Sad News From Younger Next Year

I don't know this author. The cause of death is prostate cancer. It's sad. You can do everything right, eat the right food and exercise, but cancer hits randomly and spares nobody.

Wait a minute. This guy's a doctor and he hasn't been getting his prostate checked for the past 8 years?

There is such a thing as aggressive prostate cancer and it occurs more often in younger men than the geriatric set e.g. Dan Fogelburg, Frank Zappa. But it'snot likely that it was so aggressive that it all came up overnight and was already too far gone before his next prostate exam.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and have taken much of its advice to heart.

Sorry to see him, or anyone, go that young.

Some things are just beyond our control, as much as we might wish that wasn't so. This is very sad news. He helped so many others to become more healthy, yet died so young himself.

R.I.P., Dr. Lodge.

Oh no!!!

To be honest, I feared this was going to be about Chris Crowley. Sadly surprised to see it was Dr. Lodge, a much younger man.

RIP, Harry. Yours and Chris' work is much appreciated. :(

Wait a minute. This guy's a doctor and he hasn't been getting his prostate checked for the past 8 years?

There is such a thing as aggressive prostate cancer and it occurs more often in younger men than the geriatric set e.g. Dan Fogelburg, Frank Zappa. But it'snot likely that it was so aggressive that it all came up overnight and was already too far gone before his next prostate exam.

The medical community is (unfortunately, I think) conflicted about PSA screening, so a decent number of doctors do not recommend it, as least absent specific risk factors. Beyond that, there are some prostate cancer variants that can be very aggressive and can kill you even if you are monitoring closely, including some high grade tumors that emit very little PSA -- so you might have a 1.5 PSA but still have a Gleason 9 tumor. My father died of this. Tough way to go.

It's sad, just more thing we have to check. I need to get my husband to go check for a few things, skin cancer is one, I've read somebody died recently on the Internet, and now this. It's on my list to get the right doctor for my husband. Oh the joy of getting older.

Very sad news, I really enjoyed that book.

A new test using an MRI could well be in the near future for prostate cancer screening.

'Huge leap' in prostate cancer testing - BBC News

The biggest leap in diagnosing prostate cancer "in decades" has been made using new scanning equipment, say doctors and campaigners.
Using advanced MRI nearly doubles the number of aggressive tumours that are caught.
And the trial on 576 men, published in the Lancet, showed more than a quarter could be spared invasive biopsies, which can lead to severe side-effects.
The NHS is already reviewing whether the scans can be introduced widely.

I'm a prostate cancer survivor. For the life of me (I guess that's literally) I don't understand the controversy about PSA test. It's a small amount of blood that is used for the test, and if it shows any cause for concern (e.g., a sharp increase in a short time) follow-up tests are done. In other words, no treatment is done solely on a PSA test. So why would a doctor, or any male for that matter, not have a PSA done?
I fully acknowledge we don't know any of the details in Dr. Lodge's case. In any event, it is sad.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time PSA tests apparently registered a lot of false positives.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time PSA tests apparently registered a lot of false positives.

Yes, it's a problem.
I have a large (well, enormous actually) prostate, so my PSA readings have always been high.

I've had four biopsies in the last 20 years, and all have been negative, so I'm OK but that high reading tends to freak out the average doctor.

My urologist, who did all the biopsies and has been following me all this time, says he thinks I'm fine (except for that big gland), but still wants to see a PSA test every year.

I also find it interesting how the PSA reading goes up and down, so there is quite a bit of variability involved. Better to look at trends than individual readings.

Yes, it's estimated to be as high as 80%. Even the doctor (Dr. Ablin) who discovered PSA said it should never have been approved as a screening test.

I've been using the 'Younger Next Year: The Exercise Program' for several months and really like it.

Last edited:
Yes, it's estimated to be as high as 80%. Even the doctor (Dr. Ablin) who discovered PSA said it should never have been approved as a screening test.

The argument against population-based prostate cancer screening, as I understand it, is that leads to any people having biopsies that turn out to be negative, but yet there is some morbidity associated with the biopsy procedure, including a non-trivial rate of sepsis. But more than that, many of these biopsies will reveal what are probably indolent tumors. And most who are diagnosed with those tumors will go on to get treatment, and will suffer associated side effects and diminished quality of life, all to "cure" a cancer that did not need a a cure. That's the theory, anyway.

A counter-argument is that (1) some people will unnecessarily die if they don't get screened, and (2) the "overtreatment" problem does not require an end to screening, but instead better decision making about treatments, including more use of Active Surveilance for low-risk cancers. I tend to favor that argument, but what do I know...

For those with an enlarged prostate, PSA density can be a useful measure -- that measures total psa divided by prostate size, to account for the fact that larger prostates produce more PSA.

Someone also mentioned the trend in PSA levels being more useful than a single test -- what they refer to as "PSA velocity" -- I agree that is useful, though like lots of things with prostate cancer, you can find different opinions.

I am not a doctor, and none of this is medical advice.

^ I think an additional aspect of it is that PC treatment used to involve prostatectomies, which can (often do?) affect sexual function. Making the trade of life over a sex life is pretty rational, but the loss of sexual function for a male can be a severe negative in terms of QOL.

I agree with the comment that detection of PC shouldn't imply active treatment, but I can imagine it's a hard sell - "Oh, I have cancer in my private parts and you want to just do a wait and see?" but the side effects of active treatment really balance out the argument in my view.

I do like the idea of visiting the doctor yearly for a general checkup including PSA and looking at velocity. I've long thought that one of the reasons that women live longer than men in the US is that they are more likely to at least see an OBGYN yearly and are more likely to go to the doctor when problems occur. Since I'd like to live a reasonably long life, I've been going to my GP annually for the past four or five years. I do get a PSA done and my numbers are low and stable currently.

Read the book, enjoyed it, sorry to hear about Dr. Lodge.

That is a shame. Younger Next Year was pretty compelling and I have incorporated some of it's prescriptions into my routine. I liked the two authors. Unfortunately, I suspect many people will fail to achieve the authors' prime directive - work out HARD, six days a week, for the rest of your life. I hope the competing advice from The Body by Science and HIIT camp is on the mark. They advise that you can achieve the same goals by engaging in a brief (20-30 minutes) series of all out sprints and/or lifts a couple of times a week. HIIT is a more realistic goal for many.

I'm a prostate cancer survivor. For the life of me (I guess that's literally) I don't understand the controversy about PSA test. It's a small amount of blood that is used for the test, and if it shows any cause for concern (e.g., a sharp increase in a short time) follow-up tests are done. In other words, no treatment is done solely on a PSA test. So why would a doctor, or any male for that matter, not have a PSA done?
I fully acknowledge we don't know any of the details in Dr. Lodge's case. In any event, it is sad.

I am very suspicious of the medical/insurance community's need to control costs ... at my health's expense. I'd rather have to tussle personally with my PSA data then to delete the test. Luckily for me, the PSA readings have been normal.

Very surprising. I too thought it would be Crowley. Dr Lodge is (was) way too young to pass. I still like Younger Next year's advice... Work out 6 days a week.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Well he was divorced and maybe sexual function was a large factor in his life.

I have had 4 friends with prostate cancer. Two of them died at 62 and two of them are surviving without traditional sex after having it removed.

I just took Thinner This Year out from the library yesterday--nothing too revolutionary there but inspirational if a bit over the top by the Crowley author. However, the publisher has downloadable "cheat sheets" of the recommended warm-ups and exercises in the book here: workman.com/ynyexercises in two horizontal bars above the books' links. I'll take them to the gym.

Back
Top Bottom