts and went to the polls and got rid of the status-quo , republicans/democrats (synonyms) and elected people who are for ALL Americans (not just the rich) we might make this country of ours great.
__________________
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
He appears to be a nutball who will remain a fringe candidate outside his home state. But we got lots of those...
I've seen similar statements made about Paul in the face of mostly positive feedback, and I haven't yet figured out why. I don't know that much about him, but, from what I've read, he seems to be a decently intelligent, non-panderer. Sounds good to me. So, for all those who think he should be wearing a hat made of tin foil, can you please enlighten me? UVA
__________________
UVaOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
here he is in disguise... Note the similarity !

Note also the similarity to Pat Paulson. Is that a coincidence You be the judge !

__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVaOK View Post
I've seen similar statements made about Paul in the face of mostly positive feedback, and I haven't yet figured out why.
A. Some people don't like change
B. Some people don't want to hear the truth or don't care to hear an
opinion that's not their own. This is the reason why Rush, Hannity, etc are
popular.
C. You have to be extreme right/left to win your party's nomination, Paul will have to run as a libertarian, that's why McCain and Giuliani won't get the
republican nomination, bet on Thompson or Romney, versus HC or Obama,
with Edwards trying for VP again (Perfect job for him, he did nothing as a
senator, he could do equally nothing as VP).

Remember Howard Dean, like Paul, he had a strong internet following,
unfortunately, that doesn't translate to votes because outspoken
internet geeks don't vote (this would change if we ever had internet
voting of course). Dean thought about running as an independent but
the Dems stepped in, bribed him not to run by making him the DNC
chairman.

TJ
__________________
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
A. Some people don't like change
B. Some people don't want to hear the truth or don't care to hear an
opinion that's not their own. This is the reason why Rush, Hannity, etc are
popular.
C. You have to be extreme right/left to win your party's nomination, Paul will have to run as a libertarian, that's why McCain and Giuliani won't get the
republican nomination, bet on Thompson or Romney, versus HC or Obama,
with Edwards trying for VP again (Perfect job for him, he did nothing as a
senator, he could do equally nothing as VP).

Remember Howard Dean, like Paul, he had a strong internet following,
unfortunately, that doesn't translate to votes because outspoken
internet geeks don't vote (this would change if we ever had internet
voting of course). Dean thought about running as an independent but
the Dems stepped in, bribed him not to run by making him the DNC
chairman.
It's not his occupation of the "political fringe" or long-shot candidacy that I am questioning; I'm fully on board with that. Any non-panderer with more than a modicum of common sense doesn't really stand much of a chance in our flawed system.

It is the less vocal minority who label him a "nutjob" that I am questioning. Thus far, because I haven't encountered any substance to back up such claims, I can only assume they're just the usual ad-hominem attacks. You are, of course, correct in your assertions that some folks don't like change and most don't like to be confronted with contrary political opinions, but this still doesn't explain his "lunatic" and "nutjob" labels.

If the guy has truly proposed some off-the-wall policies, I am more than willing to hear about and be swayed by them; however, not a single instance of this has been forthcoming, and, until it is, I'm not willing to join the "nutjob" bandwagon.
__________________
UVaOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman View Post
Ron Paul is Congressman from Texas and a Republican candidate for President. He is also a pediatrian. Even though Ron Paul is a member of the Republican Party, he fundamentally is a Libertarian.

Thoughts?
The guy is an idiot and he clearly represents his constituents of Texas, probably more so than the current resident of the white house. Hard to believe, yes but there are a lot more where they came from.

If you want the Harry Trumans, John F. Kennedys, FDR's or Bill Clintons - You have to vote Democratic and quit looking under Cesspools for these other losers.
__________________
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
The guy is an idiot and he clearly represents his constituents of Texas, probably more so than the current resident of the white house. Hard to believe, yes but there are a lot more where they came from.

If you want the Harry Trumans, John F. Kennedys, FDR's or Bill Clintons - You have to vote Democratic and quit looking under Cesspools for these other losers.
Still guzzling the Kool-Aid I see.... ...

Satan himself could run and you'd vote for him as long as there was a (D) after his name.
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
The guy is an idiot and he clearly represents his constituents of Texas, probably more so than the current resident of the white house. Hard to believe, yes but there are a lot more where they came from.

If you want the Harry Trumans, John F. Kennedys, FDR's or Bill Clintons - You have to vote Democratic and quit looking under Cesspools for these other losers.
I'd be thrilled with HT, JFK, FDR, or even BC, instead the stupid Dems
keep pushing un-electable candidates.

Yep, don't use facts or logic, just name calling, so typical of dems, can't
form a constructive argument.

Dems would have easily won last 2 presidential elections if they didn't
let the far left pick the candidate, didn't learn much from Bill. Of course
if they all "think" like you, guess that explains it.

TJ
__________________
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
The guy is an idiot...

Why?

I have no problem with ad-hominem attacks so long as they are validly backed by past arguments of substance; so far as I can tell, and, using some of the responses to this thread as an example, those against Ron Paul are not.

Please feel free to read either of my other posts in this thread and offer some follow-up insight into the "idiocy" and "nutjob" status of Ron Paul.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
UVaOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Withdrawal Rates in Paul Merrimans Book Hydroman FIRE and Money 17 05-10-2006 05:14 PM
Ronco's Ron Popeil retires at 70. Nords Other topics 8 10-03-2005 08:55 PM
Paul Strauss WCRTdotORG Hi, I am... 12 08-06-2005 12:40 AM
Ron Paul on Greenspan Mountain_Mike Other topics 0 02-24-2005 08:42 AM
Paul Grangaard's Books moguls FIRE and Money 7 12-17-2003 04:40 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.